Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Best Steve Jobs Book?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Best Steve Jobs Book?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-03-04, 00:58

I'm wondering what everyone thinks the best book on Steve Jobs is. I have a school assignment in Literature and I have to read a biography, so I thought who better than Jobs? It doesn't have to be a biography exactly. Basically anything nonfiction of him or Apple will be fine.

BTW, if this should be moved to AppleOutsider, feel free.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-03-04, 01:54

The Second Coming of Steve Jobs is pretty good, and it's also pretty recent, meaning that it covers up until about 2000 or so, which is nice. Unfortunately, IIRC it didn't cover much of early Apple, and focused more on Steve at NeXT.
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2005-03-04, 06:53

I too enjoyed that book (Second Coming). It wasn't afraid to criticise Jobs, and painted a surprising account of Jobs' real role in the success at Pixar (minimal).
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-03-04, 15:53

Apple Confidential 2.0 is the best I've read on Apple. It doesn't focus solely on Jobs but gives an excellent flavour of early Apple and therefore on Jobs. The chapter on Woz to my mind the best.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-04, 16:02

CubeDude, there are SO many more important figures in the world that you should read about. Why waste a perfectly good opportunity to learn about people who shaped the world on a fanboi pursuit?
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-03-04, 16:29

I liked Infinite Loop, Second Coming and Apple Confidential the most personally.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-03-04, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
CubeDude, there are SO many more important figures in the world that you should read about. Why waste a perfectly good opportunity to learn about people who shaped the world on a fanboi pursuit?
I'd be interested to know who you think would be a better choice. It isn't that I really like Steve Jobs or something, I just thought that he would be an easy choice for me.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-03-05, 00:22

Jobs thought the Deutschman book (The Second Coming of Steve Jobs) was a hatchet job. I enjoyed it though ... and agree with the accounts of BlueRabbit and thequicksilver in that it at least takes you to the 2000 era and is loaded with stories of Jobs' time at NeXT and his minimal role at Pixar.

I also enjoyed the Jim Cartlon book (Apple: The Inside Story of Intrigue, Egomania and Business Blunders), although it is written with a business perspective and does not have a great deal to say about Jobs since he was absent from Apple for most of the period that this book covers. link