Jeff Reardon - Making the move from pitcher to catcher

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Jeff Reardon - Making the move from pitcher to catcher
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-12-27, 12:36

Ouch. Such a long fall from grace.

Former Major Leaguer Reardon Charged With Robbing Fla. Jewelry Store

He'll soon find new meaning for "high and hard" and "rushing the mound". Damn, "balls on the chin" used to be just pitching high and inside.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-27, 12:41

You kind of have to wonder what drove him to this. I heard this story on the radio on my way home from work this morning, the sports caster said that he made nearly 12 million in his career, and he's been reduced to jewelry store heists? It has to be drugs, gambling, or women...those three seem to be large takers of money for some. I just don't understand how someone could piss away 12 million dollars, plus all the pension he's getting from baseball. Weird.

Come waste your time with me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-27, 12:44

Cooter, coke or keno.

Oops, DMB beat me to it!

It's like all those VH1 "Behind the Music" segments: someone has a few hits, earns a pretty good chunk of cash (enough to allow any one of us to live comfortably the rest of our lives).

But when you buy four mansions (and don't actually LIVE in any of them), a Ferrari, Escalade or Hummer for each day of the week, require a posse/entourage (and are buying THEM trinkets and cars, like Elvis passing out Cadillacs like Lifesavers), you're hooked on God-knows-what and/or you've got shady/crooked advisors and financial experts sucking you dry, guess what?

How many times have we seen this little tale played out, from various two-hit wonders from the 80's or 90's? I imagine sports would be more of the same: brief and shining star, then a sharp fade...and because you were too stupid or arrogant to properly go about it all the right way (and prepare for the inevitable)...

If $12 million fell into my lap right now, I promise you: my grandchildren (and I don't even have kids!) would be set for life.

That this guy couldn't somehow make it with that...says a lot. I'm sorry, but you don't/can't burn through that much money with sensible, smart living. You're doing something wrong or stupid.

Do you know how much $12 million is if you're a reasonable, grounded person and not out buying diamond-encrusted helicopters for your pony?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-12-27 at 12:57.
¡Damned!

2005-12-27, 14:04

Thread Title of the Month.™

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-27, 14:13

Seriously!

Murbot's entire initial post is packed with more "baseball>prison sex" analogies than you can...well, shake a bat (aka a long, stiff piece of wood) at. So to speak.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-27, 14:15

Reardon -> Rear Don
Jubelum

2006-01-01, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-10-29, 13:52

Holy shit, an update to a 6 year old thread!

I was cruising around my control panel checking for an old thread I started, when I saw this one. I googled Reardon to see what the hell ended up happening to him, and see on Wikipedia that he was found not guilty by reason of drug-induced insanity. He was on over a dozen different prescriptions at the time. He did do a couple of months in a psychiatric facility and get some electroshock treatments.

No prison rape for Mr. Reardon after all!