User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iBook vs Powerbook ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook vs Powerbook ?
harrisw1

2005-02-27, 19:14

Besides chip speed and monitor size, what is the difference between the iBook and Powerbook?

Thanks
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-02-27, 19:29

Might have missed something. Here's a list:
  • Better GPU (either FX5200 or MR9700) with DVI output, option for Dual-Link DVI on certain PB models
  • 5400rpm, motion sensing HD vs. 4200rpm HD. Also stock HD's are higher capacity in the PB models.
  • BT 2.0 vs. BT 1.1
  • Scrolling Trackpad
  • Gigabit ethernet for 15"/17" models vs. 10/100 Ethernet on iBooks
  • Backlit keyboard (std. or optional) on 15"/17"
  • Firewire 800 on 15"/17"
  • PC card slot on 15"/17"
  • Optical digital out on 17"
flail

2005-02-27, 19:44

On the iBooks I saw at the Apple store I noticed that the trackpad gets dirty and looks really bad b/c it's white. I guess you could clean it but with the PB its grey so you don't have that problem.

It also doesn't look cheap.
baaron

Send a message via AIM to baaron  
2005-02-27, 19:49

The PowerBooks can be operated in "lid-closed" mode when connected to an external display.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-27, 20:01

Also, iBooks only "officially" support external video mirroring, not video spanning. That means an iBook's external display will only go to 1024*768 and copy everything on the internal screen.

I say "officially" because there is a firmware hack that will enable spanning and clamshell mode (what baaron mentioned). It is unsupported and may void your warranty; so, caveat emptor.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
porter

2005-02-27, 21:29

Is it true that the display for the Powerbook is better than the iBook?
baaron

Send a message via AIM to baaron  
2005-02-27, 22:31

Spec wise, they're exactly the same. Some people still say the PowerBook displays are superior. Go check it out for yourself. (In real life, of course.)
porter

2005-02-27, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by baaron
Spec wise, they're exactly the same. Some people still say the PowerBook displays are superior. Go check it out for yourself. (In real life, of course.)
Apple's website says the iBook is a TFT XGA monitor and the Powerbook is a TFT monitor- what's so fancy (or not fancy) about the XGA bit?
JohnnyTheA

2005-02-27, 23:30

How long do the batteries last? I want a travel notebook for watching DVDs and using Word proc or editing of Code. I would like four solid hours before I have to recharge.

John
MCQ
Veteran Member

2005-02-27, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
Apple's website says the iBook is a TFT XGA monitor and the Powerbook is a TFT monitor- what's so fancy (or not fancy) about the XGA bit?
Nothing really. XGA just specifies the resolution of the screen - 1024x768 for XGA, which is what both the iBook and PB screens are. Same thing.

JohnnTheA: iBooks typically get longer battery life IMO, closer to 4 hrs on a charge vs. 3 hrs for the PB in my experience. Your mileage may vary.
kaupena

2005-02-28, 13:32

[quote=MCQ]Nothing really. XGA just specifies the resolution of the screen - 1024x768 for XGA, which is what both the iBook and PB screens are. Same thing.

Not true, my new 15" has a native resolution of 1280x854. I know it's only marginally better, but it is higher on the newer models than it used to be.
¡Damned!

2005-02-28, 13:39

Um, no. I'm sure MCQ is talking about the 12" PB.
thegeek

2005-03-01, 02:18

The display on my wife's 12" PB 867 looks way better than the display in my old G3 800 iBook. Also her screen was perfect while the iBook had a dead pixel and was the replacement for another iBook G3 800 that was loaded with dead pixels.

Oh yeah, and the speakers are way better.
MCQ
Veteran Member

2005-03-01, 02:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Um, no. I'm sure MCQ is talking about the 12" PB.
Yep, that's what I was referring to. My post was implied at the 12" PB vs. iBook, though I can see where confusion on the 14" iBook vs. 15"/17" PB could come.

The 15"/17" have higher res screens, which are WXGA (or at least the 15" is close to it), and WXGA+ respectively.
+++

2005-03-01, 11:17

The deciding factor is the fact that the Powerbook simply looks cooler.
JayReding

2005-03-01, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnTheA
How long do the batteries last? I want a travel notebook for watching DVDs and using Word proc or editing of Code. I would like four solid hours before I have to recharge.

John
Then the iBook should do well for you. The Powerbook is faster, and comes with 512MB of memory standard (you'll want to bump the iBook to 512MB if you go that route), and it also has some enhanced features like the better hard drive and more display options.

If you want to spend the extra money, the Powerbook is a good deal. If you're on a budget, the iBook will work just as well. It's really a personal decision, either one should work, but if you have the cash, the Powerbook will likely have a little more oomph and versatility.
ldburroughs

2005-03-09, 16:00

iBook

In terms of the appearance the powerbook looks a bit too common. I've owned a silver PC laptop for years and I've grown tired of blending in with a sea of users in a classroom. In terms of price there really isn't any competition is there? You can't buy a new powerbook for less than a thousand can you? And do you really need some of the features that come standard with the powerbook that are not included with the iBook? Probably not.

When this question is being asked the important factor to consider is - who is the intended user? An average college/law/medical student? Then iBook. A graphics designer/video editor/gamer? The Powerbook. In terms of portability and style the iBook has the upper hand. All I had to do is upgrade to a superdrive and larger capacity/faster harddrive and the only real difference is the video - and the price of course. For all of this I spent about $1,100. For a basic 12" Powerbook I would be spending a few hundred dollars more for ... an upgraded video card and drab styling? That's a steep price to pay for little or no real benefit to the consumer.

It's even silly to compare the two products. They are, after all, in different product lines and at different price points for a reason, aren't they? The real question should be ... I am a "so and so type of user" with "x-dollars" to spend, what is the best option in the Mac world for me? That would be like comparing a Corolla to an Camry. Sure the Camry is nicer but it costs a heck of a lot more. The Corolla is more appropriate for a certain type of buyer. So to is the iBook appropriate for a certain type of buyer. No, not cheap, but someone possibly on a budget who wants a quality product. After all, there are other options out there ... just not in the Mac world.

So for me, the iBook is the way to go. I actually could afford a decent Powerbook but my sister-in-law has one and they just look boring to me. Nothing really fancy about a stainless steel sink is there? Same thing goes for the Powerbook in my opinion.