User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iTunes Problem: It keeps hanging

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes Problem: It keeps hanging
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-10-29, 22:28

Hey guys. I have a problem. iTunes keeps hanging on me. It does it whether I'm trying to play my iPod's music through it, or basically whatever I do. I've tried deleting the hidden preferences on my iPod but that doesn't seem to help. I only deleted iPodPrefs and iTunesPrefs. I remember that all this was working fine before I installed the latest security updates. How do I remove packages that have been installed to revert to what was there before?

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-30, 01:54

I can almost guarantee you that the security update is not causing your troubles. Some of the updated files are related to QuickTime, but I don't believe they affect iTunes.

Have you tried all the standard fixing procedures?

Remove all iTunes and iPod files from Prefs and Prefs/ByHost.
Repair drive.
Repair permissions.
Run the daily, weekly, and monthly crontabs.
Delete caches and reboot.
Et cetera...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-10-30, 06:29

Yeah.. I realized that. When I posted that I was really worried about my iPod. I got it to mount, but now iTunes tells me that there's a software update available for it. I say that I want to update and then iPod Updater 7-15.app opens but it complains that it can't find the SysInfo file on the iPod disk. So, I can use my iPod as a hard drive like I always have but iTunes won't load it up. After today's Apple Store opening I'm gonna restore it and see if that helps. I'm also going (while I'm there) to have the new employees at the new store take a look at it for me. I'll let you know what happens, but right now I'm getting ready to go out there (to the mall). I wanna get there as early as possible so I can avoid lines.

Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!
ShiggyMiyamoto

2004-11-21, 19:04

Ok well my iPod and/or iTunes is acting up again. It's doing the same thing as it was before. I'm going try to reinstall iTunes again but I highly doubt that'll work. It didn't before so why would it now? It was working fine yesterday. I put my iBook to sleep overnight with the iPod connected and mounted. Would that have done it? I deleted the iTunes prefs on my computer, as well as the iPodPrefs and the iTunesPrefs files on the iPod in its hidden directories. I'll wipe my iPod only as a last resort, as before. Any suggestions?

EDIT: iTunes eventually shows the iPod but then continues to hang. It was doing this even before I deleted the hidden prefs on the iPod itself. I'm going to test it out on my dad's Powerbook to see if it acts the same as it does on my iBook. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Last edited by ShiggyMiyamoto : 2004-11-21 at 19:16. Reason: Forgot to include something
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-11-21, 19:18

When does it hang? When you're playing a song or when you're not playing a song. We have some threads here at AN that relate to behaviour like that iTunes related that was also causing kernel panics or hard freezes for some.

For me, the hard freezes went away, but iTunes now randomly freezes at the very end of a song I'm playing. I've tried all the usual methods of fixing it, and no dice.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
ShiggyMiyamoto

2004-11-21, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
When does it hang? When you're playing a song or when you're not playing a song. We have some threads here at AN that relate to behaviour like that iTunes related that was also causing kernel panics or hard freezes for some.

For me, the hard freezes went away, but iTunes now randomly freezes at the very end of a song I'm playing. I've tried all the usual methods of fixing it, and no dice.
It hangs when it tries to load up my iPod. Since I deleted the hidden prefs on the iPod iTunes it's now defaulted to load up iTunes upon the iPod being connected to my computer. It would still do it even when I'd click iTunes in my Dock.

ShiggyMiyamoto

2004-11-21, 19:50

OK Well I've backed up my data and I'm going wipe my iPod. Thanks guys for your suggestions etc. I'll let you know if I still have any problems.