Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook Core Duo
Page 18 of 20 First Previous 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20  Next Thread Tools
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-10, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongxiaofeng
The connection between the ipod and the "macbook" has a problem!

how does it connect together?
There's clearly a cable, but your post made me realize something: the ports are all on the back. I really hope Apple doesn't go with that. That's just not useful on a notebook any more. People need quick and dirty access to ports on the sides of notebooks.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-05-10, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Neither of those links work.
Odd. Maybe they don't allow hotlinking?

Crude Oil: http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/BC/W
Aluminum: http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/AL/W

Baron Munchausen

2006-05-11, 03:19

I have been saying Piano Black for some time, so I am totally with Roboman and PScates.

HP has now introduced laptops in (almost) that finish, so to me it would be FATAL to not produce a piano black iBook/MB. I just hope Apple go the full monty with a pure piano black finish, not a swirly etching as the HP.

As to ally finish - er, that is MBP territory IMHO (as are things like backlit k/b). Remember, if you want the all the features of an MBP...go buy an MBP!

gedto

2006-05-12, 03:51

OK. Here's what I've heard. Could mean nothing and be bad insider info, but could end up being true. And it is so amazing that I have to tell you!

You can clearly remember - as I can - Steve Jobs saying recently that "the next Apple products are the best we've ever done" or something like that. Well, I can spill the beans today. The new MacBook won't be hard drive based.

Instead of having an internal hard drive, it sports an 80GB removable iPod video as its main drive, and has a small flash-based unit capable of having a system installed, even though the main installation is supposed to be located at the iPod. The idea is that you can be working on your MacBook, then take your iPod out and carry your entire system with you with one-click. Supposedly, the new iPod video that will be announced along with the MacBook brings back the FireWire support.

That's what I've heard. I would take this with a grain of salt, as these sources have been right at times (especially predicting the Aluminum PowerBooks and the lamp-like iMac), but have been wrong recently.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-05-12, 04:02

I'm sorry, but that is the craziest rumor I have ever heard. Not going to happen, not any time soon.

LaEsperanza
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-05-12, 04:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedto

Instead of having an internal hard drive, it sports an 80GB removable iPod video as its main drive, and has a small flash-based unit capable of having a system installed, even though the main installation is supposed to be located at the iPod. The idea is that you can be working on your MacBook, then take your iPod out and carry your entire system with you with one-click. Supposedly, the new iPod video that will be announced along with the MacBook brings back the FireWire support.
I would love to take my first post to laugh at this

I will admit that it would be amazing, but you have to consider the costs. If it is speculated that the "true video" iPods are going to run at $500, and you can buy a 80gb 2.5HD for half that price, this would be a HUGE cost hike and profit loss for Apple. On top of this, that MacBook has to be a step down from the MacBook Pro. Now how would you feel as a MBP user when you found out that if you had held out for another 2 months that you could've bought (for HALF the price) a far superior machine. The difference of processer and so forth is noticable, but I would dare to say that every person on this forum would prefer to purchase your proposed MacBook over the current MacBook Pro. Talk about a drop in MBP sales...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-12, 04:39

Quote:
Instead of having an internal hard drive, it sports an 80GB removable iPod video as its main drive, and has a small flash-based unit capable of having a system installed, even though the main installation is supposed to be located at the iPod.
Worst idea ever.

And the flash thing has already been brought up and torn down in at least one other thread here.

1. Flash is still prohibitively expensive for mass storage.
2. The iPod's hard drive is not designed for constant access.
3. QED.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

gedto

2006-05-12, 04:45

I agree with most things you say, still wanted to tell you. I read the original message last night at the Macuarium boards and guessed you would like to know. Just two things:

1- 4GB is not mass storage, but is perfectly suitable for installing an OS.
2- The CURRENT iPod hard drive is not designed for constant access. I can clearly imagine a video iPod having a 2,5'' drive.

However, I agree that it would be very expensive to manufacture this. But wouldn't it be cool?

neiltc13

2006-05-12, 04:54

Is there any chance that it could be a convertible tablet?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-12, 05:28

Quote:
2- The CURRENT iPod hard drive is not designed for constant access. I can clearly imagine a video iPod having a 2,5'' drive.
You realize how big that would be, right?

Current iPod v. "2.5 inch hard drive" iPod:

Plus, the battery would likely need to be larger, adding more thickness.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 05:31

Good point Brad.

And grant me one more stupid question, please: how DO YOU DO THAT to an image of an iPod?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-12, 05:34

Very carefully.

(That took about 30 minutes, but I'm really not a pro in Photoshop by any means, and that includes finding proper dimensions of the iPod and 2.5" hard drive.)

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 06:03

Well a Pro by my standards.

Back to this design concept, what if person A wants to use the computer (w/HD) and person B wants to plop their iPod into their iPod Hi-Fi?

This idea, while interesting in and of itself, is DOA.

neiltc13

2006-05-12, 06:53

I just got fed up waiting. Apple have now confirmed my order of the stock MacBook Pro base model.

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 07:00

Don't be toooo disappointed; it's not like you're going home with nothing.

A little or or or would let us know that you're keeping life and its challenges in perspective.

Enjoy.

Last edited by AWR : 2006-05-12 at 07:06.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-12, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
Is there any chance that it could be a convertible tablet?
Please, no. *shudders*

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-12, 11:22

From MOSR:

Quote:
The forthcoming Intel-based iBook (NOT "MacBook,"
They seem really sure on this, right up to the very end (even when "MacBook" appears on Apple's site last week).

Quote:
...although that separate midrange product line will also be introduced soon with the MacBook Thin and later, MacBook Gamer)
Uh huh. Yeah...

Quote:
...didn't premiere earlier this week as much of the grapevine had prematurely speculated....
Do I detect a bit of snotty superiority here? If so, these guys are the LAST ones on the planet who deserve to throw it a round.

Quote:
...but the update to an Intel-built hardware platform is indeed imminent. Pricing will not drop as much as had been hoped for, but performance will make a huge leap forward. More details will follow....
Translation of "more details will follow": As soon as the product is released next Tuesday, we'll follow up later that afternoon with a smug, self-congratulatory report about how we correctly predicted the a) price and b) actual specs, even though we never did anything of the sort. Anything we're caught being wrong about (pricing, iBook vs. MacBook naming, specs, colors, availability, packaging, etc.), we'll attribute to "last minute changes from Apple" with a straight face.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-12, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
From MOSR:
Why do you bother

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-12, 11:28

I told you guys...I check them about every other Friday. The same reason I visit The Onion.com and listen to Phil Hendrie: pure giggles and solid entertainment.

They're shameless, and I sometimes can't help but think they're doing it on purpose and yanking our collective chains.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-12, 12:36

This just in: according to AppleInsider, Apple is holding a press event next Thursday at their new NYC store.

No details on any hardware announcements, so it might just be a sneak-peak for the press and various VIPs?

That is all.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-12, 14:31

Ooh, did I call that or what?

Actually, I said it was on Friday, but that's because the store opens on Friday. Of course, now that I think about it, it would make more sense for the event to be the night before the store opens - so the event wouldn't get in the way of shopping.

And I'm not sure Apple would host a press event just to show off a new store - especially when the MacBook is already expected next week.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

neiltc13

2006-05-12, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
This just in: according to AppleInsider, Apple is holding a press event next Thursday at their new NYC store.

No details on any hardware announcements, so it might just be a sneak-peak for the press and various VIPs?

That is all.
There's more chance of it being unveiled there than being randomly placed on the website, the latter of which a lot of us believed in last week. So all we need now is for ThinkSecret to throw up some lame story and pull it when Jobs starts talking and the "We'll be back soon.." thing doesn't appear on the online store.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-12, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
There's more chance of it being unveiled there than being randomly placed on the website, the latter of which a lot of us believed in last week. So all we need now is for ThinkSecret to throw up some lame story and pull it when Jobs starts talking and the "We'll be back soon.." thing doesn't appear on the online store.
Agreed.

The one reason I wasn't positive we would see a MacBook this week is because I wasn't sure why Apple would introduce it without an event.

I mean, come on, people. It's the MacBook. It might be the most popular Mac ever. It won't just show up in stores without any fanfare.

But now, we have an event. The MacBook is go.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

BizMac

2006-05-12, 15:16

According to the rumours Asustek is producting the new MacBook, they released a computer w7j that could be the MacBook like coming in Black and White... but starts at 2000$.

I must be wrong but these laptops could be very closed in shape of our MacBook, what do you think? (even if by the past Asustek laptops were very different from Macs)

Partial
Stallion

2006-05-13, 17:15

So, do we think these guys are coming this week?

Are asus and asustek the same company? By manufactoring does that mean they're making the mobo's, or what does that exactly mean? I use exclusively Asus mobos in my computers that I build as they are really, really nice, but I didn't realize they were a manufacturing firm as well.

What do we know for sure about these bad boys?

I am hoping the black looks as good as everyone's mockups in the other thread.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-05-13, 18:16

Since Apple still designs the product, it most likely wont look like those, Asustek is only assembling them.

yongxiaofeng

2006-05-13, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
There's clearly a cable, but your post made me realize something: the ports are all on the back. I really hope Apple doesn't go with that. That's just not useful on a notebook any more. People need quick and dirty access to ports on the sides of notebooks.
I think it is made by some 3D software.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-05-14, 07:49

Was att he local Best Buy today, where I saw Apple's competition.

An HP "Centrino Duo", which is a 1.66 COre Duo with Intel 945 Integrated graphics.

Not a bad machine at all.

14" Widescreen
Superdrive
1GB RAM installed, 2GB max
80GB HDD
3 USB2 ports
1 FW400
Ethernet
Modem
expresscard slot
7.5 hour battery life (adverstised)
5.33 lbs.

$1399 Canadian (after instant rebate) You do the conversion to USD, but probably around 1199...

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-05-14, 09:22

I'd say the MacBook is released Tuesday or Wednesday and available in stores for the first time Friday.

kgarchar

2006-05-14, 13:02

i decided to make a mock-up of the macbook, anyone like it?