User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Super Bowl Ad?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
4pp113

2007-02-03, 11:01

What do you think will be shown in the Apple Super Bowl ad tomorrow?

Beatles Music Available on iTunes
Beatles Music Available on iTunes and a special edition Beatles iPod
New Widescreen iPod with touch controls
Leopard 10.5
New MacBook Pro

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-02-03, 11:04

How did this rumor get started, that Apple has an ad?

I haven't seen them on a single listing of the ads for tomorrow's game. See? http://www.tvweek.com/docs/docs/AdsChart.pdf

nightjar

2007-02-03, 11:10

"Beatles Music Available on iTunes and a special edition Beatles iPod"

This would make the most sense for a mass audience and to spark Valentine's Day buying.

And the song used will be "All You Need Is Love". This ties in with the latest Beatles/George Martin release, the Las Vegas Show, and Valentine's Day itself.

A perfect planetary alignment of Marketing...

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-02-03, 11:13

Seriously, before anyone else gets their hopes up, and then dashed... can *anyone* provide proof that Apple bought an ad? I mean, otherwise this is just a thread for futility...

rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2007-02-03, 11:28

AI claims that they have a spot: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2408

Personally, it sounds very reasonable. It's about time for a Beatles announcement, and considering the amount of Beatles showing-off that was going on at MacWorld, it seems like the announcement should be near at hand.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-03, 12:03

I notice Disney has a spot...

Probably reaching here, but whatever.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-02-03, 12:23

Okay, so it seems to have stemmed from a Toronto Sun article (not AP, Reuters, or any other big-distribution list), and doesn't appear on any list of advertisers who bought spots?

Hmm.

I thought of the Disney connection as well, but most of the content of these ads is already known as well, including the ones that Disney paid for, so I don't think there's anything special there.

I'm going to be shocked if an Apple ad appears.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-03, 12:26

Someone - a davebarnes - over at AppleInsider posted this in the discussion about the link above from rollercoaster375:

Quote:
"Hello, I'm a Mac,"
"And I'm a PC,"
"And I'm a Beatle"......
Mac: I listen to music using iTunes and my iPod.
PC: And, I listen to music using iTunes and my iPod. I am not all about just "business", you know.
Beatle (played by Paul himself): And, now the entire catalog of Beatles songs is available exclusively at the iTunes Store.
Enter from stage left, Ringo Starr: What do you think of my new iPod in Submarine Yellow?
All exit to Yellow Submarine.
I have to admit, that's pretty damn good. It would get a rise out of me, and it's certainly "Super Bowl"-worthy, IMO. Just the kind of big, splashy and over-the-top thing that would be perfect to see tomorrow. You take an already-established idea (the Mac and PC guy commercials, with them introducing themselves, etc.) and then Paul McCartney walking in between them and making his little pitch/announcement about the Beatles being on iTunes first (and exclusively).

Although I don't buy (or much like) the "Yellow Submarine" iPod thing, I do think the final kicker would indeed be for Ringo to show up at the very end (drumsticks in hand maybe?) and with some clever/funny tagline to tie it all together.

Paul and Ringo have a sense of humor, you know, and I could imagine them doing it. And it would mesh in to this ad (and blow the doors off what everyone would expect as the "same old commercial from Apple".

The Mac and PC guy could just have these stunned looks on their faces (as would much of the viewing public, me included), with the PC guy saying something like "I just wet my hard drive" or some other silly thing to show what a "big deal" this is supposed to be (and for half of the Beatles to appear together in a commercial like this).

Right now, the above scenario is about the only thing I'll settle for, and that would impress me...now that I've got it in my head and can so wonderfully imagine it all.

But I've not heard much about a commercial, other than some wishful rumors, so I'm truly not expecting one. We would've heard something by now, something a bit more concrete and leaked? It's so tough to keep a secret these days, and someone on the crew (or a friend of someone on the commercial crew) would've spoiled this by now, surely.

Too bad, because that's a pretty bitchin' idea and I think it would go over really well. Take the familiar ("I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ad) and ramp it up 3-4 notches on the one day EVERYONE is watching for (and expecting) this kind of razzle-dazzle.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-03, 13:04

How do we know that these lists are complete? It's not like they're released by the network broadcasting the game. They're just based on gathered data. It's entirely possible that nobody's talking about the ad because Apple wants it under wraps.

I'll be surprised if we see one, it'll either be about the Beatles or Leopard. I would love to see a Leopard ad, actually. Of course, it would have to show off the new interface (if there is one), just to steal a little thunder from Vista.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-02-03, 13:16

Yeah, but 'gathered data' includes:

1) N number of slots
2) n number of slots purchased by M companies
3) If n = N, the list is complete

In the past, it's been simple to find out who has bought slots, and while Apple has never discussed the *content*, the fact that they purchased time has always been known well ahead of airtime.

I just don't see how they could keep it under wraps. Considering that the sole source in this is actually a Beatles blogger (Terry Ott - google him) and that the info about Apple and the Super Bowl ad doesn't even appear on *his own* website, I think it's bogus.

nightjar

2007-02-03, 15:32

The perfect color for a Beatle's iPod is Green Apple, like the Apple Records Logo.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-03, 15:55

I don't think Leopard would be the focus of an ad. Honestly, if they haven't done it by now (particularly with Panther and Tiger), then it won't be Leopard. Besides, that's a bit dry and "eh?" for something like a commercial...a Super Bowl commercial too, no less.

I'm guessing the people watching, at types and from all backgrounds, aren't going to pay attention or give two damns to a commercial hawking an operating system. Not tomorrow, anyway.

People want The Funny, weird/shocking or sentimental/feel-good. Those three. That's it.

They could do a Beatle thing. They could do a new "I'm a Mac..." spot. They could even do a general lifestyle spot (but I'm not holding my breath).

But it wouldn't surprise me if they pissed away this golden opportunity and used it to trot out yet another lame "dancing silhouette" spot and completely underwhelm everyone. No matter what song/band, splashy background graphics or freaky urban/hipster spaz type of dancing you use, it's old hat and played out and everyone's seen them plenty by now.

The more I think about it, that seems the most likely scenario of all.

But I don't think they're doing one. I really don't.

We'd know about it by now.

MagSafe

2007-02-03, 18:38

I don't want it to be this, but...

"AppleTV, Now Shipping"

It would make sense with thousands of people watching their large plasma tv's, and ofcourse, its now February.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-03, 18:51

Ugh...yeah, I didn't think about that. That's a good candidate (for all the reasons you gave), although I really hope it's not.

Talk about a product that generates no interest/excitement for me. I barely even acknowledge the damn thing's existence.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-03, 18:55

When would this ad be?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-03, 19:02

Sometime during tomorrow's game, whenever that is. I assume they'd limit its airing to the game itself and not the 9-hour "pre-game" build-up and bullcrap? I'm not sure how that works.

But I'll be watching Puppy Bowl III anyway.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-02-04, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjar View Post
"Beatles Music Available on iTunes and a special edition Beatles iPod"

This would make the most sense for a mass audience and to spark Valentine's Day buying.

And the song used will be "All You Need Is Love". This ties in with the latest Beatles/George Martin release, the Las Vegas Show, and Valentine's Day itself.

A perfect planetary alignment of Marketing...
I agree. It's perfect.

I think the Beatles iPod will be yellow, possibly with a red clickwheel and little retro "eddies" around the clickwheel. (See the "Love" covers to see what I mean.) Either that, or totally stark white, a la White Album. But I hope it's the former.

Considering Jobs played Beatles on the iPhone at Macworld, an announcement has to be coming soon. Tomorrow seems like the perfect time to promote such a mass-market release.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

davidbaldwin

2007-02-04, 02:27

If I'm not mistaken...the only other Superbowel commercial Apple has had, is the infamous "1984" ad...

Wouldn't Steve want a Super Bowel ad for the product that he is "more excieted about than the Macintosh?"

Just a thought...
-Baldwin

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-02-04, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbaldwin View Post
If I'm not mistaken...the only other Superbowel commercial Apple has had, is the infamous "1984" ad...

Wouldn't Steve want a Super Bowel ad for the product that he is "more excieted about than the Macintosh?"

Just a thought...
-Baldwin
They had a Super Bowl ad in 1985, too. "Lemmings." It was over-hyped and underwhelming.

I don't know if they've had any Super Bowl ads since then. I know they had that Y2K "Dave" one...I don't know if was during the Super Bowl. Maybe New Year's? That would make more sense...

But yeah, I could see the ad being for the iPhone, too, I guess. There's still some people out there who don't know about it. Of course, those people probably wouldn't care to know about a phone six months before it is released...Beatles it is.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-02-04, 03:20

Enderle says he's been told it will be an amazing ad, launching the touchscreen video iPod...
Quote:
... the Super Bowl where Apple will return and do what is expected to be one of the best ads ever launching: not Leopard and a new PC line, but the iPhone based iPod if what I’m told will happen does.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-04, 09:33

I hope he's right. I'm going to have some money to spend this month (tax refund time!), and I was planning on a 5G refurb. If the touch screen model is introduced, though, I'll be picking it up instead.

spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-02-04, 09:38

Yeah, the touch screen might finally persuade me to buy one.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-04, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I hope he's right. I'm going to have some money to spend this month (tax refund time!), and I was planning on a 5G refurb. If the touch screen model is introduced, though, I'll be picking it up instead.
fcgriz, if a touch-screen iPod doesn't come, check out my less-than-five-months-old 5.5G video iPod (with Jack Sparrow on the packaging) for sale in the Nova Bazaar (includes dock and case).

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-04, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
fcgriz, if a touch-screen iPod doesn't come, check out my less-than-five-months-old 5.5G video iPod (with Jack Sparrow on the packaging) for sale in the Nova Bazaar (includes dock and case).
I would buy yours, but I was planning on the 60 GB refurb 5G (Apple sells them for only $229). I would love to help you out, but I don't need all the extra stuff, and I want more than 30 GB. Sorry.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-02-04, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Yeah, but 'gathered data' includes:

1) N number of slots
2) n number of slots purchased by M companies
3) If n = N, the list is complete

In the past, it's been simple to find out who has bought slots, and while Apple has never discussed the *content*, the fact that they purchased time has always been known well ahead of airtime.

I just don't see how they could keep it under wraps. Considering that the sole source in this is actually a Beatles blogger (Terry Ott - google him) and that the info about Apple and the Super Bowl ad doesn't even appear on *his own* website, I think it's bogus.
Couldn't Apple purchase n slot from an M company, on the side and under the radar?

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-02-04, 10:40

i telling you, the touchscreen iPod comes before the iPhone...too big of a market for apple to ignore...plus the iPod has been very good to apple...they will continue to milk it for all its worth, and that means advancing it and improving it and keeping it the must have device....

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-02-04, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
i telling you, the touchscreen iPod comes before the iPhone...too big of a market for apple to ignore...plus the iPod has been very good to apple...they will continue to milk it for all its worth, and that means advancing it and improving it and keeping it the must have device....

g
Who could disagree with that?

Is it 1981?

2007-02-04, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbaldwin View Post
He's so excited, he's lost control of said bowel movements and practically creamed himself with excitement and moist fervour.

Perhaps 'Super Bowel' was just a typo... Either way, I could see either one happening.

Or an ad for some obscure Japanese laxative/ aphrodesiac.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-02-04, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981? View Post
He's so excited, he's lost control of said bowel movements and practically creamed himself with excitement and moist fervour.

Perhaps 'Super Bowel' was just a typo... Either way, I could see either one happening.

Or an ad for some obscure Japanese laxative/ aphrodesiac.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-04, 11:29

Ah, so we're pinning our hopes on a "Trojan" advertiser? Roll the "ad" up to the gates, let the public pull it into Ilium, then beat the everloving stuffing out of them with a surprise commercial? Love the concept, wouldn't bet my money on it....

...by the way, if you see the FedEx "Moon Office" advertisement in tonight's game, I know the guy playing the character named "Phil". They supposedly spent $4 Million on the ad....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter