User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPod + iTunes Event 2005 Speculation - new iPod Special Editions?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod + iTunes Event 2005 Speculation - new iPod Special Editions?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-05-30, 22:09

First of all, I'm expecting last year's "iPod Event" to kinda be an annual thing from now on - there's enough iPods to deserve their own event. Traditionally, iPods are overhauled in the late summer or fall, so it's also possible this "iPod Event" could be held at the Paris Apple Expo...notice how it's not specifically a "Mac" -world?

I'm predicting that the iPod will gain the color screen standard across all models, and the "iPod photo" brand will dissapear. Other 5G adjustments? Maybe wireless, but I'm not sure. I don't think there will be much of a cosmetic adjustment - I just can't see the iPod going silver - like there was for the iPod 4G. Maybe, just maybe, the iPod will change to an iPod mini-style case - "rounded" at the top with the metallic back gone - but the colors would stay the same.

The iPod mini probably won't be upgraded - it seems like it'll be on an annual, Macworld update schedule. Same with the iPod shuffle...

I think iTunes 5 will be unveiled at this event, and it will feature full video capability. Whether you like it or not, making a seperate program for video playback just doesn't seem to make sense. The name will stay "iTunes," though, so don't worry - no "Apple Media Player" crap here. The video store that will hopefully accompany it will be called the "iTunes Movie Store," so again, no messy "iTheatre" nomenclanture to worry about - we'll even be able to abbreviate it the same!

And, yes, I think we'll see an iPod video.

A few months - even weeks - ago, I probably wouldn't have thought that we'd see video playback in iTunes and the iPod, but, uh, it's already beginning to be implemented into iTunes. The PSP has proven that there's consumer interest in a portable video player, and Apple has had time to perfect such a device to the point where we can call it an "iPod."

I also think we'll see an iPod camera. It will have a pretty nice (for the size) camera - no 640x480 cell-phone-camera garbage here. I think it's a great idea - it'd be a major draw to the 5G iPod line - and it would also bridge the pricing gap between the iPod and iPod video.

Speaking of prices...here's my predictions, starting with the 5G iPod (iPod shuffle and iPod mini prices remain unchanged):

iPod 30GB $299
iPod 60GB $349
iPod camera 30GB $399
iPod camera 60GB $449
iPod video 60GB $499

Finally, I'd like to bring up the issue of new iPod special editions. I can't see the U2 version being the first of it's kind. Personally, I see iPod special editions reserved for major, "adult" bands that have been around for a while (and thus, can be tied to a deal for a Complete package on iTunes) but I think we can see some iPod mini special editions for "trendier" bands, too.

I'm hoping for a Killers iPod mini! They're the first band that I really love that's probably popular enough to get a special iPod...and they're certainly popular.

Post your thoughts on what we you think we'll see at the 2005 iPod event. I know we probably won't see everything I've mentioned, but those are just my ideas...at the very least, this will get some of the iPod speculation out of the WWDC thread, right? I mean, Apple won't be announcing iPods at WWDC, that's for sure.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-05-30, 22:30

I think we'll see a lot of what you've talked about but I also think a few more improvements will be made in the design area. I would think that the iPod will get a fairly large design overhaul. It's time, and the grey clickwheel needs to go.

I do think that Bluetooth 2.0 might make an appearance for manual updates and the like, where transfer speed is not the ultimate necessity.

Color screens and video playback across the iPod and iPod mini lines.

I would think the shuffle will be updated as well, to keep it fresh and to keep it competitive with the rest of the flash world.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-15, 14:13

The iPod mini line will not play video(There is no demand for the mini to do video). that would kinda take away from the whole "move up to an iPod" way of thinking.

I see the iPod mini line to stay the same for a long while(no color, no video) till flash memory gets to 10-20GB(and be cheap enough to put in a mini) and battery life and demand for the smaller iPod to do what the bigger iPod can do.

Stop thinking too big, it's what the shuffle smack some of us dreamers down a notch.

I believe Apple learn from the Photo mistake and they won't have a seperate iPod video line. But there will be a 120GB iPod that will look different then the other iPods(16:9 screen) to take advantage of it's larger HD(perhaps QT7 HD?).

Of course that will have the same luck as the Photo line did(Maybe, who knows? Maybe people will like the idea of this, but don't expect it to be less then $400)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-15, 15:10

I think an iPod video would need to be in a different line - I doubt it'd be simply an iPod that played video. It'd be shaped entirely diffently - it'd have a much larger screen.

I think it will fare better than the iPod photo did (as long as it is priced reasonably...) because playing movies on the go on an all-new iPod is a bit more impressive than looking at photos on an iPod with a color screen for $100 more.

I agree that the iPod mini won't gain video playback with the iPod, because, as I described, I'm picturing the "iPod video" as an entirely new entry to the line. The iPod mini won't even gain color screens for a while - they're not even standard across the regular iPod line yet.

Of all my predictions, I think the "iPod camera" is the least likely. Well, it might be too soon for the iPod video, as well, but I'm positive that's coming. The iPod camera, not so much. Still, it'd be a great way for Apple to plug the hole between the normal iPod ($299-349) and the iPod video, should they introduce it ($499). I doubt I'd pay $100 just to view photos on a color iPod, but if they included a OK quality camera on the iPod? I'd drop an extra Benjamin on that in a heartbeat - it makes even more sense than cell phone cameras, in the sense that you have your photo storage device - a hard drive - right there, and you could even have it automatically sync your photos to your computer.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-15, 15:28

One more thing: I made this thread before there was talk of Apple getting 2GB and 4GB flash drives. The press seems to be assuming that those drives are going to go into an upgraded iPod shuffle, but I don't think so - quadrupling the capacity of the iPs after a mere six months on the market does not seem likely. Plus, 1,000 songs? That's a lot of songs to manage without a screen (I do think that the iPod shuffle will eventually gain a small, three-digit display above its controls, but that's a discussion for another day, as again, I don't see iPod shuffle updates happening this summer/fall.) So what could the flash drives be for? It's entirely possible that the press could be totally wrong on this - they predicted that we'd see the updated iPs at WWDC, for chrissakes - but they were right about the Intel switch...

2GB and 4GB drives seem to be about right for the long-rumored iPod phone, don't they? That'd be another way of bridging the gap between the iPod and iPod video...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-15, 15:28

I don't think there will be a camera iPod. For a decent camera to be built into it, it would have to ge a very different form factor. If you look at digital cameras, the small and thin ones have very bad image quality, simply because the lens needs some space. This is especially true for zoom lenses. So unless they think that people will be okay with a mediocre quality camera (which they won't), they can't build that into something that looks like an iPod.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-15, 15:32

I think a 2 MP camera would be OK (that kills most US cell phone cameras), and some upcoming cell phones have 2 MP cameras. (In Japan, they have what - 5 MP cell phone cameras?) I know there's more to quality than megapixels, obviously, but an iPod camera obviously wouldn't be meant to be used for professional photography.
JayReding

2005-06-15, 16:06

Apple has said repeatedly that there will not be an iPod Video, and given the economics and feasibility of it, the chances of that changing are slim to none.

iTunes 4.9 is near release, and there's no way that iTunes 5.0 would come out just after 4.9. iTunes 5.0 is awaiting the legal issues surrounding expanding video through the iTunes Media Store.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-15, 16:19

Yeah, Apple's portable video player(if it exist, and the itablet pictures says is true, then yes) might not be called be called an iPod, but that can change anyday with product promotion.

Back to an camera iPod..after the failure of a real camera company try at a iPod camera, I don't think Apple will try.

And the shuffle will NEVER gain a screen. If anything the iPod mini will have a 4gb flash drive(which would explain why Apple kept the 4GB mini instead of replacing it with a bigger drive) make the 8GB(10GB?) iPod mini and then moves up the iPod shuffle to 1GB(99) and 2GB(149).

1GB Shuffle(flash)
2GB Shuffle(flash)
4GB mini(flash)
8 or 10GB mini(HD)
30GB iPod(HD)
60GB iPod(HD)

RIP 20GB iPod monochrome.

Random item: The 80GB hard drive is out there..But too big for the iPod shape(4Gen).

It fits Apple's iPod pattern ovre the last year or so.

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-06-15 at 16:22.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-15, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayReding
Apple has said repeatedly that there will not be an iPod Video, and given the economics and feasibility of it, the chances of that changing are slim to none.

iTunes 4.9 is near release, and there's no way that iTunes 5.0 would come out just after 4.9. iTunes 5.0 is awaiting the legal issues surrounding expanding video through the iTunes Media Store.
Can I quote you on saying that there will never, ever be an iPod video? Ever? Pretty please?

I think it's pretty much inevitable...the only question is when. I admitted that 2005 is probably too soon for an iPod video. I know I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the workings of the iPod and iTunes. But I don't think the iPods will stay audio-only forever. I am positive that we'll see an iPod video sometime in the future. Positive.

And you can quote me on that.
MexSwitcher

2005-06-16, 01:13

The bluetooth integration could be used to transfer photos from cellphones, and sync them back into the computer or even make some special connection with the ROKR phone!!! Im not very informed with that, but it would be cool to have the ipod automatically pausing when the phone rings or routing the call through the headphones
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 01:27

Routing the call through the headphones wouldn't work very well, unless they started shipping headphones with built-in microphones.
MexSwitcher

2005-06-16, 11:15

I guess you would talk to the phone like a walkie-talkie while hearing through the headphones
macgeek2004

2005-06-16, 13:52

I just ordered the iPod Photo 40GB with all accesories, for $374 with free shipping. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

The main reason I bought it was, because it still had all the accesories with it, not any of this new trash where they give you the ipod and nothing else.
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2005-06-18, 10:14

iPod wishlist...
-Color screens across
-BLUETOOTH! It would be amazing if you could transfer songs wirelessly and hook up to car stereo
-More iPod Mini Colors
-Touch controls (NO MORE MOVING PARTS I HATE THE 4G's)
-Colored iPods (not only the minis)
-1.6 Tb Harddrive... just kidding
-Optional firewire 800 cords
not sure wat else
I dont really care about a iPod video because I wont be buying it.

Last edited by Meltedbutter421 : 2005-06-18 at 10:15.
kuliand2

2005-06-18, 10:57

i hope apple hurry up and make a phone, i dont think the ipod will hold it's market share forever im not saying it's doomed but growth will die down certainly as it does in all new markets. so apple need something new that people will buy if they made a decent phone with 2gb of memory for $200 i would buy one so would most of the poeple that have baught ipods.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-18, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltedbutter421
iPod wishlist...
-Color screens across
Across the iPod line? That's a given. Across the iPod mini line? Probably not.
-BLUETOOTH! It would be amazing if you could transfer songs wirelessly and hook up to car stereo
BlueTooth would be too slow to transfer entire libraries and the such, but it might be a nice option for those seeking to just move a few songs to the iPod. Car stereo hookups would definitely be nice, as would BlueTooth headphones - I could see this being one of the big iPod 5G upgrades.
-More iPod Mini Colors
Like I said, I'm not so sure that the iPod minis will be updated now, but if they are, I'd like new colors, as well. They actually removed a color at the last upgrade, which was kinda...weird.
-Touch controls (NO MORE MOVING PARTS I HATE THE 4G's)
I like the Click Wheel...
-Colored iPods (not only the minis)
I think the iPods should retain their iconic white color, but maybe the Click Wheel could come in colors or something. That, and I'm hoping for more iPod Special Editions (The Killers...please?).
-1.6 Tb Harddrive... just kidding
I'm not.
-Optional firewire 800 cords
I don't know anyone who really gripes about Firewire 400 or USB2 being too slow for regular iPoding, but Firewire 800 would definitely be a nice option for the 5G iPod - especially for all the people that want to transfer their existing libraries to a new iPod. I could definitely see Firewire 800 in the 5G iPod, provided it didn't cost too much to add.
not sure wat else
Psst...you want an iPod camera. You really do.
I dont really care about a iPod video because I wont be buying it.
I will.
*adds gibberish to make message long enough askjgaasgjoag*
ua2005

2005-06-24, 17:55

AppleInsider reports that Apple has planned a special event for July 7 and new iPods are likely. I wonder if we will see any special edition iPods or maybe the 5th gen. iPods. Something to look forward to.
altoids

2005-06-24, 18:55

I posted this on another thread... When syncing your iPod with video content in your playlist (i.e. Billy Corgans TheFutureEmbrace) you get a pop-up message that reads "This" iPod does not support video. This may be a solid hint that indeed future versions of the iPod will support QuickTime files for video playback.

Last edited by altoids : 2005-06-24 at 19:03.
altoids

2005-06-24, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Can I quote you on saying that there will never, ever be an iPod video? Ever? Pretty please?

I think it's pretty much inevitable...the only question is when. I admitted that 2005 is probably too soon for an iPod video. I know I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the workings of the iPod and iTunes. But I don't think the iPods will stay audio-only forever. I am positive that we'll see an iPod video sometime in the future. Positive.

And you can quote me on that.
With PSP supporting video playback, it is not a stretch to speculate that an iPod with video playback is imminent. Just look at how much emphasis was placed on QuickTime 7's scalability and the new H.264 compression. Also, see my reply about iTunes behavior when syncing a Library with video content.

Last edited by altoids : 2005-06-24 at 19:02.
sstensla

2005-06-24, 19:36

There are a few basic needs that ipods need to address before we begin talking about video pods...baby steps!

1. bluetooth capability
2. seemless car audio integration (may require accessory parts to be installed) this would be apple's biggest money maker. i would invest a couple hundred to get an ipod that can play high quality audio in a car, though a stereo that i can safely toggle in heavy traffic, and without the loss of portability. i know a few car companies have addressed this, and hard wiring is an option, but its far from perfect or accessible to everyone. the idea is, i want the same ease of use and versitility in an ipod that we get with our computers.
3. an ipod that can withstand the "elements" inside a hot car
4. fm capability

whats the point of ipod phones, color screens, video ipods, etc if you can't truely perfect the original ipod?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-06-24, 22:24

About the only thing that would make me run out and buy a new iPod immediately would be one with AM capability. No other major MP3 player has one, only FM. I figure if I'm gonna listen to music, I should use my high quality music from the iPod. But you can't exactly listen to live news or talk radio on your iPod.

All the excitement in radio is happening on AM. I only listen to AM radio. I wish Apple would add it.

But its not gonna happen.
sstensla

2005-06-24, 22:45

another good idea: how about an ipod sport

a fashionable ipod made out of more durable materials...
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-06-25, 02:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstensla
another good idea: how about an ipod sport

a fashionable ipod made out of more durable materials...
Interesting idea... I'd like to see an iPod with a similar design as the PB G3. Those were pretty durable, yet still managed to look really cool. The Pismo came out pretty thin and light too, IIRC.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-25, 17:36

Well that(ipod Sport) would be a merger between the iPod shuffle and the mini.

One thing I believe ill be a major point at this iPod even will be iTunes mobile.
JHarty

2005-06-28, 23:55

There has been talk of an iTunes capable phone by motorola. Thus, explaining the recent drop in price of the Motorola Razr. Here are some links to the rumored iTunes capable phone

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1156

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu....005-06-25#4214
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-29, 10:43

July 7th is looking to be this year iTunes Event 2005.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-29, 22:15

Quote:
T3 swears that they have word from a trustworthy insider that Apple is about to pop out new 2Gb and 4GB versions of the iPod shuffle. Oh, and they’re pretty sure that Apple is getting ready to bump the iPod mini up to 8GB, too (which makes sense, since Hitachi does have an 8GB Microdrive). They don’t say how soon the new iPods will be announced, or whether the new shuffles and new minis will all get announced at the same time.
Engadget

So July 7? August? January? We shall see..
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-06-30, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
Engadget

So July 7? August? January? We shall see..
I don't see a place in the market for a 4 GB shuffle. I think it would be too expensive, plus that much music would be really hard to manage without a screen (and if you put a screen on the shuffle, it has to get bigger and it just turns into a piss ant iPod mini.

I've been calling for the 8GB mini for a while, but I'd also like to see color screens on the mini. I don't know how much more the color screens cost, but I'd venture to say that the cost might even be offset by being able to buy the color screens in larger quantities if you put them in every unit, not just in half of them.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-06-30, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
I don't know how much more the color screens cost, but I'd venture to say that the cost might even be offset by being able to buy the color screens in larger quantities if you put them in every unit, not just in half of them.
The iPod minis do have a smaller screen though. I'm not sure how the screen industry works, but that might mean that Apple would have to pay more to have two different kinds of iPod screen manufactured. I hope this isn't the case.