User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

slow speed and Bittorrent

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
slow speed and Bittorrent
designerguy

2005-06-06, 14:28

anyone get a reasonable download speed w/bit torrent?

i did the port forwarding and Trigger ports and it's faster but not seeing anything above 50. It has a range from 10-60.

Thanks!
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-06, 14:37

Go into Terminal and enter this:

Code:
karmaAdjust -stolen +enjoyment +cheapskate /

Seriously though, the speed of your torrents can depend on many things. You might want to try some other torrent programs and see if your downloads improve. I use Azureus and have had good results.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-06-06, 14:40

what program are you using?

Some have you enter your WAN IP address and that gets a healthy speed boost.

EDIT: Darn this internet is slow... Must be bittorrent hogging my bandwidth.
I use Bits on wheels, Azureuz, and the official client. Bits on wheels is the fastest for me, but Azureus has the most extra features.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2005-06-06 at 14:46.
CobaltFire

Send a message via AIM to CobaltFire  
2005-06-06, 15:22

I use Azereus, and find that it is the fastest client for my uses. If you already have your ports forwarded, that should be good. One big issue is if there are very many people in the swarm: with few people, speeds will be lower. Take a look, I know that when I dl uncommon files, it is REALLY slow. For example, I dl'd an anime called Kogepan, and it took 4 days for the same amount of data to dl as Ah My Goddess took 5 hours to do.

15.4" PowerBook G4 1.25GHz/512MB (Radeon 9600/64MB)
Keep our troops overseas in your hearts and minds - it means more to them than you can imagine.
I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not.
Yochanan

2005-06-07, 08:14

I get variable speeds using Bits On Wheels (the best on any platform), Tomato, and the Official Client. The highest I've gotten is around 80-100. I suppose it depends on the number and quality of the seeders. Sometimes I've gotten just trash speeds (.1) and I don't know why. Also sometimes I'm listed as "unconnectable" on a torrent listing, it's an odd thing.
designerguy

2005-06-08, 08:25

finally got it running properly. I think?

I averrage about 50-80 download. I'm using Azereus and has the handy set up wizard that tells you if your set up is good. Fixed the settings on my router, fixed my trigger port settings and it's not bad now. Still not seeing the 100+ speeds that people are talking about. But I just have it DL all day long. Right now i'm gettting full seasons of TV shows. haha Pretty crazy how long a GB file can take.

Thanks for the advice!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-08, 08:44

By its very nature, BitTorrent can offer widely varying speeds. The speed you get basically depends on one simple ratio:

(#_people_sharing * average_upload_speed) / #_people_downloading

Most people with residential broadband services have terrible upload speeds. Typically the maximum upload speed is 1/10 of the download speed. So, you need a whole lot of people to be sharing a file in order for you to get a good download speed. When you account for "leechers" who disconnect as soon as a download is complete, you start to see why the speeds start to suffer.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.