User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Printer problem (/usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb failed)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Printer problem (/usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb failed)
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-05-22, 00:48

Hi guys,
So my printer was shared on my MacPro so my MBP could print wireless no problem. As well as the MacPro. So now I have a different setpup... just the MBP is still at home. So I plugged the printer directly in my router... it got that little usb tagged "printer". So I guessed it would be a plug and play but no, it's not working. No big deal, I'm gonna plug my MBP directly to the printer. What !?!?! It doesn't work !?!?

Here is the error I'm getting "/usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb failed". It appears in that window... you know, the one where is listed the print queue. And you can cancel, pause...

Anybody ever heard of this ? I'll try to unistall of printer related stuff and reinstall but it would be nice to know what's going on. And maybe just unistall/reinstall won't work. Goddamn... I would be doomed.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-11-08, 20:00

Hey guys I just solved this so I post this if it can help someone.

In fact I don't really know what solved my problem as I did 2 things before retrying the printer.

First, I went in the printer/fax panel and did a reset of printing stuff. This is done by holding control while clicking in the list of printers. It will ask if you want to reset... It erase printers, prefs and all.

Second, I unistalled the "instant hijack plugin". This was installed by Audio Hijack. To unistall it, I downloaded a version of it. When I laucnhed it, it told me there was an update for the plugin. After clicking update, I had the choice to unistall. I've read on forums that for some peoples, just update to the lastest version would bring the printer back to life... As I have no use for it anymore, I didn't even try.

Hope this can help someone.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
dsloves

2008-12-11, 01:15

Fabulous job. I didn't even bother with the printer/fax reset. I simply uninstalled the instant hijack plugin and all was happy! You saved me hours - thanks!
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-12-11, 09:36

Great to see I helped and to know what was the real solution !

I say fuck to the printer reset !!!