User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Macbook upgrade
Roland

2007-01-16, 04:05

I'll need to get a Macbook this year (sadly can't afford a Macbook Pro), but I have the usual grips with the Macbook so I'd be willing to hold out until WWDC.

So the question is of course if Apples gonna upgrade the Macbook anytime soon hardware or/and style wise.

With Santa Rosa being released in April, do you think that the Macbook will move to Santa Rosa that quickly or will we first see Santa Rosa on the Mac Book Pro?

Also really hope that the Macbook looses it's babyfat and finally gets a normal screen option.

any speculations?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-16, 04:16

There's baby fat on the MacBook? Where? I'm not seeing it.

Yes, the bezel around the display is a bit large, but a 14" screen would be cutting it really close (especially where the iSight is concerned) and would probably have the same resolution, anyways. In all other aspects, the MacBook is impeccably trim for a consumer notebook. It's thinner than the 15" PB was.

By "normal screen" I can only assume you mean "matte." Don't bet on that happening any time soon ever.

And, as always: If you can wait, do. If you can't, buy now. It's the rule of the universe.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-01-16, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
So the question is of course if Apples gonna upgrade the Macbook anytime soon hardware or/and style wise.
I see the hardware updates coming as regularly as they have been, if not more regularly, but I can't see any big changes in form factor. It's already a step up from the iBook. The MacBook Pro and Mac Pro I could see having updates in the next year or two, but not the MacBook. It's too new, too popular and too distinctive. IMHO they have nailed it. I'd idly speculate that they will only update if Ive comes up with something that is an enormous improvement - if not, they've not lost anything, the Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and iMac are hardly ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
With Santa Rosa being released in April, do you think that the Macbook will move to Santa Rosa that quickly or will we first see Santa Rosa on the Mac Book Pro?
The MacBook Pro has been updated with greater frequency than the MacBook, and since Santa Rosa is the Pro element of the Centrino range, I'd anticipate it going to the MacBook Pro first if it goes in the portable range at all.
SilentSpectre

2007-01-28, 08:35

After dealing with a mac mini w/core duo for about 6-7 months now, I'm really eager to get a macbook when they upgrade to the next set of intel integrated graphics. So far the mac mini plays WoW just fine (after a memory upgrade to 1gb - pondering 2gb now) - but I think if I hold out another few months I'll be getting more bang for my buck (even if just a little).
Mark_TS

2007-02-01, 21:17

im waiting for a new release of Macbook in May-I will get one.
brutox

2007-02-06, 16:57

I am about to buy a macbook but I am also puzzled if I should wait until may or not. I could wait if I needed to, of course my hand would itch 24x7 till may.

What do you guys think?
THEONENEO

2007-02-11, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_TS View Post
im waiting for a new release of Macbook in May-I will get one.
That wouldn't be that clever 'cause of WWDC in June!
THEONENEO
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-03-22, 10:19

I kind of lost track of the most current thinking, but when would I expect to see the next MacBook Pro update (is that with the Santa Rosa chip mentioned above)?

I am out of warrantly (and our of patience) with how slow my 17" G4 Powerbook is running and need more horsepower, ideally in a smaller size.

(I apologize if this was somewhere else but a quick search did not turn up anything.)

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2007-03-22, 17:52

Wikipedia says Santa Rosa will be released May 9th.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-03-22, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEONENEO View Post
That wouldn't be that clever 'cause of WWDC in June!
THEONENEO
WWDC is a developer show, and a MacBook is not a developer machine. The only reason they'd wait until WWDC is if they were going to release MacBook Pros there as well and they wanted to do them together.

May is a reasonable time to upgrade MacBooks, though, as that is traditionally the start of the buying season for schools (one of Apple's target markets for the MacBook).

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
hobbit.2

2007-03-22, 18:32

Perhaps THEONENEO hints at something not related to the MacBook as such. It might have to do with Leopard or another new feature (multitouch?) that will come with Leopard.
My guess is still that Leopard will be introduced at WWDC and as such I'd wait for it, even if MacBooks ship earlier, because if I get the MacBook after WWDC I'd get Leopard with it.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-03-22, 19:06

I've got it. The dual screen ibook with a multitouch keyboard! Comes with free with a nintendo ipod.
Anthem

2007-03-22, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
By "normal screen" I can only assume you mean "matte." Don't bet on that happening any time soon ever.
LED backlight?

Regardless, I agree that the bezel's a bit large. A 14" screen makes sense, even if it means the case gets an eighth of an inch longer.
cozmo

Send a message via AIM to cozmo  
2007-03-29, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
WWDC is a developer show, and a MacBook is not a developer machine. The only reason they'd wait until WWDC is if they were going to release MacBook Pros there as well and they wanted to do them together.

May is a reasonable time to upgrade MacBooks, though, as that is traditionally the start of the buying season for schools (one of Apple's target markets for the MacBook).
I was at the Apple Store last weekend and an employee was buying a MacBook Pro and the Airport Extreme, and when he was getting rang up, the cashier asked him why he wasn't going to wait until April 15? I am not sure what that means, but he answered that he will not be able to get the floor model discount then. Does this mean new MacBook Pros, and if so what will make it new? Besides a faster processor?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-29, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
WWDC is a developer show, and a MacBook is not a developer machine.
The iSight was intro'd at WWDC. Go figure.
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2007-03-29, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The iSight was intro'd at WWDC. Go figure.
Indeed, but so was the reason for it existing (iChat AV in Panther preview and beta for Jaguar.) That was an exception, of course.
Reid

2007-04-03, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
I was at the Apple Store last weekend and an employee was buying a MacBook Pro and the Airport Extreme, and when he was getting rang up, the cashier asked him why he wasn't going to wait until April 15? I am not sure what that means, but he answered that he will not be able to get the floor model discount then. Does this mean new MacBook Pros, and if so what will make it new? Besides a faster processor?
Probably just a comment about tax refunds or something.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Could also be related to NAB. The conference starts April 14. I'm sure you're probably right, but it's something interesting to think about. (I still don't think we'll see a MacBook there, but what if Leopard dropped then? I have my doubts, but anything is possible at this point.)

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
cozmo

Send a message via AIM to cozmo  
2007-04-04, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
What would that have to do with the discounts that he was getting? Who actually gets their refund on the 15th? I am thinking NAB, but thats just me.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2007-04-05, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
What would that have to do with the discounts that he was getting? Who actually gets their refund on the 15th? I am thinking NAB, but thats just me.
Cozmo's mistaken.

On the last weekend of each month, Apple Stores put out whatever discounted, used, returned or refurbished equipment they have for sale. For example, a guy walks in and buys a 17" PowerBook and takes it home. The next day, he may come back with "buyer's remorse" (because the wife threatened to kill him.) That stuff is generally held for resale on the last weekend of the month.

The Apple Store personnel are not privy to inside info on release dates but they read rumour sites as much as anyone else. Cozmo likely overheard the cashier speculating about the NAB event and the other employee saying he wanted to get the demo model because it was cheaper last weekend.