Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New Aluminum Apple Displays: 23" 30"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Aluminum Apple Displays: 23" 30"
Page 4 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  Next Thread Tools
MacUsers

2004-07-13, 14:31

Well he said next week at the latest but better make sure before driving that far.
Blueflame

Send a message via AIM to Blueflame  
2004-07-13, 14:59

My brother and I just bought a dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac with the 20" Aluminum Display. The display will come tomorrow, and I'd be happy to post photographs as we open the box and set it up. However, there is the problem of hosting the images as my new ISP (Adelphia) blocks http requests. If anyone can give me a workaround/place to host I'd be most grateful.

Blueflame
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-13, 15:28

E-mail the photos to me or place them into my public .Mac folder (user name is same as it is here, and e-mail is in my profile) and I'll be happy as a clam to host them on my .Mac account for you, and for everyone to see!

Please feel free...
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-07-13, 22:29

Here are some good photos:

And in the "oh my effing god hide my credit card" category:

Whoa.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-13, 22:43

I don't think I'd ever leave the house again if I had those two 30" models...

That's borderline ridiculous!
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-07-13, 22:44

Here are a few more, linked because some are too large for the page here. These are a new and old 20" display... taken from a MacRumors thread, but I don't want to use up their bandwidth so I hosted them myself.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-13, 22:45

Scates: what do you mean "borderline"? That's completely ridiculous, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool to have them. Then again, I wonder if even that souped up NVidia card would truly do a good job of driving both monitors....

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-13, 23:09

AWESOME pics, murbot. Thanks for posting! Those are exactly the kinds I've been wanting to see (real life pics of these things, as opposed to the staged, retouched-to-death Apple PR shots).

And don't anyone EVER tell me that the old-style displays "went with the G5s just fine". Like hell they did, and this pic shows that clearly. Both absolutely gorgeous displays, but with the soft curves and clear plastic accents and glossy finish, the old style displays went PERFECTLY with the G4 towers, but looked like hell sitting next to the G5. NOTHING alike.

But these new displays are quite awesome and would look great next to a G5 OR a PowerBook (ahem...). Same texture, same clean lines, same color, got the folded/bent aluminum thing going (the display stand and the G5 handles), etc.

No contest which ones belong with a G5!

(but I gotta say: that MDD G4 and old-style Cinema Display really look great together too)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-13, 23:25

Thanks for posting those shots murbot.

The new displays have been a long time coming and I gotta agree with 'scates - the old clear plastic models never went with the new G5's. They were a great match for the G4 towers - but Apple should have been ready to go with a complete "redesigned" set-up first time around I reckon.

Nevertheless, they're here now and look great! I want one. :drool:

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-07-13 at 23:27. Reason: clarity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-13, 23:30

Yeah, so odd that it took an entire year to have a proper display to pair with the G5. I guess they were ironing out design and engineering issues? Not to mention they probably still had gobs of the old-style displays in existence they had to sell off.

Still...never dreamed it would've taken them an entire year. When they didn't appear at MWSF in January, I was pretty shocked.
¡Damned!

2004-07-13, 23:56

Those new displays are friggin beautimous. Amazing how Ive's can make his own previous designs look 'dated' .

Thin bezel Apple displays. Finally. Makes my credit cards itch.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-14, 04:01

Yeah, there's a good chance I'm going to be an idiot this weekend...

Lord, give me strength to resist temptation...for I know it is best.
archanix

2004-07-14, 08:31

My credit card itch was too strong and unfortunately I had no cream or medication for it. So, I have a 20" coming my way to pair with my 12" powerbook. However, the est. ship date is 8/10. Boo to that.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-07-14, 10:14

These bastards are just too damn nice. I have a feeling I might be posting a G5 + 20" Cinema Display setup pic before too long.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-14, 10:22

I think pretty much everyone here is expecting that, m. No surprise, that statement...

A perfect stop-gap strategy, merely to hold you over until the new iMac arrives in September! I say go for it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-14, 20:48

I have a question about these displays and mirroring/spanning:

If, say, one was using a 12" PowerBook (a square-ish 1024x768) with a new 20" which is more of a widescreen orientation, and you were were doing the mirroring thing, how does that work exactly?

Does the square-ish image from the 12" PowerBook simply scale-up proportionately to fill the 20" and there is black "letterboxing" on the sides where the 20" is much wider than the PowerBook...OR, does the entire screen of the 12" fill up the 20", with the pixels horizontally "stretched" to do fill the entire screen?

Does my question make sense? Is it clear?

Secondly, about spanning:

Each device runs at it's own, native resolution, right? In my case, a 15" PowerBook and 20" Cinema Display: the PowerBook would be at 1280x854 and the 20" at 1680x1050, right? They don't try to "match" or anything goofy, do they?
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-07-14, 20:52

As for mirroring, the external monitor will not be stretched, but there will be black bars on the all sides so that it is an exact pixel for pixel mirror of the laptop screen.

As for spanning, both screens will run at their optimal resolution assuming you have a graphics card that can power them both.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-07-14, 21:12

SHIPPED!

Screed
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-14, 21:24

Nice! Let us know when it arrives.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-14, 21:48

...and thrill us all with some nice pictures too, please! The box, the packaging, all angles, the foot, the cabling, turned on, etc.

I saw at the macnn.com forums a pic of the box...it looks like the PowerBook boxes: black with a pic on the front (life size, or close to it?) and a plastic "suitcase" handle on top.

Looks pretty simple and straightforward when opened up: lying there, surrounded by some form-fitting styrofoam, with the cables and power brick in little cut-outs below it. Probably super easy to get out, set up and running (< three minutes?)

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-15, 09:55

Hey now... let's not forget calibration time.

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-15, 11:23

Some guy on MacNN got his 20" today. The real-life pics are here:

http://homepage.mac.com/waltafalla/PhotoAlbum10.html

I know what I'll be getting for X-mas.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-07-15, 11:56

Now THAT is cool. Wow.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-15, 11:57

And ijerry on .COM has posted pics as well.

http://homepage.mac.com/jerrynliz/PhotoAlbum38.html

With a 12-inch PowerBook too!

Escher
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-15, 14:11

Rrrr. This thread is erroding my ability to curtail credit card spending this summer! Those are seriously nice looking.
MacUsers

2004-07-15, 14:34

they sure are...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-15, 20:48

I just measured out the would-be dimensions of the 30" version relative to my 22" CRT. The thing frickin dwarfs the entire chassis (not just the tube) of my monitor. Honestly, given how my desk is laid out and how tall I am in my chair relative to the monitor... I'd have to get a new swivel chair just to be at the proper height to view the monitor! I'm 6'1" btw. My dekstop stands about 30" above the floor, so do the math.

What I can't decide on now, is 2x 20" vs 1 23". Honestly I would only need the dual setup to stow all my Adobe palettes when I use those apps (weekly). But it seems kind of silly to spend $1300 to stow palettes. But OTOH, it would be nice to fill that entire 20" screen with image as I'm working on it. I'm trying to get used to the idea of having keyboard-activated palettes, so I just click them shut when I'm using the stylus, etc.

Have you guys ever set up your Photoshop palettes that way? The only thing is, I like to always have my history and layers palette open because it makes me nervous not to see the steps (I like to have at least 20 or so visible at all times) as they progress / see which layer is active, linked, etc.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2004-07-15 at 20:54.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-15, 21:12

Yeah, on the Adobe stuff - Photoshop and Illustrator in particular...still learning the InDesign keys - I routinely work with all tools/palettes hidden and simply hit the letter key for the tool I want or hit the F key for the palette I'm wanting. In general, that's how I like to work. Sometimes, though, I'll have a few showing so I can monitor something.

As for the one 23" vs. two 20" dilemma (nice problem to have, bastard ), I honestly don't know what I'd do on that. I'd probably opt for the single 23", just because it's less desk space taken up and everything would be right there, in one place, and not split across two planes.

I'm really hoping to see these things, and I really hope the Apple store has a 20" connected to a 15" PowerBook so I can get a really good idea of exactly how it would all look/work in my particular scenario.

Those "real life" photos that are starting to trickle in make these displays look more gorgeous and slick than ANY of the stock Apple PR shots!

They just look bad-ass, sitting there on that curved leg, and looking all sleek and tight. While that ThinkSecret illustration nailed the actual design, it didn't do justice to the look itself (the aluminum and white, the hinge connector, the sleek, smooth skin, etc.). I think these are one of the most striking and nicest looking products to come from Apple in a good while! I put it right up there with the summer 2000 iMac DVs (Ruby, Sage, etc.) and the G4 Cube.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-07-15 at 21:18.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2004-07-15, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I think these are one of the most striking and nicest looking products to come from Apple in a good while! I put it right up there with the summer 2000 iMac DVs (Ruby, Sage, etc.) and the G4 Cube.
Not to mention the iMac G5.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-15, 22:16

Jury kinda out on that one...