Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

.avi on mac?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
.avi on mac?
trevo

2005-03-11, 08:18

Im getting this message on quicktime,

"Quicktime is missing software required to display this movie file. Unfortunally, it is not available on the Quicktime server."

I would normally play .avi extension on WMP on a pc so i download WMP for mac, that doesnt seem to play it either. Are there codecs somewhere or do i need to download a new player, any suggestions?

Matt. (new mac owner)
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-03-11, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt O'Keyes
Im getting this message on quicktime,

"Quicktime is missing software required to display this movie file. Unfortunally, it is not available on the Quicktime server."

I would normally play .avi extension on WMP on a pc so i download WMP for mac, that doesnt seem to play it either. Are there codecs somewhere or do i need to download a new player, any suggestions?

Matt. (new mac owner)
VLC is your friend.
mkalus

Send a message via AIM to mkalus  
2005-03-11, 09:30

Microsoft also has a version of Windows Media Player for Mac OS X
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-11, 09:51

WMP = Windows Media Player, he already said he downloaded that.

VLC is great. It'll handle almost anything. But you can also get things to play in QuickTime by downloading DivX and 3ivX, and maybe XviD. But VLC will handle all that without downloading anything extra. The sites I listed are only if you want to play stuff through QuickTime. Even then, VLC will generally handle those files a bit better.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-03-11, 10:50

I typically would try QT, then VLC, and failing those, MPlayer OSX. QT, generally I think, has the nicest interface of the three; but QT struggles with avi's more often then VLC & MPlayer. MPlayer and VLC, for me, have equal chance at being able to play a movie. Sometimes they both work, and one will give slightly better results.
Baylor8306

2005-03-11, 11:24

i downloaded VLC and it seems to be pretty good, however, i dont like that you have to open VLC then FILE|OPEN whatever movie you want to watch so i wanted to create an applescript that i can drag a movie file onto and it will automatically open it in VLC, but one problem, ive never created an applescript before, can someone help me with that?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-11, 11:28

The easiest way is to just change the default application used to handle .avi files. Just select an .avi file and choose "Get Info" (either from the file menu, by right clicking, or hitting command-I), then look for the "Open With Application" item. Select VLC from the pop up list and then click the "Open all files of this type" button. It'll change it so all .avi files will automatically open with VLC when you double click them.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-11, 11:29

Baylor, just drag and drop the file onto the VLC icon, or alias, or dock icon - no applescript necessary!
Baylor8306

2005-03-11, 11:29

ok thanks, i actually just found out that if you drag and drop the file you want to play onto the VLC dock icon it will open it up as well
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-11, 11:30

Luca's answer was faster, but my answer was better!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-11, 11:35

Another option if you want to change the application associated with a certain file is to just right click it, choose "open with..." and select VLC. It'll open that file with VLC. If you hold down option while doing this, it'll change the associated application instead of just opening it with that application just once.
mkalus

Send a message via AIM to mkalus  
2005-03-11, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
WMP = Windows Media Player, he already said he downloaded that.
Ooops. No more typing for me on a message board before I had breakfast
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-03-11, 16:16

EDIT: Never mind, I was totally off base. Either way, searching old threads is good. Maybe a sticky? I hate to be a nazi about this, but I remember covering this exact topic (prior to it branching off to permissions) less than a month ago.

maybe even add this to the sticky above, it seems to be a pretty common question.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2005-03-11 at 16:21.
trevo

2005-03-12, 19:03

Thanks for replies guys, VLC works great!

My next problem: I have a lot of media that requires a DRM plug in, having a bit of trouble locating one. Again, is there an alternative to using WMP when the file is of course .wmv with DRM protection?

Matt.

OH!! DRM = Digital Rights Management (A License) just for anyone that didn't know.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-12, 21:36

DRMed data/codecs/etc are practically nonexistent on Mac OS X. Good luck finding anything for that...

The best chance you'll have is to convert the DRMed file to a clean format on your Windows box before moving it over to your Mac.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
trevo

2005-03-14, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
DRMed data/codecs/etc are practically nonexistent on Mac OS X. Good luck finding anything for that...

The best chance you'll have is to convert the DRMed file to a clean format on your Windows box before moving it over to your Mac.
Yeah, that's what i thought. I tried converting before bringing it over, unfortunally for me the license doesnt allow it to be changed just burned to cd. And what really "top the cake" .wmv doesnt play on a dvd player. I've still got them (sitting useless) on my mac (without their licenses my pc crashed soon after moving them to my mac).

Thanks for all the help guys,

Matt.
baaron

Send a message via AIM to baaron  
2005-03-14, 22:54

I dunno if this one was mentioned. (AC3)

http://www.insaneness.com/ <----------- (I think that's the "official" site.)

It usually helps if the audio isn't working.