Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Will Leopard be snappier™ than 10.4.9?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will Leopard be snappier™ than 10.4.9?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-04-02, 18:09

With Leopard being touted as a major upgrade, I'm wondering if it will encounter the same speed issues we had with the original OSX. Each subsequent upgrade improved the speed and stability to where we are today with 10.4.9.

I still remember the good (and not so good) times of OS9. But at least it was fast at resizing windows and opening folders.
I suppose I'm just hoping that there isn't too much eye candy with Leopard that will sacrifice speed for looks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-02, 18:30

Speed improvements on Leopard include a vastly superior OpenGL implementation (which, indirectly at least, affects everything GUI-related), the GUI being in its own thread of Cocoa apps rather than in the main thread, Core Text having a faster and more standardized text rendering implementation and Quartz GL (renamed from Quartz 2D Extreme, which never really made it to 10.4 Tiger).
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-04-02, 18:37

So for us humans that means faster GUI right?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-02, 18:47

In theory...
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-04-02, 19:22

Should we expect to see speed improvements from more of the OS going Intel native?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-04-02, 20:25

remember Pogue's Law: speed improvements will be offset by the new features (eg, coreanimation)
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-04-02, 20:29

Has anyone here have heard from, say, a "friend" who might have access to a dev build, about teh snappiness?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-04-02, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Should we expect to see speed improvements from more of the OS going Intel native?
Huh? What makes you think the whole of the OS isn't already fully "Intel native"?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-02, 22:55

First let's be specific, what do you define (Satchmo) as "Snappy"? Most things in Tiger are already instantaneous as far as visual feedback to mouse inputs, etc. Things like connecting to a .Mac folder or network share (which tend to be laggy) are a totally separate matter. They have much less to do with the UI than what's underneath it.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-04-02, 23:12

The only thing I want in 10.5 is a more stable Safari. It crashes all the time and I get the spinning ball for 30+ seconds all the time.


Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-04-02, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
The only thing I want in 10.5 is a more stable Safari. It crashes all the time and I get the spinning ball for 30+ seconds all the time.
what sites, i never get that
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-04-02, 23:48

Not any specific site. Just happens randomly. If I leave safari open over night it will take forever to load a page.
rampancy

2007-04-03, 01:55

What about if Mail and iChat will hi- oh, never mind.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-04-03, 02:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
Amen.

Times two.

If I don't quit Safari at least once a day, Safari gets very sluggish and the spinning beach ball pops up all too often. Some of it is assuredly the fault of web designers who insist on putting every design bell and whistle on every single web page, but Safari still isn't as stable as one would expect after so many years of existence. (The problem seems to be a huge cache; I've had Safari's cache grow to almost 1 GB. Hopefully the next version of Safari will allow users to limit (or eliminate altogether) the cache size.)
Baron Munchausen

2007-04-03, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
what sites, i never get that
MIT Tech Review site eats Safari for breakfast. I have to read and quickly bail out before my PB starts to sweat. I blame some script-kiddie clunkware, but still...

I am awaiting next gen MBPros so I can get multi-core behaviour on my laptop. I miss my MDD Dual 1.42!

Lets have a quad-core laptop, folks!
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2007-04-03, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
that is the big, secret new feature of Leopard... or at least, the one people will be most happy about!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-03, 11:19

Simple solution: quit your apps before putting the computer to sleep overnight. It's only going to take you 5 seconds to click your dock icons or DragThing icons or shortcuts to open them up again...

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 11:21

What if we don't put or computers to sleep, and we like having things always open?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-03, 11:36

Then you're burning energy for no reason whatsoever and deserve the nerf bat treatment. [sergeant Hartman]Put your computer to sleep when you walk away from it, twinkle-toes![/sergeant Hartman]

It doesn't hurt; I promise. I used to shut it down all the time which is the biggest PITA because you have to wait for reboot. But leaving it on all the time when you're not using it, borders on irresponsible. Ecologically, financially, and spiritually. I have seen the widsom of sleep after many years of not sleeping the Mac. JUST DO IT (or Murbot will give Chuck Norris your address... oh wait... Chuck Norris already has your address).

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-04-03, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
First let's be specific, what do you define (Satchmo) as "Snappy"? Most things in Tiger are already instantaneous as far as visual feedback to mouse inputs, etc. Things like connecting to a .Mac folder or network share (which tend to be laggy) are a totally separate matter. They have much less to do with the UI than what's underneath it.
I'm pretty happy with 10.4.9 so far. Occasionally in open dialog boxes, folders with many items pause before showing up. The preview also lag a bit.
If Leopard with all it's new features can be as snappy as we are today, I'd be satisfied. Just don't go backwards in speed...that's all I'm sayin'
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Huh? What makes you think the whole of the OS isn't already fully "Intel native"?
Last I heard, it wasn't.
bazzler

2007-04-03, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
hi.....lariously adopt a "brushed aluminium" look ?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-03, 13:57

Quote:
Last I heard, it wasn't.
Heard from who...?

If there's already a completely native version of 10.4 (and prior versions), why -from the very start- would there not be a completely native version of 10.5? Makes no sense at all.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 14:08

First time that I've heard the word "snappy" in a while. Shows you how far OS X has come. My first experience on OS X, Sept. 2001, on my new jellybean iMac (since retired), was of unusable unsnappiness. Things became markedly better with 10.1 which I installed in late fall of that year. (Nice review/history of 10.1 in linked article.) As others have noted, each release since has seemed a little bit better.* I had not heard any rumour that Leopard would buck this trend. I hope not.

* Some third-party software - notably MS Office - operating in the OS X environment, excluded. Despite notable bumps in speed in my computer (I now have a G5 iMac and a Intel Mini), snappiness is still somewhat of an issue with Office. I don't see any reason why it should be an issue - I can't see why MS could not have corrected this, if they wanted. I suppose that is really another issue though.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Some third-party software - notably MS Office - operating in the OS X environment, excluded. Despite notable bumps in speed in my computer (I now have a G5 iMac and a Intel Mini), snappiness is still somewhat of an issue with Office. I don't see any reason why it should be an issue - I can't see why MS could not have corrected this, if they wanted. I suppose that is really another issue though.
Doesn't matter. With the extra power of Leopard, we'll all be using NeoOffice soon anyway.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Heard from who...?

If there's already a completely native version of 10.4 (and prior versions), why -from the very start- would there not be a completely native version of 10.5? Makes no sense at all.
So then the answer would be "no." Isn't that better than just being argumentative? Brad, I'm also looking in your direction...

Also, think about it. If I assumed that there was already a fully native version of OS X, why would I ask if 10.5 would be more native? Wouldn't it make more sense to assume that I'm under the impression that 10.4 is not fully native, rather than assuming I know it's fully native but I'm just asking an obviously stupid question?

I mean if you're going to ridicule me for not being all-knowing, at least ridicule me for the right thing, not something even more stupid than what I'm asking.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-03, 17:42

Xaqtly, I'm still curious where you did get the impression that the OS hasn't been entirely Intel-native. No version of OS X that shipped on an Intel Mac wasn't. Certain additional apps were (and some third-party ones still are), but the OS itself, including all bundled apps, has been fully Intel-native from day one of Intel iMacs (and later Mac minis, then MacBook Pros, then MacBooks, etc.) shipping.
Anthem

2007-04-03, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
remember Pogue's Law: speed improvements will be offset by the new features (eg, coreanimation)
Pogue never used KDE4.
rampancy

2007-04-03, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzler View Post
hi.....lariously adopt a "brushed aluminium" look ?
Well, that's a valid question (one I hope Apple won't answer - God forbid the developer of Aqua4iTunes having to develop "Aqua4iChat" or "Aqua4Mail")...but I was referring to the burning question of whether or not Mail and iChat will hide on startup in 10.5 (since they obviously didn't fix it for 10.4.9).

I ask for all our sakes, since rasmits is going to go on a murderous rampage if this doesn't get fixed soon.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-04-04, 04:59

Quote:
So then the answer would be "no." Isn't that better than just being argumentative? Brad, I'm also looking in your direction...

Also, think about it. If I assumed that there was already a fully native version of OS X, why would I ask if 10.5 would be more native? Wouldn't it make more sense to assume that I'm under the impression that 10.4 is not fully native, rather than assuming I know it's fully native but I'm just asking an obviously stupid question?

I mean if you're going to ridicule me for not being all-knowing, at least ridicule me for the right thing, not something even more stupid than what I'm asking.
I read your question as wether 10.5 would mean some more Intel optimization, like special tweaking for multi-core configurations. Or even some kind of automatic speed optimization by recognizing CPU and GPU configurations.

I am curious about that...