Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How to Install Tiger without a DVD Reader

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to Install Tiger without a DVD Reader
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-04-29, 02:37

Yesterday I installed Tiger on my PowerMac G4. It wasn't very easy. The problem I have is that my PowerMac can't read DVD's and Tiger came on a DVD. To solve the problem I figure I could put the DVD in my wifes PowerBook, then connect her mac to mine by booting hers up in target disk mode. When I did that though I only was able to see her hard drive and not her DVD drive. Then I decided to try something else. I opened up Disk Utility on my wifes PowerBook and in the options chose to create an image of the DVD and saved it on her Hard Drive. A few minutes later I had a 2.3GB image file of the DVD. I then connected a mini ipod to the powerbook, and in disk utilities chose to format the ipod. I then told it to restore an image onto the ipod and chose the Tiger image which I had just made a few minutes earlier. This move basically turned the ipod into a Tiger boot disk. I then plugged the ipod into my Powermac and a finder window opened with the Tiger setup file. I double clicked on it and it told me I needed to reboot my mac. Once it restarted it loaded up the Tiger installation and i proceeded to install tiger on my mac.

I don't know if there is another more easier way but this is how I did it.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-04-29, 02:43

Cool idea! The official way seems to be to send the DVD and a few bucks to Apple, who in return will send you Tiger CDs. But your solution clearly beats that!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-29, 02:44

Easier and more reliable:

Quote:
Media Exchange Program

Tiger ships on a DVD, but if your Mac doesn’t have a built-in DVD-ROM player, you’ll need CD media. When you buy Mac OS X Tiger, you qualify to purchase Tiger CDs for only $9.95.
Download the order form.
By the way, you did the target disk mode thing backwards. You should have booted the PowerBook from the DVD, connected the computers, and rebooted the Power Mac in target disk mode. That way you could select the PM's drive from the installer on the PB.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-04-29, 02:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Yes, but who wants to wait a week for the stupid CDs while people here are posting away how kewl everything about Tiger is?

BTW, Brad: do you ever sleep?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-29, 02:55

No. I don't.

SpecMode
Wait what

2005-04-29, 03:41

Sleep is for people with a low caffeine tolerance.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-29, 07:43

It sucks that you have to send in the Tiger DVD to get a set of CD media. I am buying the "family pack" and I am going to install Tiger on a few different machines. It would be nice if I could have the DVD media in addition to CD media so I wouldn't have to swap like 4 disks when re-installing on newer machines...

Is it possible to "break up" the DVD image into CD-sized chunks that will work when installing?

I get the feeling I'm probably going to have to find the CD images online at some point in the future...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
usurp

2005-04-29, 08:00

oh brad man, that would have been quicker! didn't think about that.

i didnt know i could get Tiger on CDs, interesting but I am not gonna pay more for it you know.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-29, 08:07

Not only pay more, but lose the Tiger DVD in the process...
no thanks.
usurp

2005-04-29, 12:03

no way, i would have to send my tiger dvd back?? yeah right i am gonna do that. anyway sending the dvd back wouldnt work for me since i am in kuwait.

Heart

2005-05-31, 10:06

Hi - been quietly reading here for a little while, but making the dive into the forum haha

So if you used an iPod as a boot disk, would you then be able to restore it back as an iPod you could listen to music on? ie return it back to it's normal factory state?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-31, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
No. I don't.

I'm laughin' and today that's golddust.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-31, 10:27

Yes, you can just download Apple's iPod software installer and run a "restore" on the iPod. It'll erase it completely and return it to its factory-fresh state.