User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

When should we expect a MacBook Pro design overhaul?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
When should we expect a MacBook Pro design overhaul?
oli84

2006-03-11, 20:56

For quite a while now Apple has been using the same aluminum casing for the PowerBook/MacBook Pro.

Is there any chance that they're going to do a complete overhaul of this design for the next iteration of the MBP? I like the design now, but it's just been out there too long.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-03-11, 21:15

Well, what would you like to see in a redesign? I personally like the current design, it looks so sleek when you put it next to something like that Dell XPS monstrosity.
Ghost2

2006-03-11, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Well, what would you like to see in a redesign? I personally like the current design, it looks so sleek when you put it next to something like that Dell XPS monstrosity.
I would personally like to see a model clad is stainless steel, but that's just me.
oli84

2006-03-11, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I'm thinking something along the lines of keeping the sleek, simple structure of the current design, but with a different opening mechanism and something that can swivel, like the prototype laptops shown at the Spring IDF. Maybe different materials for construction too?

The thing I'm looking for is that when people see this new design, they'll know instantly it's an Intel Mac and not one of the older Powerbooks.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-03-11, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2
I would personally like to see a model clad is stainless steel, but that's just me.
Weight. Aluminum is light yet (reasonably) durable. A stainless steel laptop would stand up to a lot more abuse, perhaps, but would it be worth the tradeoff in excess weight? Probably not, in my opinion.

I'm a fan of the current design, personally...nice and simple, while still making every other laptop I've ever owned (or seen) look like utter crap.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-03-11, 22:37

Because with Apple, things never look like utter crap.
flail

2006-03-11, 22:38

I know it's been thrown around a lot, but I still think black would be so cool. Not glossy black, I'm thinking similar to the current aluminum material, but as dark as they could get it.

A quick mockup

Last edited by flail : 2006-03-11 at 22:52.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-03-11, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876
Because with Apple, things never look like utter crap.
There are exceptions to every rule...just as there is a reason I've conspicuously avoided any discussion about a certain, recently-released product that I'm just pretending doesn't exist.

flail, I do like that mockup...actually, are you sure you can't get a custom PowerBook (or at least an iBook) painted black? (btw, your link doesn't make it all the way down to your post...try this one.)

edit: Actually, you can get a black PowerBook (or just about any other color you could want), from ColorWare. (OK, so it's a bit glossy. I think I could live with it, personally. )

Last edited by SpecMode : 2006-03-11 at 23:03.
Rolo

2006-03-12, 01:04

The 15" aluminum PB came out in late summer, 2003. I got mine in September of that year. It'd be reasonable to assume after 3 years, there could be a new case design for the new Merom chipset by this fall.

BTW, aluminum can be anodized in a variety of colors, as we saw with the iPod mini. Another material used in portables is carbon fiber. Apple used that in the lids of the TiBooks.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-03-12, 01:11

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if, at some point down the road, Apple does colored versions of the MacBook (non-Pro), as they did with the 'clamshell' iBooks of years past. Anodized aluminum would be the way to go there; I'm not sure I would be first in line, but I would be tempted were Apple to make an anodized blue aluminum laptop. (mockup, anyone? )

On the flip side, I can already imagine rolling my eyes the first time I see a pink MacBook, aluminum or not...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-12, 12:50

I agree that we might see a new MBP built around Merom, and I agree that it might be black. Apple has been using black increasingly in their website, packaging, and now the iPod line. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple's new "Pro" gear was black.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-03-12, 13:29

I would love to see a brushed aluminum case, like with those subtle swirls...

If you have ever been to Chipotle you know what I mean...

rasmits
rams it

2006-03-12, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if, at some point down the road, Apple does colored versions of the MacBook (non-Pro), as they did with the 'clamshell' iBooks of years past. Anodized aluminum would be the way to go there; I'm not sure I would be first in line, but I would be tempted were Apple to make an anodized blue aluminum laptop. (mockup, anyone? )
I think pscates had an iBook mockup based on an iPod Mini. It looked really cool, I'd definitely consider it if it had a Core Duo.