Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The "No Politics Allowed" Thread!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The "No Politics Allowed" Thread!!!
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Freewell

2009-03-12, 02:02

Ok Guys... That pretty much sums it up... Talk about anything you want, but NO political references here whatsoever!!! ZERO TOLERANCE for violators. Soap Boxes welcome, as long as they have nothing to do with politics!! Feel free to laugh, poke fun, cut up, gripe, moan and complain... Just NOT about anything or anyone political!! This is now the sacred haven from all things political!

Come on... I know you can do it!!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-12, 02:10

So...um, I like yogurt?
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2009-03-12, 02:20

I'm busy applying for jobs for after graduation this June. It's pretty boring.

Hey look, Girl Scout cookies!
Freewell

2009-03-12, 02:28

I'm still waiting on my Girl Scout Cookies to arrive... I told Hubby to get his own, cause I'm not good at sharing!!

Seriously though... I hope the whole job prep thing goes well!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-03-12, 02:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
Hey look, Girl Scout cookies!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Sc...#Controversies
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-03-12, 03:27

What human behaviour couldn't be construed as being political. All of our decisions, from whether or not we eat yogurt (or what kind we buy), what job we apply for, who we buy cookies from...

I think I broke the rule...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-12, 04:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
What human behaviour couldn't be construed as being political. All of our decisions, from whether or not we eat yogurt (or what kind we buy), what job we apply for, who we buy cookies from...

I think I broke the rule...
My stepdad took that idea and ran with it. Every possible decision wasn't just a political act - it was a moral one. I.e., everything was either "morally right" or "morally wrong." Even, say, whether to eat chocolate ice cream or strawberry. One of those would be, quite literally, a sin (or at least more of a "sin" than the other).

I think he did this so that he could claim he was right (not just correct, but morally right) about everything. He couldn't just tell people (mainly his wives - my mom was his third) that they were wrong, he could tell them they were sinning for not agreeing with him - no matter what it was. Wanting to buy flowers, for example, was a sin, because guess who decided which course of action was the morally appropriate one?

Yeah, he's kind of loco. And I think I broke the rule too.

Anyway, I'm having another yogurt. Yoplait Light Strawberry Shortcake, and it's kind of disappointing.

(But really, what's the point of starting a thread not to talk about something?)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-03-12, 04:41

Why can't there be pegacorn?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-03-12, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
(But really, what's the point of starting a thread not to talk about something?)
Yeah. If nobody ever disagrees with someone, they must be a very uninteresting, uninspiring person. (Conversely, if nobody ever does agree, they're doing it wrong as well. )
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-12, 04:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Why can't there be pegacorn?
Because of the controversial "FED UP" (Forcefully Ending the Development of Unicorn-Pegasi) act of 1872, of course.

POLITICS!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-03-12, 04:53

But I want a pegacorn for my birthday.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-03-12, 06:59

There must be a pony in here somewhere....
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-03-12, 07:05

Don't rescue me, I'm just stumpy.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-03-12, 07:09

^ Isn't that beating a dead horse?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-03-12, 08:53

Don't we already have a Twitter thread? BTW Twitter is retarded.

"Hi Gang, just went to the bathroom... will be on email soon."

"Yo! I just saw a movie last night. Will tell you more at lunch."

"Dude, my Mom's oatmeal is terrible... have presentation today. Starting out bad, Ugh!"

"I am taking my daughter to her first dance recital today but am unaware that no one cares."

"I am looking at a really awesome YouTube clip right now... here's tehURL."

"Lakers Win!"

"OMG Buffy, I saw someone shot up a school in Germaneez!"

STHU. No one cares. SRSLY. Life is complicated enough and has enough information to sort through without reading other people's ultra-vanilla minutia. Twitter is nothing but a way for the guy who invented it to make money and serves little useful purpose. I am amazed at how many corporate types out there force themselves to:

Email, Phone Text, SameTime, Link In, Twitter... on a daily frickin basis! Believe me cubicle guy, nothing you have to say is THAT important that you need 5 places to say it.

Multiply that sentiment by 10 for kids who are still in high school or college who haven't yet earned their cubicle. Younger groups routinely:

Email, Phone Text, Facebook, Twitter and MySpace.

WTF?! How many different ways of sending text information do we need? When is too much? When does it stop being useful and start being a gimmick? The answer is, it stopped being useful after Email, the occasional phone text (i.e. no computer around) and Linked In, IMO. At least Linked in has a true professional angle and networking thing built into its makeup. It's not just a wall where you plaster funneh picturez and yer fav UToob URLs.

I can't wait to see what today's 15-22 generation looks like in about 10 years. They're going to have gadgets implanted on their face with retinal scanners that can detect which keyboard key they're looking at so they can constantly update their email, voicetext, mySpace, yerSpace, theirSpace, uToob, myToob, Linked-in, Linked-out, Twitter, Shitter and Facebook 2.0... all to let people know, essentially "I am lonely but wanted to post something so you all can read it and post something back, but not so lonely that I actually want to talk to you on the phone for any reason. Because nothing important is actually happening at this moment (99% of the time)."

How's that for a soap box?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-03-12, 09:07

But .. but... what about pegacorn?
Freewell

2009-03-12, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Don't we already have a Twitter thread? BTW Twitter is retarded.

"Hi Gang, just went to the bathroom... will be on email soon."

"Yo! I just saw a movie last night. Will tell you more at lunch."

"Dude, my Mom's oatmeal is terrible... have presentation today. Starting out bad, Ugh!"

"I am taking my daughter to her first dance recital today but am unaware that no one cares."

"I am looking at a really awesome YouTube clip right now... here's tehURL."

"Lakers Win!"

"OMG Buffy, I saw someone shot up a school in Germaneez!"

STHU. No one cares. SRSLY. Life is complicated enough and has enough information to sort through without reading other people's ultra-vanilla minutia. Twitter is nothing but a way for the guy who invented it to make money and serves little useful purpose. I am amazed at how many corporate types out there force themselves to:

Email, Phone Text, SameTime, Link In, Twitter... on a daily frickin basis! Believe me cubicle guy, nothing you have to say is THAT important that you need 5 places to say it.

Multiply that sentiment by 10 for kids who are still in high school or college who haven't yet earned their cubicle. Younger groups routinely:

Email, Phone Text, Facebook, Twitter and MySpace.

WTF?! How many different ways of sending text information do we need? When is too much? When does it stop being useful and start being a gimmick? The answer is, it stopped being useful after Email, the occasional phone text (i.e. no computer around) and Linked In, IMO. At least Linked in has a true professional angle and networking thing built into its makeup. It's not just a wall where you plaster funneh picturez and yer fav UToob URLs.

I can't wait to see what today's 15-22 generation looks like in about 10 years. They're going to have gadgets implanted on their face with retinal scanners that can detect which keyboard key they're looking at so they can constantly update their email, voicetext, mySpace, yerSpace, theirSpace, uToob, myToob, Linked-in, Linked-out, Twitter, Shitter and Facebook 2.0... all to let people know, essentially "I am lonely but wanted to post something so you all can read it and post something back, but not so lonely that I actually want to talk to you on the phone for any reason. Because nothing important is actually happening at this moment (99% of the time)."

How's that for a soap box?
Loved it!!! You seem to have got the point of the whole thread! Congrats!!

Oh, and BTW... I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-12, 11:23

I do believe you nailed it, Moogs.
chucker

2009-03-12, 11:53

Oh boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Twitter is nothing but a way for the guy who invented it to make money
Um… what?

I guess you missed the part where they're not making money at this point. (Hint: there's no ads. Not that there easily could be, given that most people use third-party clients.)

Quote:
and serves little useful purpose. I am amazed at how many corporate types out there force themselves to:

Well, guess what: I benefit from it, so fuck you and your world view so narrow-minded that you think everything not worthwhile to you couldn't possibly be worthwhile to someone else.

People like you who think they need to bash Twitter as useless are even worse douchebags than those Twitter users who think following tens of thousands of people on Twitter is cool.

</rant>

There, now we can go back to no politics. Too bad "Link In"[sic] isn't saving you time, cause it's saving people like me time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-12, 11:56

Uh-oh. Here we go...

Just when the Taskiss/Kickaha thing settled down in that other thread, here comes a Moogs/chucker street brawl.

Sorry, Freewell. Your opening post didn't say anything about "no anger-fueled personal grudge matches".

zippy
Veteran Member

2009-03-12, 11:57

I think Twitter is moronic.

Can I be a douchebag too Chucker??
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-03-12, 11:58

Ooooo! Popcorn!
Freewell

2009-03-12, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Uh-oh. Here we go...

Just when the Taskiss/Kickaha thing settled down in that other thread, here comes a Moogs/chucker street brawl.

Sorry, Freewell. Your opening post didn't say anything about "no anger-fueled personal grudge matches".

Where's the LMAO smilie when you need one?!??
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2009-03-12, 12:08

Reading postings from old people about Twitter. God old people suck.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-03-12, 12:09

I hate twitter.

I hate facebook.

I hate people who talk on their phones while they drive.

I hate people who text while they drive.

I hate people who pull out their phones to reply to text messages in the middle of conversation.

I hate people who talk on their phones while at a restaurant with others.

I hate people who talk on their phones in movies.

To sum it up.

Your life isn't that important. (At least for 99% of you)

Stop pretending that it is.

(perhaps hate is too strong a word, but not by much)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Freewell

2009-03-12, 12:11

While we on the subject of technology... Have I mentioned what a vast vacuumous void watching t.v. makes of the human brain?! The only thing I know of that can rot your brain in 5 easy clicks!!

Freewell

2009-03-12, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Oh boy.

Um… what?

I guess you missed the part where they're not making money at this point. (Hint: there's no ads. Not that there easily could be, given that most people use third-party clients.)

Well, guess what: I benefit from it, so fuck you and your world view so narrow-minded that you think everything not worthwhile to you couldn't possibly be worthwhile to someone else.

People like you who think they need to bash Twitter as useless are even worse douchebags than those Twitter users who think following tens of thousands of people on Twitter is cool.

</rant>

There, now we can go back to no politics. Too bad "Link In"[sic] isn't saving you time, cause it's saving people like me time.
I LOVE your volatile passion for life, chucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I think Twitter is moronic.

Can I be a douchebag too Chucker??
You know, you've never struck me as the douchebag type! There are those who hang around like a stale hemorrhoid who seem to have been been given a supersized double dose of that distinct status...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetman View Post
Reading postings from old people about Twitter. God old people suck.
Sorry everyone... I forgot to specify "No band-camp stories!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I hate twitter.

I hate facebook.

I hate people who talk on their phones while they drive.

I hate people who text while they drive.

I hate people who pull out their phones to reply to text messages in the middle of conversation.

I hate people who talk on their phones while at a restaurant with others.

I hate people who talk on their phones in movies.

To sum it up.

Your life isn't that important. (At least for 99% of you)

Stop pretending that it is.

(perhaps hate is too strong a word, but not by much)
Wow... There are a lot of very strong emotions there alc... Need to talk?!

Ok... I have a soapbox... I despise people who are completely incapable behind the wheel who insist on placing themselves there!! HELLO!!!!! TAKE THE BUS!! It's there for a reason! Just get the heck out of my way! Oh, and to the idiotic woman who can't drive AND is talking on the cellphone... SHUT UP and get off the road... You are giving the rest of us a really bad name!!

Ahh... It's a wonderful world!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-03-12, 12:50

So, we talk about hate instead of politics?

I still want my pegacorn.
Freewell

2009-03-12, 12:54

There you go, Banana... Feel better?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-03-12, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewell View Post
Sorry everyone... I forgot to specify "No band-camp stories!"
*puts down flute dejectedly*