User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Matching a singular noun with a plural verb.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Matching a singular noun with a plural verb.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-05-30, 20:25

Since nobody else has commented on this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
I have a newsflash for everyone - Apple aren't just building their computers to be some sort of Intel showpiece.
Apple is a /single/ company. Meaning, that that sentence should have been stated:

Quote:
I have a newsflash for everyone - Apple isn't just building their computers to be some sort of Intel showpiece.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 20:33

In the UK, corporations are treated in language as plural entities, due to the entire concept of needing more than one person to be *incorporated* into one entity.

Ford are going to be producing new cars...

Apple aren't just building their computers...

Burger King truly have the worst burgers around...

It's a cute little quirk they have.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-05-30, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
In the UK, corporations are treated in language as plural entities, due to the entire concept of needing more than one person to be *incorporated* into one entity.
I wasn't aware of that... And I disagree with it It's still a single entity, whether it's composed of multiple people or not. By that logic, I should be refered to as a plural, because I've got multiple organs.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
I wasn't aware of that... And I disagree with it It's still a single entity, whether it's composed of multiple people or not. By that logic, I should be refered to as a plural, because I've got multiple organs.
Prove it. Lay em out on the table. I bet you can't put more than *one* on the table.

Mods? Can we get a ruling here? Is UK English allowable on the boards, or is it 'Merican 'Nglish only?
rollercoaster375

2006-05-30, 20:47

Quote:
Prove it. Lay em out on the table. I bet you can't put more than *one* on the table.
I can have my Doctor send you some X-Rays, if you like.

Quote:
Mods? Can we get a ruling here? Is UK English allowable on the boards, or is it 'Merican 'Nglish only?
I never said it shouldn't be allowed; just that it was wrong .
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-30, 20:53

Quote:
I never said it shouldn't be allowed; just that it was wrong .
Ding! Best place.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-31, 03:28

Quote:
In the UK, corporations are treated in language as plural entities
IIRC, that's not specific to UK English (though primarily used there). In any case, just like almost all the other specifics of UK English, it is obviously an asinine concept.

*flees*
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-05-31, 05:20

Quote:
Yup, I are multiple organs.

Everything should be referred to as plural. One day, even a proton will be seen as a number of hydrogen ion.

Last edited by Doxxic : 2006-05-31 at 05:38.
Anthem

2006-05-31, 10:49

Quote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're wrong. The analogy doesn't work: a corporation is a collective noun, while you are not.

Think of the pronouns. You'd be correct to say "It [Apple] is having a good quarter." But you'd also be right to say "They [Apple] are having a good quarter." And the second will sound more natural to most English-speakers, no matter which side of the pond they're from.

Signed,

Graham Mernatsi.
neiltc13

2006-05-31, 13:40

I say "Apple are..." because I see Apple as a group of people, not some inanimate machine that churns out computers.

I see any company like this, unless it's a one man business.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-05-31, 14:19

P.S
UK English is the way forward.
Anthem

2006-05-31, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
But you had already proven that nobody in this thread agrees with you neiltc13, no need to go over all that again.
What am I, chopped liver?
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-06-01, 04:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
I say "Apple are..." because I see Apple as a group of people, not some inanimate machine that churns out computers.

I see any company like this, unless it's a one man business.
I see Apple as a concept. A religious thing. An -ism.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-01, 08:13

Thread split.

Look at what you started, coaster!
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-06-01, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Thread split.

Look at what you started, coaster!
Where the other part at, Brad? [Ebonics]
Hassan i Sabbah

2006-06-01, 08:26

While we're at it, what's with 'I could care less'?

You could care less? What, you mean that you care?

Me, I couldn't care less. I could not care less, that is, ah jest don't give a fuuuuck.

gibberish
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-01, 09:12

Instead of quibbling about how it goes, learn how to appeal to authorities.

Authority is powerful, I tell you.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-01, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah
While we're at it, what's with 'I could care less'?
It's because the "n't" in "couldn't" often gets ghosted, and isn't clearly pronounced. Then, other people begin to think that there was no "n't" in there to begin with. Because they've learned to spell by only paying attention to phonemes, they haven't learned what's really grammatically correct.

It's the same reason that contractions like "he'd" (short for "he would") get bastardized, resulting in infamous phrases like "he be".

And then there's "should of" and "could of"... ugh...
EmC

2006-06-01, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Instead of quibbling about how it goes, learn how to appeal to authorities.

Authority is powerful, I tell you.

Respect my authoritai!

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-06-01, 10:22

What I find funny about all this.

In Canada, (as well as many other places in the world) you can incorporate a company with only one person (even on the Federal level). Thus making the entity of the company possibly singular no matter where your English ties are.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-01, 10:45

Well, considering that corporation is a legal person, it'd be singular anyway...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-01, 11:20

ME likes Burger King hamburgers!!
(just don't eat them because they'll kill I from all that cholesterol, don't you know, old chap)

Me am having a hard time with this English stuff.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2006-06-01, 12:14

Here Here!

I fucking hate it when people do that.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-01, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Here Here!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-01, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Well, considering that corporation is a legal person, it'd be singular anyway...
"The Seattle team is going to win the game."

"The Seattle Mariners are going to win the game.

While the name may be 'plural', it is just a single team, so why the difference?

Because most people say: "The Stanford Cardinal are going to win the game." (They're not the Cardinals, as in birds, they are the Cardinal, as in the color.)

Singular term, plural form.
RichieB

2006-06-01, 13:13

While we are talking usage differences, here are a few that drive me daffy:

I detest the politically correct way to say "they" instead of him/her, even when referring to one person.

The second one is the usage of "you" over "one".

The third is the use of "What" over Which.

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-01, 15:02

Quote:

Ford are going to be producing new cars...

Apple aren't just building their computers...

Burger King truly have the worst burgers around...

It's a cute little quirk they have.
Yes, it IS a cute little quirk.

But it does tend to grate on my nerves a bit.

"The team ARE here."

ACK!

Oh please! It just sounds SO wrong.

NO one is more an Anglophile than I; but everyone knows that we Americans have tidied up our mother tongue a bit ( ), and tossed out the most unnecessary quirks, like:

~ double 'L' : 'travelling', for the simpler, less cluttered 'traveling'

~ 'favourite colour' - while charming and quaint, the 'u' is really quite unnecessary

~ 'whilst' - Aw heck. I think that word is SO cool. It makes me think of horse-drawn carriages and cobblestone streets. (And we won't even get 'into' the whole 'spanner, bonnet, lift, loo' controversy. )

But the collective noun thing is a persistent problem. I contend that this (the 'American' way) makes more sense:

The team HAS arrived. (Collective *singular* subject with singular verb!)

The teams HAVE arrived. (Collective plural subject with plural verb.)

To say it the British way ("The team have arrived.") just sounds *wrong*.

(To clarify: With 'great' fondness, I enjoy kidding our British friends. We Americans actually *love* the way you speak, as you probably know. Why do you think that cool little Geico gecko speaks with an English accent? )
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-01, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
IIRC, that's not specific to UK English (though primarily used there). In any case, just like almost all the other specifics of UK English, it is obviously an asinine concept.

*flees*
Yay!

*pats chucker on back*
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-01, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
We Americans actually *love* the way you speak, as you probably know.
That's because it sounds so funny and silly
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-06-01, 15:17

I'm British but I went to an American school for a few years, so I'm particularly torn by this. It rubs against my logical nature to refer to a company as "they", but I do it automatically most of the time (as I did in a post a few minutes ago regarding the BBC, before reading this thread: I checked now to be sure!). Other times I happen to use the singular pronoun, probably because of my American education. It's messy and annoying, but there's not much we can do about it. The British/Australians/etc. among us have to tolerate American bastardisations of the language, so I reckon you lot should do us a favour and quit complaining about our peculiarities!