New iPod's Untold Secrets?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iPod's Untold Secrets?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
iMeowbot

2004-07-29, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Yep, and apparently what PortalPlayer offers in public plans may be more relevant to the specific intentions of Apple than either company has been willing to indicate. In this Wired interview, Ben Knoss states that Apple own a majority stake in PortalPlayer. Neither Apple nor PortalPlayer seem to be very keen on discussing ownership, so it's hard to confirm if it's really a subsidiary. One can, however, see that in older PP press releases they used to include a list of major investors, and in later communications they do not mention ownership at all.
CoreMac

2004-07-29, 14:56

Remember the Music item in the top level of the new iPod menu? Isn't that a clue that something else is coming?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-29, 15:03

Man, I had blown off the idea of getting a new iPod, but now I might get one anyway. I've got a lot of money in the bank AND I have 25 extra hours of work coming up in the next week or two (above and beyond my normal schedule).

Gimme another week, I'll crack eventually.
iMeowbot

2004-07-29, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Well, someone at AI claims to have confirmation
There are disassembly photos here
that suggest otherwise. If there was WiFi built in, the only spot for an antenna would be along the inside of the plastic half of the clamsell, and it ain't there.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-07-29, 16:52

Would it take anything special to make a wireless adapter for the iPod or could they just make something that plugs into the iPod and update the firmware to take advantage of it?
iMeowbot

2004-07-29, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Would it take anything special to make a wireless adapter for the iPod or could they just make something that plugs into the iPod and update the firmware to take advantage of it?
Yep, it would be straightforward to do an external encoder/transmitter deal, and even preferable because it could have its own battery. The iPod should even have enough horsepower to do the lossless encoding itself, which would be nice for keeping the cost down for the peripheral.

The only firmware change I see a real need for (other than the possible encoder, which for all we know could already be in there) would be something that can grab a list of addresses from the adapter and display them in the iPod's menu for choosing an AirPort with ZeroConf.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-07-29, 19:13

Then I guess a wireless adapter is a real possibility. Thats pretty cool. Now the only questions that remain are whether it is worth while for apple (or a third party) to develop this adapter and what it would be used for.

edit: spelling
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 19:40

What can it be used for? Am I hearing (reading) you right?

AirPort Express WiFi remote
or bluetooth.

That's good enough for me. I'm still holding out hope that one of those chips that hasn't been "deciphered" yet is a bluetooth module or some sort of WiFi thing.

Come waste your time with me
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-07-29, 19:49

The remote is an obvious choice, but there has to be some other application we havent thought of yet. Dont get me wrong, the remote in itself will be pretty sick but there has to be something more to it than that. Maybe Im just dreaming, I dont know. Its really hot out right now.
iMeowbot

2004-07-29, 21:15

What I'd want (not that Apple necessarily have any intention of building such a thing) would not be simply a remote to run iTunes on a computer. That wouldn't be cool enough.

It might allow the iPod to beam songs directly to one of those nice little AirPort boxes, nice for parties and stuff where you don't want your little toy to get demolished.

Also, and this would be the fun part, it could act sort of like an AirTunes receiver, letting you listen to songs shared by computers on the LAN, sort of like what iTunes allows now. It would be fun in a dorm setting, maybe useful in a library (Duke will want to some up with something practical sooner or later), or in the future could provide a whole different sort of digital radio (music on demand, presumably with ads forced in every x minutes ), if public wireless networks with decent bandwidth ever get off the ground for real.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-07-29, 22:47

You know what I forgot about, Home on iPod. Anybody think this will see the light of day soon or will Apple wait until Tiger to release this. Just some more food for thought.
Quagmire
meh

2004-07-29, 23:18

Arghh... I person over at the support forums at apple.com claims he found it. Which I doubt but, we are pressuring him to give us a hint if it exists.

giggity
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-29, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Home on iPod. Anybody think this will see the light of day soon or will Apple wait until Tiger to release this.
I seriously doubt that will be happening any time soon. Putting one's home on the iPod means it would be accessing almost constantly. That's really bad for the iPod's little drive and will dramatically shorten its life.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Quagmire
meh

2004-07-29, 23:50

Holy sh*t. I think I found it. I am not going to tell. It will be alot more fun if you people find it on there own.

Last edited by Quagmire : 2004-07-29 at 23:58.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-07-29, 23:59

Undertaker, if you know then tell us. "I know how do something cool, but I'm not going to tell you guys" it pretty frickin' rude
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-07-30, 00:00

Ah for f**k sakes. Its a good thing my iPod shipped today cuz this is driving me nuts.
Quagmire
meh

2004-07-30, 00:02

I was told by DMB but, he was also not sure that this was a feature on the 3gs. If you hold down the select button and let go the ipod will randomly select a song.

giggity
moazam

2004-07-30, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I was told by DMB but, he was also not sure that this was a feature on the 3gs. If you hold down the select button and let go the ipod will randomly select a song.
I. am. so. excited.

:/

-M
CoreMac

2004-07-30, 00:05

Quote:
That's what's taking their breath away on the Apple support forums?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-30, 00:08

Quote:
Holy sh*t. I think I found it. I am not going to tell. It will be alot more fun if you people find it on there own.
Wow Undertaker! You get a cookie for finding out!

Now you can be just like Kurt Cobain:

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2004-07-30, 01:06

I guess that's what people get for such rampant speculation

But realistically, that doesn't in any way explain Time's tease.

Hmm...

Maybe they know the iPod minis are going to be upgraded? Or maybe they know we'll finally see the iPod video soon? Heck, maybe they just know a 60 GB model is coming.

What they're talking about really doesn't sound like a hidden feature in the current iPods to me...
synotic

2004-07-30, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Time Magazine has called the 4th Generation iPod its "Gadget of the Week" and has said some pretty wild and interesting things about the new unit. Mainly this: If you're thinking about finally getting an iPod, now's your chance. If you're thinking about handing down your current iPod and getting a new one with a bigger hard drive, now's your chance. But don't feel pressured into upgrading, because no major bragging rights will go to the possessors of these latest iPods. That is, not yet.
For anyone who didn't read the article, I think that's a bad quote. The more compelling one:

Quote:
But you should know that internally the new iPod is a ground-up reconstruction, and its really compelling applications — the ones that very well might get the goat of anyone unable or unwilling to upgrade — are still secret. All that Apple is saying is that there's more to this than what's being publicized.
Sorry pscates, looks like the new 4G isn't more of the same
trailmaster308

2004-07-30, 11:17

So if there are "untold secrets" around the corner for the iPod, as in accessories and such, I guess Apple is waiting for a reason. They probably figure it best to put out the iPod and let everyone who is going to buy one anyway get the first rush. Then wait unitl demand goes down to pull in the maybes and the "nah my 3 G's working fine" crowd with some cool new clip on device??

Those dirtry rats!!

I hope the new iMac has some sorta pistol grip holster for the iPod on the side like a cowboy! I always wanted to be a cowboy.

Did you bring me a monkey?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-30, 11:31

Maybe the wait on the feature is so that Apple can steal some of Sony's thunder, when the Walkman gets released next month.
trailmaster308

2004-07-30, 11:39

After reading reviews of the "iPod killer Walkman" a pile of beetle dung will be able to steal its thunder.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-07-30, 11:52

Thats what I was thinking. I dont think anyone has to worry about Sony right now.
Mike Moscow

2004-07-30, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaster308
...I hope the new iMac has some sorta pistol grip holster for the iPod on the side like a cowboy! I always wanted to be a cowboy.
HA! thats funny!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-30, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Moscow
HA! thats funny!
Well, I always wanted to be a Cowboy too.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-07-30, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
See...I'm not so crazy anymore

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one. However unlikely it is, a guy can dream, can't he?
after seeing the open ed up ipod photos i dont think this is built in, however i do believe that it may be poaaible for apple to have a little accessorie that pops on the dock conector that allows you to broadcast wireless signals.

now that i think about it this seems much more likely and fun

Last edited by windowsblowsass : 2004-07-30 at 15:27.
trailmaster308

2004-07-30, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsblowsass
now that i think about it this seems much more likely and fun
April fools joke.