User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iTunes: what's difference between "Import" and "Add to Library..." ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes: what's difference between "Import" and "Add to Library..." ?
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-01, 14:03

As asked in title, what's the difference between the "Import" and the "Add to Library..." commands in iTunes? Thanks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-01, 14:07

As far as I recall, "Import" merges a different iTunes library into your current one, whereas "Add to Library…" adds particular songs.
TheMats84

2006-07-02, 01:10

You can "Import" your CDs and "Add to Library" any MP3s and other compatable music files you may have downloaded or acquired from other sources.

That may be an oversimplification, but I hope it helps.
apple007
BANNED

2006-07-03, 11:38

OK. It seems like both commands have the same effect. (I was simply trying to add a song I downloaded (legally) to iTunes from my desktop.)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-07-03, 11:48

Just for the record, you do realise that you can simply drag a song file onto the Library (as located in the sidebar in iTunes) and it will copy it to an appropriate location in your iTunes Music folder, don't you?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
apple007
BANNED

2006-07-03, 11:54

Ha ha ... Yes, I figured that out. Thanks.
toyotaco01

2006-07-03, 15:41

So in terms of backing up the library, what is the best way to do this? "Export" to a directory on a different hard drive? Thanks for answering a newbie question :-)
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-07-03, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaco01
So in terms of backing up the library, what is the best way to do this? "Export" to a directory on a different hard drive? Thanks for answering a newbie question :-)
Easier than that -- just copy the iTunes folder itself. Everything is in there, including all the music files and the library database.

Of course, that's if you have iTunes set to automatically keep the iTunes folder organized and copy songs to that folder when adding to its library (both checkbox settings in the Advanced tab of iTunes Preferences). I've had mine set that way, and I don't see any reason to do otherwise.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-07-03, 23:58

Or, if you have all your music on an iPod, you just need to export the library file. After you've imported all your iPod's music, you should be able to just import the library file, and you'll have all your stuff.
toyotaco01

2006-07-04, 10:30

Thanks for the reply BarracksSi, but doesn't the XML file have the full pathname to the files? I was thinking of just coping the entire iTunes directory (with the "iTunes Music" directory, "iTunes Library" file, and the "iTunes Music Library" XML file), but wasn't sure what would happen when iTunes reads in the XML file again and can't find the files in location specified in the XML file.

Thanks for the help
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-07-04, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaco01
Thanks for the reply BarracksSi, but doesn't the XML file have the full pathname to the files?
I have no idea how it does it, but it works. When I went from one iBook to its replacement, I simply copied the entire iTunes folder as-is from the old iBook onto an external HD (I had a few days without either iBook during the transition), copied it again into my new Music folder on the new iBook, and when I fired up iTunes, everything was there just as I left it. iTunes didn't have to spend time importing anything. I think even the play counts were intact.

To be fair, it could have been easy because I gave the exact same name to my new Home folder as I had on the old computer, so the pathnames wouldn't have been changed anyway. But still, that's how it worked for me.
VonCheech

2006-07-12, 16:43

i reformatted my computer and decided that since i had acquired multiple music folders over the years, i should rebuild my itunes library database,. with a newly added "0 songs" itunes app., i used the "add to library" function to compile my multiple music folders into one new music folder and created a new itunes music database. still with me? now when i try to use the "get cd track names" option on music, in need of album info, i get a notice that says something like," CDDB information is not available for tracks not imported by itunes. please import into itunes and try again.." now, if i had used the "import" function instead, would i still have this problem?