AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Who, here, is a mountain biker?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Who, here, is a mountain biker?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-12, 14:37

I need to buy a bike and am thinking of opting for a mountain bike. In China there are bikes everywhere and although it is pretty safe with bike lanes and rails to separate you from traffic, I'd prefer to ride around the mountains instead of the crowded bike lanes with all the smog from the traffic.

So ... I'm in the process of piecing together a mountain bike with a view to taking it back with me to Melbourne in three years time. I'm willing to spend something like Au$1500 on it. Helmet, shoes, bike gear etc - not included.

I've been doing some heavy surfing and research and the choices are mind boggling. Rather than sign up for a mountain bike forum, though, I thought I'd ask my fellow AN'ers for their recommendations and advice about all things mountain bike.

Have at it.
TIA.
Mac+
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2005-06-13, 00:10

We go a couple times a week here in Colorado. Right now I have a cheap Iron Horse bike. Prices have really come down on some solid bikes. The bike that I'm riding now was only $450 US. My recommendations are to get a bike with at least Deore components (they are all metal), hard tail (unless you are going to be going over some fairly large rocks), and something with disc brakes.

I'll leave it to others to recommend a good frame brand. I didn't see much difference between the major manufacturers when I was looking for a bike last spring. I love disc brakes, and figure if they can stop a car going 100 mph, they ought to do well for me on a bike.

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-13, 00:35

Hi Mr B. - thanks for replying.

The selection of frames is not too extensive over here so I am piecing it together around a GIANT xtc-team frame, which is a hard tail. Do you know of this model? I have heard of GIANT before and they seem to have a big presence in China so that's why I am going with them. I am open to other brands if anybody has any suggestions - presuming I can locate such an item, of course.

As for disc brakes, I tried the bike store's saleperson's bike with discs and was amazed by them - so discs are on the list. Only thing is, I'm not too familiar with the workings of the hydraulic vs mechanical versions. The store says that Hayes make good hydraulic disc brakes, or I could go for the Avid ball bearing 7 model which is mechanical and a little cheaper.

As for Shimano gear, I want to spec it with some Deore XT stuff.

I also like the crank brothers crank and egg beater pedals, but these could be an indulgence that blow my budget, so they may not make it onto the final design.

Thanks again for chiming in.

One more thing - do you have any recommendations for front forks, or things to be aware of when choosing a particular model?
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2005-06-13, 09:03

Mac+

Giant is pretty big over here in the US as well. It's a good solid brand, and I'm sure it'll serve you well. The brands I see the most of are Giant, Trek, and Schwinn.

Deore XT: This bike is sounding pretty sweet.

As for the brakes, I think even mechanical disc brakes are pretty good. I've been able to lock up my wheels while going pretty fast on pavement. It really didn't take a lot of pressure either. (It kind of got me in trouble as I just about lost control in front of a large van. ) I have hayes mechanical brakes, and they have been great. Another cool feature of the discs are you don't have to fuss with the brakes when you take your front wheel off the bike. Rim brakes you have to disconnect, and then reconnect when you put the wheel back on. Not a biggie, but nice none the less.

I've never tried the egg beaters so I couldn't comment on those, but I love having clipless pedals. I would think for the price of your bike you should have SPD pedals included, which aren't too shabby.

I think in the price range you are looking, all the shocks should be decent. Depending on how much you weigh, and how aggressive you think you'll be, you can look at getting stiffer springs in the shock. Maybe go a little stiffer than you think at first. My current fork is a Manitou Sport Six. I was bottoming it out a couple months after I got it, and even after I installed a stiffer spring I've bottomed it out. ( I weight 170).

Whatever you get, make sure and post some pictures!

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-06-13, 20:08

I have a Giant Rainier from about 3 years ago. It has great Marzocchi shocks in the front and Avid mechanical disc brakes, which is almost unheard of for a bike under $1000 (at least, it was at the time). I must admit I haven't been riding that much since moving to Kansas City (yes, Kansas is as flat as you were told). Anyway, I highly recommend the bike. I got it for about $650.

Quick edit: Can I say this? Go to www.mtbr.com for good reviews.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-06-13, 22:43

Yes, you dont really need hydro brakes unless you are doing more on the downhill/freeride side of things. Otherwise mechanical disks, particularly Avid, are very good and will do the job nicely.

As for shifting, Shimano is a good way to go. Deore XT is a good middle of the line to choose. I would suggest SRAM stuff over Shimano though. The X7 / X9 are far superior to the Deore line.

I found with my hardtail the Shimano Deore derailler took quite a beating. The problem is that it constantly hits your frame when you hit a large enough bump making a clank clank noise. It will take a while for it to finally kick the bucket but it will shorten the life of the derailler, I can say that for certain.

Other companies I would suggest besides Giant are Specialized, Brodie, Devinci, Norco and Santa Cruz.

And like ezkcdude said, mtbr.com is a good place to look for info.
SledgeHammer

2005-06-13, 23:10

It kind of makes me sad. 8 or so years ago, I could have been a useful participant in this thread. Now, it's been so long since I've done any serious riding or paid any attention to this topic that I have nothing to contribute. Oh well, I just got my old Trek 830 tuned up, and I'm looking to get in shape this summer. Hopefully doing so will also get me back into all the goodness that is mountain biking.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-13, 23:51

Thanks for the replies everyone.

ezkcdude - thanks for the link. I have actually been checking out components and prices from http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ as a first port of call and then googling each item that took my interest. But mbtr helps too.

oad - I think I will go with the Avid discs - hydraulics are probably overkill for me. You say that the SRAM stuff is better than Deore ... does that hold for Deore XT as well? Also, I noticed that SRAM, AVID and ROCK SHOX area all owend by the same company. Is there any benefit to equipping the bike with those three brands, or am I better off mix and matching?

Sledgie - I'm only just getting into it now and I'm well past my teenage/20 "go get 'em" years! I feel out of my depth with all the bike tech but am really looking forward to putting this bike together and then getting riding. It is an excellent way to keep fit!

Anybody got any advice on the following:
  • forks - Skareb Comp or Rock Shox Pilot SL are two that I am trying to decide between - but any other recommendations, I'll happily take on board.
  • cranks & pedals - I like crankbrothers ... what other brands are worth checking out?
  • handle bars etc - Easton is stock on the normal GIANT XTC bikes, what are the alternatives?
  • seat etc - no idea here ... I seem to remember that all saddles felt hard after an hour or so of riding, so I don't think it's worth kidding myself by getting a soft comfortable one - may as well be rigid and light. Any voice of experience to tell me otherwise or is that a fair summation on my part?

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-06-14 at 04:54. Reason: typo
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-06-14, 00:14

Mac+, Deore XT is a step up from the Deore and I would say that the SRAM X7 / X9 is still better. As for the companies being one company (which is SRAM by the way), It doesnt really matter what you do. You can mix and match parts however you want.

For me, the most important parts on the bike are the cranks, forks, and brakes. I would suggest Race Face for the cranks, Marozocchi, Manitou or Rockshox for the forks (they are all good) and Avid for the brakes.

You dont have to buy the cranks and pedals from the same company, you can mix and match there as well. Handlebar companies are all the same, so go with which ever feel the best.

Everything else is really based on what feels best to you. So I would suggest, if you can, go to a local bike shop and try things out. Thats the only way youll know whats best.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-14, 13:04

oad - Thanks for the advice about the "cranks, forks and brakes" - it helped me clarify where I could skimp on my budget.

Just checking about your X7/X9 comment. I went to the store today to do some further browsing and pricing and I looked at some SRAM twist shifters that were circular and an extension of the handgrip. Are these the ones you were talking about or were they the X7/X9 lever-type shifters? The twist shifters are very ergonomic I thought - and that appeals to me.

Also, there must have been some deal with other companies, because on the frame there is a sticker of what I presume are sponsors. No Shimano ... SRAM instead, alongside Avid, Michelin, RaceFace, Rock Shox and a few others. I can't seem to find this bike as a prebuilt kit though, so I don't know what componentry they stock it with if it does sell like this.

Anyway, I'm really getting into the research/learning phase now and choosing parts for this bike is quite a task! http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/ is a great site - better than the other one I was using, so thanks for that tip ezkcdude & oad! If anyone wants a comparative spreadsheet to help with equipping your next bike, let me know. I've cooked one up already that has "my bike", a comparable USA GIANT model and a comparable Australian GIANT release, complete with US$ to Aus$ and ¥RMB conversions, inline images and web links. Sheesh - reading back over that I really nerded out.

Mr Beardsley wanted me to post a picture when I got it. I haven't finalised the parts yet, but in the meantime I did manage to find a shot of the frame from the China GIANT website.

(It is also available in red, yellow or black.)
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-06-14, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
The twist shifters are very ergonomic I thought - and that appeals to me.
I would actually recommend not getting the switch or "grip" shifters. Those are not very reliable over time .
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-14, 15:56

Ah ... thanks ezkcdude - wouldn't they be less susceptible to damage from a fall or accidental knocks than levers that protrude though? I would have thought that this would give them more longevity over lever shifters.

Have you used them or is this popular documented info?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-06-14, 16:25

I had a roomate who was a serious mountain biker (his bike was around $2000), and that was his opinion. Like you, I had assumed the grip shifters were better, but my friend said they are just a gimick, and that they can become loose over time.

edit: As for worrying about falling on your handlebars, I think you would have to fall in very freakish way to worry about that problem. It's more about the wear over time that will be the problem.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-06-14, 19:34

Yes dont worry about wrecking your shifter, it will only break if you hit a tree the wrong way or something.

When I was talking about the SRAM stuff, I was talking about the actual derailler. not the shifter. The quality of the shifter wont come into play unless you are going for the top of the line stuff. Otherwise it really doesnt matter.

And like ezkcdude said, I would recommend staying away from the grip shifts. Also stay away from brake/shifter all-in-one designs. It will only become a headache for you down the road.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-06-14, 19:52

And since we are showing our bikes, here is my sexy bitch.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-06-14, 20:41

I'd post a pic of my bike, but it says I'm not allowed to. How do you get permission to add pics?
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-06-14, 20:52

You have to hit the post reply button. Its in there.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-06-14, 21:15

I was trying to upload the pic as an attachment. I'd upload it to my website, but I can only access that from work. Maybe, I'll do it tomorrow.

Anyway, I was looking at the specs for the current Rainier. I guess they don't have disc brakes anymore, and it's more expensive. Makes my bike look like an even better deal! Now, if I can only find the time to ride .
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-14, 23:48

ezkcdude - thanks for the clarification. I really appreciate this support - I'd be clueless otherwise.

oad - oh yeah, I remember that derailleur talk, I just thought it referred to shifters as well. Thanks for pointing me straight.

I also saw that photo of you doing a jump in the desktop thread. Nice stuff ... I remember doing stuff like that around the local development areas in my neighbourhood with my BMX more than twenty years ago. (Did I just say that ... f*ck, where has the time gone? ) Makes me keen to get back into riding and maybe even see if I can still pull these older bones through a few jumps on the odd occassion.

Anyway, your bike looks awesome! I'm sure you've spent heaps on it. Do you ride competitively? (For the record, I never did ... was just your average suburbanite after-school/every day of the holidays rider.)
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-06-15, 04:05

Mac+ -- sounds like you'll have a nice set up. I saw onlyafterdark's desktop jump picture as well (and it was nice to see a close up of OAD's fine ride). I used to do stuff like that - maybe not like THAT - 20 years ago too and no I can't believe that time flies like that... Since moving to Europe, I've switched to road riding, which I enjoy very much. I little bit less wear and tear and I have been doing some short triathlons in the summer. I do miss mountain biking, though - nothing really beats single-track cruising. I'll get back to it one day I hope. I look forward to seeing a shot of your new bike when you get it.

Cheers.

Last edited by AWR : 2005-06-15 at 04:12.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-06-15, 19:01

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics. Im really getting into the whole photography thing as of late so I thought I would start taking the camera out on rides.

To answer your question Mac+, no I dont ride competitively. Never have and probably never will. It just costs way to much to travel around BC to the different events + the cost of hotels, food and race costs. Plus I dont have full face helmet right now and I dont own any full body armor (I dont think I would ever use them).

I ride purely for the ride.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-15, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
I ride purely for the ride.
How zen is that?! I love it.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-06-15, 19:56

Thank you young grasshopper.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-06-15, 20:24

I just got back into biking again myself. Spent the last half year or so reacquainting myself with things. Was actually my BMX bike (old school S&M Holmes) that got me going, then decided I wanted to build a cruiser (Standard 125R) then I decided that my old hardtail mtn (USA made VooDoo hardtail) could use a parts upgrade. Scoured Ebay and Mtn Bike boards to get it equipped with all previous version XTR stuff. I really like the rapidfire shifters over my previous gripshifts a lot.

Here's my 2 cents on your questions so far:

Cranks & Pedals: Stick with Deore XT for your drive train and you'll be plenty happy. The new hollowtech stuff is very nice. A couple places to save money there is going with a LX Front Der and Cassette. It's your Rear Der that matters most. Would recommend an SRAM chain over Shimano. As for pedals I just recently switched from my ancient SunTour XT Comps (woohoo in the day) to a pair of Crank Bros Mallet C pedals. Basically they are a platform (I was feeling like a sissy) built around eggbeaters. I like them a lot, not too tough to get in and out, supposed to be easy on clipless newbies like myself.

Handlebars: I must be old school as I still prefer aluminium over carbon. Currently riding Ritchy Pro bars and WCS stem that I like a lot, but if I were to build a new bike I'd probably consider some Race Face Deus XC bars.

Seat: The defacto standard is still the Selle Italia Flite it seems. I recently got a Fizik Nisene though, on the cheap, that I'm trying out... seem to like it so far. Both of those can be fairly pricey but keep in mind that your seat is a major contact point, especially on a hardtail.

I highly recommend MTBR.com as well for reviews and second-hand parts. Take the reviews with a grain of salt though as some of them are riddled with people who do not have a clue. Another good mtn bike site is www.ridemonkey.com lots of good talk and stuff for sale. For new stuff you can find decent prices on quality parts at www.cambriabike.com or www.jensonusa.com.

Whomever mentioned KC... ever try the river trails in Lawrence? Really fun flowing trails and highly recommended.

Shhhh, I can't see!
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-06-15, 20:44

Oh yeah and if I were looking for a good pre-built package bike around your price range I'd probably consider a Kona Kula. The Kula Deluxe has better components but is a bit more pricey.

Shhhh, I can't see!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-06-15, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dviant
Whomever mentioned KC... ever try the river trails in Lawrence? Really fun flowing trails and highly recommended.
Thanks! I'll have to check it out. There are also some trails in Blue Springs, MO, which are decent.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-06-16, 05:24

and here is my bike

AWR
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 06:04

usurp, I like it

How's the riding in Kuwait (besides hot)? Do any Kuwaitis ride?
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-06-27, 15:59

Nice bike usurp. I bet its pretty light and nimble.

Got some more pics for those interested. They arent much but they give you the idea. Enjoy.

Last edited by onlyafterdark : 2005-06-27 at 16:01.
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-06-28, 01:47

Very nice, only.

Is that a public or private contraption that you are climbing, crossing, exiting?