AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Your WWDC '06 predictions, please...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Your WWDC '06 predictions, please...
Page 4 of 22 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-23, 14:47

You don't need to rely on another server if you can use PHP. Just copy this tiny piece of code into your web page.

[php]<?php

$seconds = strtotime("2006-08-07 09:00:00 PST");
if ($seconds > strtotime("2006-08-11 12:30:00 PST")) {
echo "WWDC '06 is over.";
} else {
$seconds -= time();
if ($seconds > 0) {
$days = floor($seconds/86400);
$seconds %= 86400;
$hours = floor($seconds/3600);
$seconds %= 3600;
$minutes = floor($seconds/60);
$seconds %= 60;

echo "WWDC '06 begins in $days days, $hours hours, $minutes minutes, and $seconds seconds!";
} else {
echo "WWDC '06 is happening now.";
}
}

?>[/php]

washington mac user
can't read

2006-07-23, 15:09

Thanks Brad. While wondering around this site, I did not realize there was a point system. what does that represent? when you click User CP? I haven't seen it till now because I never clicked it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-23, 15:37

We're getting a bit off topic now. Please use the Feedback forum to discuss features of the forum software.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-23, 15:39

Here is Roboman's super-official prediction of awesomeness:

Wireless Mighty Mouse.

Please.

datapusher

2006-07-23, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Here is Roboman's super-official prediction of awesomeness:

Wireless Mighty Mouse.

Please.
that way i wont have to worry about my USB port when i throw it in the garbage.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-23, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by datapusher

When you throw the Mighty Mouse in the garbage? Or when you throw the USB port in the garbage?

Why would you throw a Mighty Mouse/USB port away?

Oh, and I was inspired by Brad to put my Super-Official Prediction of Awesomeness in haiku:

Robo's prediction:
Wireless Mighty Mice for all.
Pretty Pretty Please.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

datapusher

2006-07-23, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman

When you throw the Mighty Mouse in the garbage? Or when you throw the USB port in the garbage?

Why would you throw a Mighty Mouse/USB port away?
the mighty mouse being a wired mouse using USB to connect, if i were to just up and throw it, it would fall short of the wastebasket because it's currently connected to the computer, but with a wireless mighty mouse, i can dispose of it with ease. *rimshot*!

i don't really care for the mighty mouse much.

Partial
Stallion

2006-07-23, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by datapusher

my sentiments exactly

LaEsperanza
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-07-23, 20:50

Honestly guys, predictions are fun, but I am thinking as follows:

1) Stupid interview or update from Intel or Microsoft or ATi or something
2) Mac Pro
3) Leopard Preview with no release date
4) A self pat on the back for being completely intel with applause from developers but only because it is expected
5) Release of a program that is "new and improved" but cannot say what because I am no developer
6) One more thing: new MBP (maybe new enclosure style, like a darker aluminum with new port locations but other than that completely the same) What would be sweet is if the MBP had the optical drive on the side like the MB because I don't know how many times I have hit eject instead of f12 and gotten a CD in the stomach

Then at the Apple Expo they will announce the upgrade of iMac (maybe new design) and MacBook. The MacBook will be exempt from the education iPod deal though just as the nano was when it came out for the first time. I believe this because the edu discount lasts until September 16, perfect time to announce it would be the day before the sale ends. While it goes against the usual Tuesday release, so does the keynote of WWDC

initialsBB

2006-07-24, 03:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaEsperanza

2) Mac Pro
4) A self pat on the back for being completely intel with applause from developers but only because it is expected
5) Release of a program that is "new and improved" but cannot say what because I am no developer
6) One more thing: new MBP (maybe new enclosure style, like a darker aluminum with new port locations but other than that completely the same) What would be sweet is if the MBP had the optical drive on the side like the MB because I don't know how many times I have hit eject instead of f12 and gotten a CD in the stomach

Then at the Apple Expo they will announce the upgrade of iMac (maybe new design) and MacBook. The MacBook will be exempt from the education iPod deal though just as the nano was when it came out for the first time. I believe this because the edu discount lasts until September 16, perfect time to announce it would be the day before the sale ends. While it goes against the usual Tuesday release, so does the keynote of WWDC
that's about the sanest thing i heard around here !

Daffy_Duck

2006-07-24, 10:49

Quote:

Isn't it too soon for a new MBP? I'd like to see some information about a new gen iPod but I know they rarely pre-announce hardware until it's ready and I doubt it's ready yet.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-24, 11:14

Quote:

2) Mac Pro

That is a good prediction in my opinion. Except I would doubt that ATI comes after AMD's purchase of ATI. I would also expect the wireless mighty mouse so that the Mac Pro can have a mouse with a scroll wheel and not have to be wired!

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-07-27, 04:38

Come on people, lets get this party started. Mac Pro and MacMini Media Centre all round lolzzz!!1!

neiltc13

2006-07-27, 05:03

Details on Merom have just been revealed by Intel Japan.

1.66, 1.83, 2.00, 2.16 and 2.33GHz clock speeds available but will NOT be shipping until LATE AUGUST. This pretty much rules out a MBP refresh at WWDC.

Source: The Register

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-07-27, 05:09

Why not? They've done the announce now/ship later thing before, on a number of occasions.

neiltc13

2006-07-27, 05:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Why not? They've done the announce now/ship later thing before, on a number of occasions.
If they announced it at WWDC for shipping in late August, they'd lose almost an entire month of sales from people who just can't wait. It would put a big hole in the lineup.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-27, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
If they announced it at WWDC for shipping in late August, they'd lose almost an entire month of sales from people who just can't wait. It would put a big hole in the lineup.
Again, Apple's done it before with an equally big seller: the iMac G4. On 01 July 2004, Apple stopped taking orders for the iMac G4 as it announced that a new product would replace it in September (the iMac G5 was actually announced 31 August). That's two months of "lost sales".

From 2004:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Baron Munchausen

2006-07-27, 08:00

For "lost sales" I see that as "stored up sales" and "less gripes and returns". A smart move by Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
That was pretty good. I think Baron's using "ally" for "aluminum", though.
Yes, al u min i um. One colour at a time.

I must say I am disappointed at the "dashboard" black of the MacBooks.

The Samsung "chocolat" phone, with hidden indicators that light up red on a hi-gloss black casing with a chrome bezel on the navigator, is a look I like. Reminds me of the first Miu camera, which was also a design classic and very functional indeed.

The accent for me is on gloss, not matt. We have gloss white. We need gloss black. Shiny silver is not as practical as a satin brass finish. For a deskside I do not think this is so impractical and if done right would fit right in to a classic study.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-27, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen
al u min i um
It appears to me that you have come to the incorrect conclusion that "aluminum" is an incorrect spelling.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-27, 09:20

While I don't deny that Apple has announced a product, not to ship it until later (hell, the MacBook Pro was announced in January and didn't ship until February), I think the iMac G5 delay was a special case. I really do think that they originally intended to unveil it at WWDC 2004, but technical problems delayed it until PAE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen
The Samsung "chocolat" phone, with hidden indicators that light up red on a hi-gloss black casing with a chrome bezel on the navigator, is a look I like. Reminds me of the first Miu camera, which was also a design classic and very functional indeed.
The Chocolate phone is made by LG.

I like it too...except for the stupid American version on Verizon. Ugh.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Baron Munchausen

2006-07-27, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
It appears to me that you have come to the incorrect conclusion that "aluminum" is an incorrect spelling.
Nah, just that I have managed to set Tiger to the correct dictionary

Oh, and yes LG, my bad.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-27, 10:16

Well, you'd be mistaken if you think "aluminum" is American English-specific.
Quote:
In 1808, Humphry Davy originally proposed the name alumium while trying to isolate the new metal electrolytically from the mineral alumina. In 1812, he changed the name to aluminum to match its Latin root. The same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium.
That's all I'm sayin'.

Baron Munchausen

2006-07-27, 10:36

Well the OED says "um" is a US spelling and does not have it as a valid UK spelling. The OED is the authority.

My guess is it is because it scans better with the UK vowels, as al-u-min-um is a bit clumsy. The US al-oo-min-um longer vowel treatment works better with the "um".

As for Brass...

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-28, 07:29

2 questions as we get closer to WWDC:

What speeds are likely for the release of the of the Mac Pro, 2.33 then 2.67 then 3.0?

Is a price cut likely compared to the current g5 Power Macs? I ask this because someone in a thread about the potential Dual Quad Cores made a good point about how intel will be competitive on processor prices to compete with amd and how they sell to many more companies then just apple so they can afford to be more competitive.
Thanks!

initialsBB

2006-07-28, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod
2 questions as we get closer to WWDC:

What speeds are likely for the release of the of the Mac Pro, 2.33 then 2.67 then 3.0?

Is a price cut likely compared to the current g5 Power Macs?
check this ars technica piece.

the article talks about a possible candidate for the base design of the macpros, an intel server board, which is apparently "very flexible".

Last edited by initialsBB : 2006-07-28 at 10:36.

JayReding

2006-07-28, 10:34

My prediction for WWDC:

Mac Pro
Leopard Preview (although that one is a given)

I don't think WWDC will be as big as people say it will be, at least not in terms of hardware.

However, I'd bet that Apple Expo Paris will announce:

Core 2 Duos in iMac, MacBook Pro, and MacBook
iTunes Movie Store

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-07-28, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayReding
iTunes Movie Store
I don't think Apple can wait that long for the iMac (unless they are just putting Merom in it). With Conroe avaliable now, if that's going into the iMac waiting a month to release it would be a bad move on their part.

mjteix

2006-07-28, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayReding
My prediction for WWDC:

Mac Pro
Leopard Preview (although that one is a given)

I don't think WWDC will be as big as people say it will be, at least not in terms of hardware.

iTunes Movie Store
I'm not so sure anything regarding iTunes/iPods will be announced in France for the time being...

I don't think the MacBooks will get Merom so soon. They are really well priced/configured right now...

If iMacs get Merom (Core 2 Duo mobile), Apple may announce them in Paris along with the new MacBook Pros.
If iMacs get Conroe (Core 2 Duo desktop), Apple may announce them at the WWDC (even if they will be available later).
If iMacs get something else...

Here is the list of Macs that need attention (timely order):
Mac Pro (needs at least one quad-core and one 3.0GHz model)
iMac (needs more performance: Merom or Conroe or my fav...)
Mac mini (needs to be dual-core all the way)
MacBook Pro (needs more performance/distinction with the MacBook)
XServe (needs to go Intel, new apps?)
MacBook (I believe it will get Merom when the MBP gets the Santa Rosa 800MHz FSB Apr. '07)

dark54555

2006-07-28, 12:33

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1917

Maybe not for Merom at WWDC.

That makes me a saaaaaaaaad panda.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-07-28, 12:45

They could announce it, not release it.

I dont think the macpro will be available right after the keynote. I think it will take at least a week or 2. And for merom, they can't wait the next "Apple event". They need to use it as soon as it is available(end of august).