AppleNovaCon v2

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNovaCon v2
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2005-06-01, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
one thing i take from this: we should have more AppleNovaCons, get the community together for some random 'lets drink ourselves silly' event, or maybe some kind of charity.
You know, I totally thought the same thing. Maybe once or twice a year we could have 'worldwide' 'Cons at multiple locations, so's we could meet in the flesh a few of our virtual brethren. I'd be down for Chicago or Detroit. Hell, even Toronto.

So it goes.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-06-01, 14:04

Maybe we should start a serious thread and do it a major locations.

NY, Toronto, Philly, Baltimore, Boston, Atlanta...most of those I'd be willing to try and attend. Maybe a few in the mid part of the country.
rageous

Send a message via AIM to rageous Send a message via MSN to rageous  
2005-06-01, 14:07

Chicago and Detroit work for me too. Plus if we get some WiFi, laptops and iSights goin, we could scope out each other's parties.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-01, 14:09

Damn, I wish I lived closer to some of you guys.

We need to set up a Western Canada leg of the tour.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-06-01, 14:31

Ya murbot, we definitely need a western canada leg of the tour. That would be sweet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-01, 14:34

Ohmigosh, is this just not the coolest picture ever?!?

Sigh...

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Maybe we should start a serious thread and do it a major locations.

NY, Toronto, Philly, Baltimore, Boston, Atlanta...most of those I'd be willing to try and attend. Maybe a few in the mid part of the country.
I'll offer up my town of Kansas City as a central location. I'd be happy to help organize.

edit: sorry alc. perhaps we can pull some of those posts out of here and start a new thread with them?

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs

Last edited by sunrain : 2005-06-01 at 14:43.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-06-01, 14:53

Let's try again. This is a request for all (most, some, or maybe just one) AppleNova members (new, old, unregistered, lurkers, passers by...) to get together. At the gathering we'll shoot the shit, talk shop, eat some chips and drink each other under the table (for the drinkers among us). We're very scattered across the states, country, the continent and the globe, so we have to keep that in mind.

I suggest we organize in the following manner: people join the thread with suggestions of cities (where they live, or relatively near metro area). we don't have to choose one city/locale, b/c these will be simultaneous (well, within a day or so, cuz of timezones). Theres no requirement to have a large gathering of people. If only a few people live nearby, have a relatively small gathering. When we pick some city, within each city we can pick a bar/restaurant/store/street to meet at. From there the fun begins.

At the gathering, some efforts should be made to have some kind of link back to this community. Like a webcam, or connect to an irc/aim chatroom. Pictures of the event (camera phones, digi cams, camcorders, ...) should be produced and put into some community page (maybe just in this thread).

The idea here is to have a bunch of people from AN come together to meet the flesh bits behind the net identity. Foster the community. Put a face to a name. All that jazz.

I suggest manhattan for one locale; others have suggested Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Baltimore, Atlanta, Toronto. We need to pick some dates that are good for us too. I suggest the weekend of the 24th of June, in this year of our Lord, 2005. ANCs dont have to be on the same date and time, but we might try to keep them pretty close.

Please feel free to come up with your own ideas for AppleNovaCon. This is just what i was thinking.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-01, 14:57

I'll move those threads over here...

EDIT: Whoops, I'm new at the merge thing. I was going to try and have thuh Freak's post up top.

Anyway, continue gentlemen. Let's get a few parties happening.

I'd like to see lots of toasts to Jack made in person this year.
xionja

2005-06-01, 15:10

We could organize into major regions, people from Canada could cross the border for some northern cities. From the various locations I remember large amounts of people living near, NY, Atlanta/Other SouthEast city, Somewhere in california, and somewhere in the midwest, should hopefully cover most members.

I'd make my way to NY city, or up into east canada, and this summer even somewhere south.

Lets make this work
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 15:11

I'm all for shooting the shit, drinking and getting to know each other at whatever we end up deciding on doing for an AppleNovaCon. I'd like to offer that maybe we enlarge the purpose to include something like an annual fundraiser at each local Con where we could contribute annually in Jack's name to the Georgia Aquarium. I think it'd be a nice way to keep Jack in our hearts and minds.

How we fundraise is up for grabs. Perhaps each AN member could solicit for and sell items on ebay during the month previous to our ANCon and then pool all the money as one large contribution. I'm open to suggestions. Do folks think this is a good idea?

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-01, 15:13

I will move to Charlotte, NC, in August. I'd be very interested in a meeting in NC - and since I have seen a bunch of people from that state here, perhaps we can make that happen. I also think that we should have pictures of all the parties on AN, with the names (nicks) of the people in the pictures - so you can put a face on the name
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-01, 15:26

I am in philly as I write...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-01, 15:30

I know that ThunderPoit, LudwigVan, alcimedes, and I are all in Minnesota. If you guys can wait until sometime after July 8th, I'll be 21. Of course, I think ThunderPoit is also under 21. Not sure about LudwigVan. But maybe we can organize something.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-01, 15:50

I'm within an afternoon's drive of NYC, Buffalo, Philly, or Boston.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-01, 15:53

NYC works for me.

.....or a little nearer to home, Berlin, Paris, London, Vienna? ....any mileage (kilometer-age) in a European gathering too?

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-06-01 at 16:54.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 15:56

I'm in Seattle now, but depending on how the college app thing works out, I could end up in Chicago come September.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-01, 15:56

Man, those are all looking like long drives from Southern Alberta.

Hmmmm.

thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-06-01, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
I'd like to offer that maybe we enlarge the purpose to include something like an annual fundraiser at each local Con where we could contribute annually in Jack's name to the Georgia Aquarium. I think it'd be a nice way to keep Jack in our hearts and minds.
not a bad idea. after i posted the thread i thought "aw crap. i forgot to mention charity." we'll have to think out some ideas. maybe one person per location is a designated collector, and attendees are encouraged (but not required) to throw some cash at the collector. the collector then spends the money on booze, i mean.. donates the money. maybe a permanent paypal account can be setup for this.

also, we dont have to make this about booze. i happen to have no social interaction whatsoever with anyone without liquids and smokes, so i dont have any better ideas (and i love hyperbole). but this doesn't have to be some drinking event if we dont want it to be. it feels dirty to tie this memorial to alcohol.

Last edited by thuh Freak : 2005-06-01 at 16:02. Reason: forgot to finish a sentence
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-06-01, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
also, we dont have to make this about booze. i happen to have no social interaction whatsoever with anyone without liquids and smokes, so i dont have any better ideas (and i love hyperbole). but this doesn't have to be some drinking event if we dont want it to be. it feels dirty to tie this memorial to alcohol.
Also, some of us can't legally drink yet (and won't be able to for several years). I'd hate for this to end with the cops.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 16:03

There are a few of us (Brad, torifile, me) in the Triangle in NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Central to DC and Charlotte at least.

Oh come on, don't you rate a party by the number of squad cars that show up??

"Man, that was a four car... stellar!"
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-06-01, 16:04

Anybody up for Memphis (I'm only 2 hours away from there)?
Am I really the only AN member in Arkansas? Damn!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-06-01, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Oh come on, don't you rate a party by the number of squad cars that show up??

"Man, that was a four car... stellar!"
Now that would make for an interesting webcast...
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-01, 16:18

Guys, get real. Jack would cry if he found out we didn't revolve every party around booze, and you know it.

LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I know that ThunderPoit, LudwigVan, alcimedes, and I are all in Minnesota. If you guys can wait until sometime after July 8th, I'll be 21. Of course, I think ThunderPoit is also under 21. Not sure about LudwigVan. But maybe we can organize something.
I'm a bit older than 21, so I'm safe on that part.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-06-01, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Guys, get real. Jack would cry if he found out we didn't revolve every party around booze, and you know it.

i thought, in his honor, we'd make it more about the professional inibrients. :smokey:
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-06-01, 17:37

I'll post yet another vote for Chicago. A second locale in the midwest that could be fun for food and spirits: Milwaukee. Minneapolis is also within driving distance for me and not a bad place it seemed to me the last time I was there. (maybe we should generate a multiple poll so we can see actual numbers?)

Also would be more than willing to do a Canadian trip to Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto or Montreal. I'd need time to get a passport and extra spending money as the next two months pretty much every one of my pay-checks will go straight to paying one type of bill or another.

But I've always wanted to go to those places so if it happened to be later in the summer I could probably manage it. Maybe Mur knows where we can find some out of work Flames Girls who might be willing to do a special dance in Jack's honor. It's the least they could do (the girls) if you ask me.

...into the light of a dark black night.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-01, 17:58

I think RTP should definitely be on the list of a NovaCon. Kick mentioned me and Brad, but there's also BuonRotto I believe and I'm sure a couple of others I'm forgetting. With ghoti moving to Charlotte in a couple months, that's 5 at least. I nominate the Federal in Durham (it has wireless) and it's a pretty cool bar as far as RTP bars go. And a Guinness and/or some whiskey would definitely be appropriate for Jack.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-06-01, 18:08

Any other UK's willing to soften that stiff upper lip and come meet some "almost" strangers face to face?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-01, 18:43

So I will be in Charleston, SC in July (14-21)...