Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Moving files from one Mac to another

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Moving files from one Mac to another
LaEsperanza
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-05-29, 20:11

So I have just sold my PowerBook to buy a MacBook when I realize something: my MacBook still is not here yet. I have my address book, old emails, and other such items that I would like to hang onto, but I cannot just use the setup assistant. Is there anything/software that somebody could suggest for a person on a budget that wants to pretty much copy his info onto a temporary hard drive until the new notebook arrives?
Thanks so much
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-05-29, 20:15

I don't know about a hard drive, but CD-Rs are cheap and plentiful. Your emails and address book should be located in the Library folder inside your home folder... just drag them over and burn.

If you don't want to waste CDs (and your stuff is under 1 GB), box.net is another great (and free) solution.

You ask me for a hamburger.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-05-29, 20:23

An alternative would be to sign up for a free .mac trial. That'll sort out the address book thing. The emails, if they're on an IMAP server, will be fine. If not, just copy the Library folder (as abb suggested) and you'll be set.
LaEsperanza
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-05-29, 21:24

Thank you so much. I have found the mail stuff but haven't found my addresses. There is "address book plug-ins" but that is all i can find
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2006-05-29, 21:59

Not sure if it's the files in ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book that you want but probably safer to backup the database via the command in the Address Book File menu, then save that file.

Lots of storage space on Google's servers too if you've got a gmail account.
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2006-05-29, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester
Lots of storage space on Google's servers too if you've got a gmail account.
Ah, but you're limited to 10 megs a file.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-29, 22:09

Maybe I'm missing something, but can't you just select "Back Up Address Book..." from the file menu when Address Book is open, save the resulting file to ANY media you choose (CD/DVD/HDD/web), then load it onto the new MB when it comes, and double click the file?
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2006-05-29, 23:06

also, remember to wipe your hard drive several times just in case...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-05-30, 04:20

You can also select all the address book "cards" in the app and drag them to your desktop. Backup that file and import it on the new computer and it'll be just fine.