Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone else a comics geek?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone else a comics geek?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 03:36

I'm a long time collector, of a number of titles and publishers, and I've gotta say... I'm really impressed with the job DC is doing of setting up a massive story in Infinite Crisis. If you go back and look, they've been planting the seeds for this in a dozen regular titles for almost two years. There have been hints *everywhere*... but subtle. Just little things that seemed out of place at the time make sense now. Toss in the dedicated four mini-series that really set the stage, and it's pretty impressive.

My hat is off to them.
¡Damned!

2005-10-13, 10:44

I wouldn't call myself a collector per se, but I've got quite a few comics in my library. I started picking them up when I lived in Oz in the early eighties. The Phantom ruled back then. Great comics to have still too.

Lots of Miller stuff of course. I'm especially fond of my first edition 'The Dark Knight Returns' hardcover, and a series he did in the late 80s called 'Give Me Liberty'. Fantastic storyline.

I was never really into Superman, but I like 'The Death of Superman' a bunch. Doomsday was awesome.

Other than that, a bunch of older Spiderman & Batman comics...I was into The Green Lantern when...shit, I forget his name...anyways I was fond of one of them and when the new guy came in I didn't like him as much and stopped following.

But yeah, I dig comics.

So it goes.
Amadeus

2005-10-13, 15:38

I was never into Comics.

My wife enjoys following them in the Boston Globe. Her favorite is Zippy.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 16:18

Wow. *Nobody* here is a comics head?

How depressing.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-10-13, 16:28

I quite like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

And the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-13, 16:51

I have a collection from about 15 years ago. Haven't done much with them since though... I've thought of selling them actually. Just don't care to take the time to write up up I guess. Maybe they'll get more valuable or something?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-13, 16:55

I used to be, about 25 years ago or so, in my middle school and early high school years.

wish I'd kept my collection, it would be very sweet to still have - but alas, I sold it for Beer Money in my teenage years
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-13, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Wow. *Nobody* here is a comics head?

How depressing.

Somehow, I'm not depressed by this revelation.

The only two comics that I've ever truly dove into were Asterix and Tintin I've read every single publication of both. Additionally, of course I read Calvin and Hobbes.

I never really got into the whole action comic, superhero, DC, marvel thing. But I was a big fan of X-men, Spider-man and Batman animated cartoons which, from what I understand, all did a fairly good job portraying the central comic story arcs. Of course, I'm sure the comics get much crazier.

I also read some Squee and Johnny comics, entertaining or a bit, got old quickly though.
Axl

2005-10-13, 17:49

Along with Astrix and Tintin, as a kid I also read Gaston. What a great part of class in a french elementary school getting my hands on any Gaston Lagaffe comics during reading period. He always managed to fuck shit up, all the kids liked him.

I also read my bro's Marvel and DC comics, which were amazing, but mom chucked them (about a thousand+) in the can because "they were the devvvil".

Do Marvel or DC offer digitized copies of their comics? I wouldn't mind checking out a few if they could be purchased and viewed on screen in a slide show type mode. If the iPod ever ups the screen size, it'd be great to view one panel at a time.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-13, 23:42

I'm glad that we'll be getting a new English translation of the (French) comic book series "XIII," starting next year. Only the first three volumes were translated into English originally. XIII is great - think "The Bourne Identity" with double the awesome.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 23:47

I voraciously read every Asterix and Tintin when I was a kid. Now I buy mostly DC and Marvel, but a few indies thrown in. (Warren Ellis' _Fell_ is brilliant.)

You know those 28" longboxes? Yeah, I've got 16 upstairs in the study. :} I'm seriously looking at replacing them with metal lateral file cabinets. Those take up much less room, as you can get to everything easily. I guess that's what I get for collecting for almost 20 years. Oops.
JohnnyTheA

2005-10-14, 01:55

I like OLD Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spidey, Iron Man, X-Men, etc... I am trying to collect a 20 year complete run of Avengers (1972 to 1992). I have almost all of them... When I am done, I will read each one, and then sell them from the same place I got them from..... Ebay!

I don't like the new comics for some reason.. Maybe its because the cost is so high. The quality of the paper and printing is way too high for a comic book! The stories are good I suppose... But for the same price I can get old ones that, I suppose, are rather nostalgic. I suppose nostalgia really is a sickness... Oh well... Tony Stark had problems too....

Johnny
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-10-14, 01:58

I picked up Frank Miller's Batman series (The Dark Night Returns) when it came in paperback, and thought it was totally badass. Arkham Asylum was awesome, too. Even before those, I used to pick up the occasional comic now & then, but never really collected any of them.

Later, I found "adult" comics, and... well, the superhero stuff just wasn't as interesting anymore.. lol
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-10-15, 16:20

I loved Archie. The odd thing is, nobody else seems to like it. I just don't get it.

Asterix and Tintin is high on my list.

I really never dug DC or Marvel; the superhoero/villainy thing was too dull and dry for me. Or am I hopelessly beyond any help?
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-10-15, 17:32

I have a couple boxes of comics in plastic covers, but never really got into it. I remember really digging Power Man and Iron Fist when I was a kid. Iron Fist fucking kicked ass. I have an issue of the X-Men where Iron Fist comes in and pretty much takes all of the pussies out.

I think it was worth some decent money, but I haven't checked in ages. It's mint. Maybe I'll sell it for some beer.
midwinter

Send a message via ICQ to midwinter Send a message via AIM to midwinter  
2005-10-15, 22:23

I have about a thousand comics (DC and Marvel, mostly) from the early and mid 80s. If anyone is looking for something, lemme know. I want to get rid of them.

angry people are not always wise
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-15, 22:27

*MEEEEEEEEE*!

*ahem*

PM me, let's tawk.
SlackerDX

2005-10-16, 11:53

I was into comics a few years ago but I just stopped having time to read them all. The price also caught up with me. I'd be dropping $100 a month to clear out my file at the store and wouldn't have the time to read the stack. I loved Daredevil and most of the Ultimate comics.

DC is doing something big...I never finished Identity Crisis, which I heard was awesome. Maybe it's time to get back in.
holbox

2005-10-16, 13:16

With the full realization that I'm dating myself the two finest comics of all time were:

"POGO" by Walt Kelly. Brilliant writing. Great characters. Wonderful art.

"LITTLE ABNER" by Al Capp. His humor, wit and characters had the interest of the whole USA.

The theme of both these were just sheer fun, but they both also gave a responsible message to the reader. Not a mean bone in their long runs.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-16, 14:28

But where's the fun in that?

I have to admit, I'm kind of curious that most of the ones listed here as favorites are what I'd call newspaper comic strips, not comic-as-graphic-literature. I'm much more into the latter. 100 Bullets, for instance, is a full-on mature-readers-only story about conspiracies, crime syndicates, and revenge. Eisner award winner, too. As is Y: The Last Man, an odd post-apocalyptic jaunt where the apocalypse wiped out every male human and primate on the planet - except one. Very not played for laughs. (Much.) Alan Moore's Promethea turned into an incredible lecture on mysticism around the world, tying much of it into the framework of the Cabbala. You've gotta love a comic that includes a bibliography.

The fights-and-tights genre has to be rooted in good characterization for me to really get into it - luckily, there are some top talents doing that. Brian Bendis' Powers is great, as is his work in the Marvel Ultimates universe. (First time I've really gotten into Marvel since the New U days - no, I'm not a fan of their regular continuity.) Geoff Johns is kicking *ass* over in at DC, literally. He's the mastermind behind Identity/Infinite Crisis, and he's cleaning house by knocking off characters left and right. It's almost bloody... but he's doing so in a way that actually respects 60 years of continuity instead of trashing it. He has *such* a strong sense of the characters that he can weave them into something new. Devin Grayson is another writer with a great sense of the characters, and she's become a primary force in the Batman titles, making them more human, and utilizing it as strength and flaw. Good stuff.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-10-16, 15:58

As a kid I had a ton of Donald Duck magazines and "pocket books" (think album on cheap paper. I don't know if they use this format outside Finland/Europe). Then I had some Lucky Luke, Tintin, many Asterix albums. Later, Calvin and Hobbes, Dilbert.

All that still exists, but I don't have it at home.

Nowadays I read albums only. I also read comics on the computer, webcomics and rarely a pile of scans off a torrent. I don't care about "collecting" which I consider a nuisance, only about the content. Decently bound book-size albums and digital stuff minimize the amount of "collecting" I have to do. My only contact with magazines is I read Spider-Man and the occasional DC/Marvel specials at a friend's place. Most of it is pretty bad, punctuated with the rare decent story in the specials.

(I recognize the "good" comics also come to be through magazines, so quality is not a function of the format. I just don't like the extraneous organizing and storing problems that come with magazines versus a bound album. Obviously it's a good thing someone likes to buy the magazines so there will be a collection offered later I can buy.)

In my shelf now: a full set of Sandman from Neil Gaiman. Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen from Alan Moore. A couple of Hellboy albums from Mike Mignola. Nausicaa from Miyazaki. Ghost in the Shell from Shirow. Sanctuary from Fumimura & Ikegami. Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics. (Recommended even if you're not interested in comics as such.) Short Program from Mitsuru Adachi. (Short love stories. Bought pretty much at random. Turned out to be good.)

Recently I read all of Transmetropolitan and Preacher. Great, wild stuff. Especially Transmetropolitan. Recommended.

Other good things off the top of my head: From Hell from Alan Moore. Some Sin City stories and Batman: Dark Knight from Frank Miller.

Comics I'd like to get into: something from Osamu Tezuka.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-16, 20:32

I actually had dinner with Scott McCloud shortly after Reinventing Comics came out - he spoke at a conference I was at, and I surprised myself by asking him if he dinner plans. He did not, (who lets the keynote speaker be alone at the conference?? really now) so I invited him to join my advisor and I. We spent about three hours geeking out about comics and film, much to my advisor's amusement.

I can second pretty much everything you listed, I'd also add Grant Morrison's Animal Man run, and his work on JLA. The former was wonderfully strange in his meta-analysis of the relationship between characters and their creators, while his JLA run was truly... epic. Sounds crazy to discuss a comic in those terms, but it's true - he upped the ante in such imaginative ways that it made your brain stretch a bit, and he pointed out some of the inanities in comicdom, all the while creating what can only be considered a modern version of a pantheon of myth. I was surprised by how much fun it was to read.