AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New 15" PB screens bad quality?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New 15" PB screens bad quality?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
n2o2

Send a message via AIM to n2o2  
2005-11-14, 07:34

There seem to be a number of complaints about the new PB 15" displays. People clearly see darker and lighter horizontal lines.
More info about this issue can be found here: http://15inpbscreen.appleplace.com
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-14, 07:43

Was there a point to this thread? From your message there isn't really a point.

Was there a question, or did you just want to point people to a site?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-14, 07:56

This could be useful info for some. I'm interested. Thanks n2o2
n2o2

2005-11-14, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Was there a question, or did you just want to point people to a site?
I ordered three and expect them to be delivered later this week. I want to know if this is a defect of all new 15" PB's or just a (big) batch...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-14, 08:26

My point was the start of the thread was vague. You made a statement that didn't give much info other than a link. If there is an issue I know many would be interested in knowing about it, but maybe next time you could be more specific on the start of a thread. This might be a time to be a little more verbose with details like the fact that you just ordered three and are interested if this is an isolated issue or widespread, etc...

That being said, I hope yours are fine. If not one thing I have learned from my time with Apple so far is they will take care of any issues that are their fault.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Guido

2005-11-14, 08:41

Quote:
This might be a time to be a little more verbose with details like the fact that you just ordered three and are interested if this is an isolated issue or widespread, etc...
Erm, actually, this is definitely a time for you to be a lot less verbose. STFU etc.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-11-14, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Erm, actually, this is definitely a time for you to be a lot less verbose. STFU etc.
WTF?
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-11-14, 09:33

There's a post on Daring Fireball that touches on this issue. Apparently it is a problem that some people experience - NOT some screens. i.e. some people see these lines on every 15" PB screen, others don't see them at all.

Probably a lot like 1-chip DLP rear projection TVs. Some people see rainbows in high action scenes, others do not.
n2o2

2005-11-14, 11:45

I received the first of 3 PB 15" a few minutes ago. Tested it right away using this image: http://crankycat.com/pb15_problems.png

The screen has the issue exactly as discribed. Will call AppleCare first thing tomorrow.

If the other two also have this issue, that would be very bad...
mooty

2005-11-14, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
There's a post on Daring Fireball that touches on this issue. Apparently it is a problem that some people experience - NOT some screens. i.e. some people see these lines on every 15" PB screen, others don't see them at all.

Probably a lot like 1-chip DLP rear projection TVs. Some people see rainbows in high action scenes, others do not.
how would you explain the photos then? would some see the evidence in the photos and some not?
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-11-14, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rpheen
how would you explain the photos then? would some see the evidence in the photos and some not?
I wouldn't try to explain it. I'm not the one making claims. Take it to Daring Fireball if you have a beef - all I said in my prior post was report that he'd posted about the issue and the gist of what he said.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-11-14, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o2
I received the first of 3 PB 15" a few minutes ago. Tested it right away using this image: http://crankycat.com/pb15_problems.png

The screen has the issue exactly as discribed. Will call AppleCare first thing tomorrow.

If the other two also have this issue, that would be very bad...
So you went IN knowing to look for these "problems"? With a "test" designed specifically to highlight the problem?? That's a recipe for finding some. I'm not disputing that there are problems, but if you look for some, chances are they'll be there.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-11-14, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
So you went IN knowing to look for these "problems"? With a "test" designed specifically to highlight the problem?? That's a recipe for finding some. I'm not disputing that there are problems, but if you look for some, chances are they'll be there.
Seems to me you would have been better off using the PB's for your normal use. Then if there is a problem you can address it. Seems to me a test "designed" to show a flaw is just what torifile says.

So my question to you is: Is there an issue in your normal use? Would this be a non-issue if you hadn't been hyped about it?

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-11-14, 14:29

This problem is being discussed on multiple forums now. I'm surprised n2o2 is getting such the cold reception for bringing up this issue. There have been some A/B comparisons of the last gen PB screen to the new one and the new screen has a horizontal line issue that just doesn't exist with the last gen PBs.

Last edited by bassplayinMacFiend : 2005-11-14 at 14:52.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-14, 14:36

I'm with the bass fiend here.

PowerBooks are aimed at professionals who will pick up immediately on such defects. I hope Apple addresses this problem.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-11-14, 14:40

agreed, i wouldnt want a half-assed piece of equipment that cost me $2000+, im sure everyone here would do the same thing he is
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-11-14, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
agreed, i wouldnt want a half-assed piece of equipment that cost me $2000+, im sure everyone here would do the same thing he is
Luckily for you, the 15" model is only $1999 with free shipping!
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-14, 15:49

Quote:
If not one thing I have learned from my time with Apple so far is they will take care of any issues that are their fault.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Ahem.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

/True.
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-11-14, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o2
I ordered three and expect them to be delivered later this week. I want to know if this is a defect of all new 15" PB's or just a (big) batch...
Are the lines in the picture only supposed to show up on a PowerBook screen or is it just so you can compare? Im seeing lines in the right pictures on my PowerMac with Benq FP783...

jm.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-14, 17:32

The pictures on the right-hand-side of the "test picture" going around, are meant to have lines. The test picture is here: http://crankycat.com/pb15_problems.png.

Jeez. The guy who's hosting that is gonna get bandwidth usage penalties for sure.

[Edit] Ew... yucky spelling mistake. /OCD

bouncy bouncy

Last edited by SonOfSylvanus : 2005-11-14 at 18:08.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-14, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmahe19
Are the lines in the picture only supposed to show up on a PowerBook screen or is it just so you can compare? Im seeing lines in the right pictures on my PowerMac with Benq FP783...
The lines on the right appear on all screens. However, as the page says, when offset by one pixel vertically, on the defective LCDs those lines will "disappear" because of the existing lines in the display itself.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
jbsengineer

2005-11-14, 18:29

i don't have or intend to buy a new 15" pb but i find this thread very interesting. so interesting i just read 16 pages of discussion on some other forums. really seems like a widespread issue as I saw atleast 100 or so different people with the problem and only a couple without the issue - possibly because they don't notice it... also Apple seems to be deleted and locking threads about it on there forums.

i would like to see what Apple does to address these PB's... i read a couple stories of sending the new PB in for repair just to recieve it back with a "within specs" note. since when are lighter/darker lines in your lcd display normal??
chantman

2005-11-14, 20:56

I'm sitting here with my new 15" Powerbook (first Mac I've ever owned). When I view the test picture posted a few posts up, I have the problems with the wavy lines. I also noticed the problems earlier on, but thought it was just my eyes. I hope something is done to make this right.
shell

2005-11-14, 21:39

I just tried out the "test picture," and no matter how hard I strain I cannot see any wavy lines in the picture. The banding is definately there, I don't know what to make of that, since the same affect also shows up on my old iBook screen; it's not something unique to the PB.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-14, 21:48

The colored wavy lines aren't the problem; that's just an artifact of the camera's CCD. The horizontal banding is the problem.
chantman

2005-11-14, 22:53

I noticed the horizontal banding too... Have not tried it on another monitor. I do notice it on things other than the test picture. Right now my file menu bar is banded...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-11-14, 23:34

Seeing as a PowerBook is likely to be sold to people who do professional graphics work, those lines are a serious problem.

Hopefully this will get fixed, but I'd be interested to have people try looking at these images on a variety of LCD's. I wonder if it's an Apple LCD display issue or just an LCD issue in general.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
shell

2005-11-14, 23:38

Wait a minute, the "File" menu, like all menus is banded because it's supposed to look that way. Notice that the file-folder icon is also banded, but hte bands are at a 15? angle. What I wonder is how many people have noticed banding other than in the menus (where it's normal) or the "test picture" which is of dubious source.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-14, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
I wonder if it's an Apple LCD display issue or just an LCD issue in general.
Well, it doesn't happen on my 12" PowerBook. So, I doubt it's the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell
...the "test picture" which is of dubious source.
*sigh* Please, re-read the original complaint.

This has nothing to do with the Aqua stripes in menus or on folders. It has everything to do with lines appearing over graphics that don't have lines and canceling-out lines that are supposed to be there!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-11-14, 23:48

When I say an LCD issue, I mean outside of just Apple's 15" laptop displays. I'm sure it's not across all LCD's, but I'd be surprised if we didn't find out that there were a lot of LCD's (from other companies) that display this same problem when looking at the test picture.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me