Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Downgrade to Panther - how?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Downgrade to Panther - how?
mczolton
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-05-26, 19:44

I just received my brand new 15" Powerbook which shipped with Tiger pre-installed. I have a need to use Panther for professional purposes. When I tried to install Panther, the media would not boot. It comes up with a "no" sign. The media is fine as far as I can tell as it boots fine in my wife's iBook. I read on Apple's support site that you cannot downgrade newer machines that shipped with Tiger. Surely there must be a way around this.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by mczolton : 2005-05-26 at 19:54.

pv2b

2005-05-26, 20:02

I'm not sure if this advice is out of date... but here goes.

At least for Mac OS 9, it was the case, that if your computer was newer than the Mac OS install disk, it might not boot, because the right drivers aren't preloaded onto it.

So what you need to do, is to find a Panther install disk that is new enough in order for you to install it on your new Powerbook.

Afaik, there have been no hardware changes to the Powerbook line from when they started shipping with Tiger, so it should be theoretically possible to find a Panther disc compatible with your Powerbook.

You probably won't be able to do a downgrade from Tiger, you'll have to make a clean install of Panther.

Hope this helps.

mczolton

2005-05-26, 21:01

Thanks for the reply. A clean install would be fine with me. The touble is finding a Panther disc with newer drivers. The copy I have is from December 2003.

Mark

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-26, 21:03

Why do you think you need to do this?

Do you have some critical piece of software that isn't compatible with 10.4.1?

mczolton

2005-05-26, 21:07

My main concern is Groupcal (Exchange to iCal sync tool). Their current version does not work with Tiger. Not only that, their support is horrible - in fact they never respond to my emails or support tickets.

Mark

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-26, 21:18

and...

"We are currently working to resolves these issuses and will release an update once they are corrected."

So, it would seem that the developers are quite aware of this issue. It's even mentioned on the product's front page. If you wrote them about this matter, it's no surprise that they didn't respond since it's obviously their #1 most viewed KBase article.

Where's the Mac you were using Groupcal with before you got your new PowerBook? Can you not continue using it until the updated version is available?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

mczolton

2005-05-26, 21:30

You know, I don't appreciate your tone. I am well aware of the fact that the developers are working on the issue. Since you couldn't possibly know the nature of my support tickets - be they for Tiger support or something entirely different, you have absolutely no right imply that I am simply whining about a lack of support or a recent update. Their poor support is a legitimate claim considering it IS commercial software.

Your condescending attitude is not welcome and I would appreciate it if you would try to be more constructive in the future.

Mark

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-26, 21:33

Whoa, whoa. I never meant to say you were whining. Where did you see that I implied that? You didn't give much information to work by; so, I can only start with the lowest of assumptions and point to what the developers have already said in several places on the product's web site.

I did try to offer something constructive: using your old Mac. Could you simply use that in the mean time until they update the software? Yeah, it's not the best solution, but it may be your only solution.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

mczolton

2005-05-26, 21:39

My reasons for downgrading to Panther are beside the point. My question was, is it possible to do so on newer machines and if so, did anyone have any suggestions. I did not ask about Groupcal support. In fact, all I said was I wanted to downgrade for professional reasons. This is sufficient. In that respect, you did nothing to help the matter.

I'll ask you to leave it at that.

Mark

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-26, 21:55

Wow, that 'tude is going to win you a TON of friends around here, mczolton. Brad's just trying to help you look at the solution from other possible angles. No need to get pissy about it.

BTW, Brad's the most helpful member on this board. If there's any hope of someone helping you, he's your best bet. I can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure he's less likely to try to help you figure a way now. Good going....

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-26, 21:58

I'll concur what Apple's web site and pv2b said in that whenever a new computer is introduced, updates are added to the operating system for any changes in the hardware. This makes it nearly impossible to use older versions of the OS that were released before the hardware was.

The minimum system software that shipped with the January PowerBooks was 10.3.7. If you can find an installable copy of that (or 10.3.8 or 10.3.9) and Lady Luck is on your side, you may be able to get it (and your software) running on your new PowerBook.

Good luck.

holbox

2005-05-26, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Wow, that 'tude is going to win you a TON of friends around here, mczolton. Brad's just trying to help you look at the solution from other possible angles. No need to get pissy about it.

BTW, Brad's the most helpful member on this board. If there's any hope of someone helping you, he's your best bet. I can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure he's less likely to try to help you figure a way now. Good going....

Well said! What a "HOT HEAD"!

mczolton

2005-05-26, 22:28

Yeah, like I'm the one with a attitude. Helpful or not, Brad's original comment came off as condescending. Its nice to see he did have some constructive suggestion which is more than I can say for the rest of you. And here I thought the numerous other threads about AppleNova members being pricks were a joke. Guess I was wrong. I wouldn't stick around if you guys weren't so damn entertaining.

Mark

mczolton

2005-05-26, 22:40

BTW: Things like:

Quote:
..it's no surprise that they didn't respond since it's obviously their #1 most viewed KBase article.
And then spending the extra time to link to the KBase tickets - assuming that I hadn't seen it - IS condescending. In case anyone was wondering. Especially considering I wasn't asking "how do I get Groupcal to work in Tiger?"

Sorry if I disrupted your forum Brad. You did end up having some good advice. The other members didn't really need to take the time to jump on the "let's let mczolton know what kind on jerk he is" bandwagon.

Mark

Thanks for disabling my account. It was obvious I was causing too much trouble around here. If I had a smiley that was giving you all the finger, I'd be using it right now.

Last edited by mczolton : 2005-05-26 at 22:50.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-27, 00:05

Mark:

No one has disabled your account. When you change your e-mail address in your profile (and it appears that you have), a confirmation e-mail is sent to it and you have to click a link to verify that it is your real address. Your account is shifted into "awaiting e-mail confirmation" mode until you complete the procedure.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-27, 03:21

Guys let's chill a little here :smokey: . Mark - Brad's just trying to help with your problem so please try not to bite our collective and individual heads off. If you click on the email link then you'll be up and running.

pv2b

2005-05-27, 06:20

Er. I don't think I see anything wrong with mczolton's attitude up to and including his fifth post in this thread. I think he was being civil enough.

After that, I still think he's justified in being miffed at some other forum members suddenly swooping in and bashing him for telling Brad not to be condescending to him. As if Brad could Do No Wrong, and all newbies are automatically wrong whenever they critisize something somebody has said.

Brad, I'm sure you were just trying to help, and I understand and respect that, but I can see how what you said could be taken the wrong way.

All in all, all this has probably been one big misunderstanding. I just hope that mczolton finds a recent enough copy of Mac OS X 10.3 to be able to run on his new Powerbook, and hope that this singular misunderstanding isn't enough to keep you off these boards for good.

Can somebody please lock this thread now? I think all that needs to be said has been said. Mczolton has got his answer, and there's nothing left to post in this thread but more flaming.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-27, 08:00

So be it...