Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

AirPort & Broadband Advice

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AirPort & Broadband Advice
trevo

2005-02-04, 09:32

Hey Guys,

We've just started looking into to broadband and have started to look at modems/routers before even choosing an ISP.

The situation is: Myself with one of the brand new spanking G4 Powerbooks and there's also a Win Xp OS in the house. We have a multifunction fax/printer that we need to share, which is what drew me to the AirPort in the first place. Our house is about a medium size in Australia, i would only be about 20m MAX from the base station, whilst the windows running machine would be about 25m.

I.ve heard alot of bad things about the base station but they all seem to be threads from around 2003, has the base station been updated since then? What's the performance like, etc. etc.

If i do go ahead after reviewing the AirPort, what seems to be a good modem to use in harmony.

Thanks a bunch,
Matt.
joel604

2005-02-04, 09:58

Matt --

I am currently waiting with baited breath for my ADC student membership to be approved so that I can purchase a new 15" PB. I am currently using an older-ish Dell XP laptop at school with an Airport Extreme base station to share the internet connection with my HP printer, my roommate's two XP computers, and to beam music to an AP Express. It works great now, though setup was a little tricky. I am not sure if I can point this to my aging laptop's seeming inability to stick with one wireless network or if using WEP encryption while having the Express extend the range of the Extreme was the problem.

The only complaint that I have is the fact that the Express can't extend the range of a non-Apple wireless network. I have read many of the posts on this site as well as the forums on the Apple support site. The problem stems from proprietary issues in Wireless Data Services (WDS). This is apparently a problem extending the range of ANY wireless network using WDS with two (or more) base stations of differing brands. That having been said, if you are not going to mix and match, this won't be an issue.

As for your modem/router question, unless you want to plunk down some $$$ to purchase your own modem, I'd recommend just leasing one from your cable provider. It's just a couple of dollars a month & you are then protected against any future system upgrades. You won't need to buy a separate router, unless you want to share your connection to more than one wired computer (and up to 50? wireless computers) using the Extreme.

Hope this helps!

Joel
iDorf

2005-02-04, 11:30

Matt,
Yea - I was on the fence when my Ice Airport (802.11b) died. I'm not impressed with the life I got with the unit. Looks like a ventilation problem causing a "slow burn". I went with a Netgear FWG114P - and not looking back!

While I love Apple - I really wanted to get out of the "propriety" world of Airport. I use OS 9 and X systems. OS 9 is not supported with Airport Extreme. Yes, it will work, but you can't "get into" the base - no config. This is silly. The Netgear is configured through your browser. OS blind. Nice!

Using "industry standard" wireless network equipment does require a bit of knowledge to get security up and running. Password must be in hex. When configuring the Netgear, one input a "normal word" password, then click generate to get the hex password. This is the password you must use - the long hex word. AND, when this password is entered in your computer to get on the network, you must put a "$" character in front of this hex password. This tells your Apple to pass the password as hex, not text.

Works fine. With OS 10.2 the connection is automatically made on power-up. Have only had to enter the password once. Keep the hex password handy though - keep in a file somewhere (best kept in a USB flash drive maybe) so you can cut and paste. A 128 bit wep pass is 26 char long!

Best to you in deciding - Karl

Last edited by iDorf : 2005-02-04 at 12:13.
Mister Black

2005-02-04, 14:16

Or you could just get an airport basestation and not have to do the 10,000,000 extra things that youd have to do with a netgear router. I mean, os 9, really?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-04, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Black
Or you could just get an airport basestation and not have to do the 10,000,000 extra things that youd have to do with a netgear router. I mean, os 9, really?
This is good advice.....
trevo

2005-02-04, 19:43

Quote:
As for your modem/router question, unless you want to plunk down some $$$ to purchase your own modem, I'd recommend just leasing one from your cable provider.
I would agree but most providers in Australia don't lease you a modem, you have to buy one when you sign up or BYO (bring your own). We're not signing up on a lengthy contract too, just a couple of months before we move houses. Not to mention the ISPs we're looking at use either D-Link or Billion hardware, and sorry to say, I’m not a fan. I just wanted to check that I wouldn't have any compatibility issues with the AirPort and the modem?
iDorf

2005-02-04, 19:59

Matt,
Modems are pretty much "dumb bricks". Industry standard communications. Shouldn't have worries about interplay here. Just find a router that suits you.
trevo

2005-02-04, 20:20

Okay thanks, 1 more question and i swear i'll just go out and buy one!

Other than the obvious ports, what's the difference between the AirPort Express and Extreme? There's a couple more security options on the Extreme but are they really needed?

Thanks for your support (im learning)

Matt.
iDorf

2005-02-05, 00:34

Matt - here's a review -
express

Nice little device. But, no built-in hardware firewall. Hardware firewalls are pretty common in routers - they are a good thing.

It's not really designed as an "installed router" - more a travel device so you can stream your iTunes in your hotel.

Karl
gjas15

2005-02-05, 03:10

In my place i first had a linksys 4 port router to connect a win ME comp and my B&W G3 to our DSL... crapped out in about a year (dont buy linksys...cisco may make good enterprise equipment but their consumer line sucks) I now have a netgear 4 port 802.11b/g/super-g router (WGT624) this thing has great range well at least with my airport express (waiting on my new 15" 'book) it has never crashed unlike the linksys and takes up very little space with the included vertical stand. The bigest feature with me though is it supports WPA encryption in plain text words (WEP is useless... a 6 year old could break its encyrption) WPA encrypts both the IP AND MAC address...

If you can grab the MAC of a comp the rest is cake... and no i dont hack... just a net security major... THEY MADE ME TAKE HACKING 101, HONEST! :smokey:

Anyway to get back on topic, Id save myself $100 and get one of these for a wireless network.

Oh and it has a built in "stateful packet inspection" firewall with NAT (I run through two NAT firewalls as my modem and this router have them... not by choice mind you its a pain in the a$$ to forward ports through two devices)

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-02-05 at 03:19.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-05, 05:37

Will that router work with an Airport Express in WDS mode?
That would be cool...
gjas15

2005-02-05, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Will that router work with an Airport Express in WDS mode?
That would be cool...
Ive heard in the next couple of firmware updates they will add the functionality... since WDS (Wireless Distribution System) is part of the revised 802.11b/g spec and very new... remember how long it took for other companies to adobt 802.11g? Itll be a little while till they support WDS... (at least in their older products)
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-06, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt O'Keyes
Okay thanks, 1 more question and i swear i'll just go out and buy one!

Other than the obvious ports, what's the difference between the AirPort Express and Extreme? There's a couple more security options on the Extreme but are they really needed?

Thanks for your support (im learning)

Matt.
If you can afford it, use Extreme - better range and more expandable. I use both, but Express is a bit like a travel adapter.
nathanaaron02

2005-02-09, 13:36

I just got my PowerBook yesterday, and had an Airport Extreme, etc. I worked and worked to get that thing up and running last night, but gave up. LOL I know more than likely it's just something I'm doing wrong; so I'll try again tonight. I have Roadrunner, and if I plug the ethernet into the computer modem, it does work (though it seems hit or miss; I think it has to do with resetting the modem when you unplug it or something? I haven't a clue what I'm saying, really; so who knows!) because a couple times, no internet; then this morning I plug it in, internet. But then I'll go and plug it into the Airport, set it up to my understanding, and nothing. Grr. But I think it's user error. So I'll just try harder! Still recommend it, though!
nathanaaron02

2005-02-10, 16:27

Update! So I got the Airport working great, I'm so happy! But I have a question about general/etc. security with the Airport. I'm using Roadrunner (Time Warner), and running the modem cable through Airport. Originally Roadrunner came with this firewall software I installed and used on my PC; but I did not do that with the Apple, as I've heard that the Airport has a firewall installed in it? Correct? Is it on all the time? (Also, doesn't the actual Powerbook have some firewall you can turn on and off? Or did I miss hear?) What security measures should I think about with the Airport now, so it doesn't get hacked, or spywared (I realize that is barely possible, with a Mac; or at least viruses, etc.) There are three options (I believe three) available in Airport Network Security, with the default being sometime to the like of "network security is disabled". Options include: WEP encryption, and two others, NONE of which make any sense to me?

I'm sorry this post is slightly confusing, I'm not that knowledgable on this aspect of the computer/Airport, and also don't have it directly in front of me (the laptop or Airport) to be more specific. THANKS!
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-10, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanaaron02
Update! So I got the Airport working great, I'm so happy! But I have a question about general/etc. security with the Airport. I'm using Roadrunner (Time Warner), and running the modem cable through Airport. Originally Roadrunner came with this firewall software I installed and used on my PC; but I did not do that with the Apple, as I've heard that the Airport has a firewall installed in it? Correct? Is it on all the time? (Also, doesn't the actual Powerbook have some firewall you can turn on and off? Or did I miss hear?) What security measures should I think about with the Airport now, so it doesn't get hacked, or spywared (I realize that is barely possible, with a Mac; or at least viruses, etc.) There are three options (I believe three) available in Airport Network Security, with the default being sometime to the like of "network security is disabled". Options include: WEP encryption, and two others, NONE of which make any sense to me?

I'm sorry this post is slightly confusing, I'm not that knowledgable on this aspect of the computer/Airport, and also don't have it directly in front of me (the laptop or Airport) to be more specific. THANKS!
PowerBook firewall is fine (third party software also available). Re Airport, you ought to encrypt using WPA personal (it's a stronger encryption method than WEP) and you should ensure that both your base station and network have separate passwords. Switch on stealth on Airport set-up assistant - this means other people will not know whether the network is on or not. Airport security needs to be switched on (the default is off which is, frankly, poor).
nomorewindows

2005-02-10, 18:24

I got Express, with a second as a repeater, for price and portability. Easy to set up and configure. Works great for sharing a printer on my network. gjas15 is right, linksys IS a piece of crap.

I'll probably get a third for my sound system. So far, zero problems.

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
gjas15

2005-02-10, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
PowerBook firewall is fine (third party software also available). Re Airport, you ought to encrypt using WPA personal (it's a stronger encryption method than WEP) and you should ensure that both your base station and network have separate passwords. Switch on stealth on Airport set-up assistant - this means other people will not know whether the network is on or not. Airport security needs to be switched on (the default is off which is, frankly, poor).
I agree always use WPA encryption when possible and make the password very long and include capital + lowercase letters and numbers.

It may be just personal preference and courtesy, but i would never turn off ssid broadcasting (hiding your network) because if someone else has a network or other 2.4GHz device nearby they need to know your network is there to be able to configure their devices for minimal interference. So everyone can have a happy, fast, and fun internet surfing day!

Now lets all gather round the campfire and sing Kumbaya! :smokey:
gjas15

2005-02-11, 21:00

powerbook came today... with my wgt264 router i can get a decent signal just about anywhere in my house havent done too many test yet but if you have anything you want tested in terms of range and speed just let me know
trevo

2005-02-15, 06:22

Quote:
Switch on stealth on Airport set-up assistant
Hmm... Okay cool. What routers can you put in "stealth mode" i like the sound of that!
mudphud

2005-02-15, 18:57

I just got a brand new 12" powerbook and I wanted to wirelessly network my printers using an Airport Express. (my girlfriend has a PC laptop with wireless capabilities). I have an HP LaserJet 2100 for reports and stuff and a Cannon i550 for printing photos. I'm getting a Keyspan USB parallel adaptor for the LaserJet.

I wanted to know if:

1. The Laserjet with the Keyspan USB parallel adaptor will work with Airport Express.

2. Can a use a USB splitter to connect both my printers to the Airport Express?