User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Theft Software for Macs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Theft Software for Macs
Tezza

2006-01-18, 19:44

Just read an article on Undercover theft software for the Mac, on the surface this look lke a great product

Has any one had any one used this companys procuct it seems very cheap for what it does
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-01-18, 20:04

Google's my friend too, but a linky perhaps....
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-18, 20:05

Do you mean this article?

Ironic that they'd sell anti-theft tools while 'ripping off' Apple's web style and format.

There are similar apps, like MacPhoneHome. <--click MacPhoneHome in the menu rather than me link the frame... bad webmaster, bad. No donut.

Haven't tried any personally.

If all you want to do is preserve your data from thieves, you can always use FileVault.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2006-01-18, 20:49

This is sort of where i was heading with a thread i made not so long ago. If this sort of technology were implemented in all computers, i firmly believe theft would drop right down.

When there is no incentive to steal something because you get nothing from it, then theft will stop.

I understand that privacy issues is a big reason this may not be put on all computers, but god i wish it would. I think crime can be prevented if little things like this would be in place.

Imagine if this was in every computer, iPod etc. There is no chance a person could steal one and get away with it. This just really gets on my nerves that as a society we don't seem to want to prevent crime any way possible.
lectro

2006-01-24, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav
If this sort of technology were implemented in all computers, i firmly believe theft would drop right down.
If this were in all computers, thieves would catch on.

Nothing says 'don't steal my laptop' like a security cable bolted onto it and wrapped around somthing solid. (If you fear thieves with wire cutters, you can buy security cables that have alarms that sound if the cable is cut.)

I agree with you, though, that deterence is not practiced enough. Every laptop made in the last few years has a cable lock port, but you rarely see them used. Personally, I have an actuator attached to my MacBook's hinge that slams it shut if you incorrectly enter the password too many times, therby crushing your fingers and giving the laptop precious nutrients at the same time. Oh, wait - I thought this was the Rumors and Speculation forum - so sorry.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-24, 19:42

This is a great idea, but ubiquity would be a bad thing... I'll bet you $10 that if this was included on every laptop, the US government would probably want complete control over it, so they could spy on potential "terrorists".

You ask me for a hamburger.
mowenbrown

2006-01-24, 19:53

We had a problem with cheap, Dell desk-tops being stolen from reception areas and training rooms at work so we adopted a Dell enterprise solution for all new desk-tops. After the first employee was hauled away by the cops in a rather public show we haven't had a single problem. But I think the deterent there was the seeing it happen.

For something like this anybody worth his salt will find the work around...

""The end of the world, most experts agree, will come about as a result of an accident. That's where we come in: we're computer professionals, and we cause accidents."
-unknown