Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Recommended Speakers for Powerbook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Recommended Speakers for Powerbook
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
greenhybrid

2005-07-08, 23:52

I'm looking to get some real speakers to stay at my desk when my Powerbook is in my dorm at college. I was first looking at getting some Bluetooth speakers but I haven't been able to find anything that seems quality and suitable. What are your recommendations for audio speakers? I don't blast my music and I'm just a casual listener, but I don't want a piece of junk, either. Thanks!
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2005-07-09, 09:10

I got these for my powerbook and their great (Harman Kardon)

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje....0.11.1.0.6.12

I got the JBL for my wife and they suck.

Good luck

The force is strong in this one
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-07-09, 11:14

If you want to have some Mac Nerd™ points, you could try to find a pair of AppleDesign speakers. I have two pair (one black and one beige), and even though they're old, they're not too bad.

Last edited by BlueRabbit : 2005-07-09 at 11:16.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-09, 11:25

what's your budget?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-09, 11:36

What I've had for some time now is the Creative Inspire™ T3000, an incredible find for $50 at Staples.

Great sound, power supply in subwoofer makes for smaller desk speakers, wired remote volume control (with separate subwoofer knob). Definitely not crap. Plus, the removable aluminum stands look really cool.

You ask me for a hamburger.
greenhybrid

2005-07-09, 12:04

awilso, your session timed out and your link didn't work. Could you try again or post the product name? Thanks.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-09, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhybrid
awilso, your session timed out and your link didn't work. Could you try again or post the product name? Thanks.
This is probably what he means http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...sjump=&#active
greenhybrid

2005-07-09, 12:34

Thanks.
I have money to buy any speakers I want, but don't necesarily feel like spending a fortune. Definitely less than $200. Less than $100 would be ideal but I'm not firm on that.
greenhybrid

2005-07-09, 12:43

Which JBLs did you get which were no good? I'm considering the JBL Creature IIs in White. I'd get silver but they don't make it anymore iPodLounge review is good and the comments are also positive. $99 isn't bad. Any experience with these?
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-07-09, 12:51

Quote:
Which JBLs did you get which were no good? I'm considering the JBL Creature IIs in White. I'd get silver but they don't make it anymore iPodLounge review is good and the comments are also positive. $99 isn't bad. Any experience with these?
you're paying more for form than function. with those or the Harmon Kardon's.

They sound good, it's just you pay more for the design than you would with other speakers.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-07-09, 13:16

Yeah, Soundsticks and Creatures are both overpriced. They're pretty weak sets that deliver clear sound, but they lack any kind of oomph that really gets you into it. They do look good, and they don't sound like crap, at least. But if you're going to spend $100 on a set of speakers, I'd recommend a good Logitech set. Look for the Z-2300s - they are very powerful and sound great, for about $150.
greenhybrid

2005-07-09, 13:19

What do you consider "weak?" I don't blast my music, so will I ever feel the difference? What do you suggest? I don't really like ugly speakers...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-07-09, 13:34

Weak is generally bad... it means they're only good at low volumes. Fine if you're sitting in front of your computer, but even then they're sometimes a little disappointing. You'll hear the difference with better speakers even at low volumes. Seriously, I'd go for the Z-2300s... NewEgg has them right now for $99 (after instant rebate) plus $16 shipping, which is an excellent deal.

I have a very similar system, an older Logitech Z-560. Mine is a 4.1, but with my Mac mini I can only connect two speakers at once anyway. It doesn't matter because I still have a great sounding system. Also, it's very nice to have a wired remote you can put on your desk instead of having to turn little knobs on the subwoofer.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-07-09 at 13:36.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-09, 13:36

The JBL Duet 2.0 is a very slick-looking pair. They don't blast music, but they do offer very crisp, clean sound. $49 last I checked. Most Apple stores have a demo model hooked up somewhere, so you can try them out.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-07-09, 13:39

Actually, I found another deal on NewEgg... if you want about the best-sounding system that doesn't have a sub, you can look at the Klipsch ProMedia 2.0s. They're $99 with free shipping here. They can't blast music since they don't have a sub, but Klipsch is known for making amazingly good speakers and the 2.0s are no exception. Of course, at that price I'd almost rather have Soundsticks or Creatures, because the lack of a sub (albeit a weak one) is still a pretty big problem. I'd only get 2.0 speakers if you're living in an apartment where having a subwoofer is a liability.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-09, 13:46

Bear in mind you can also use Airport Express to hook up to existing sound system wirelessly if you prefer.
greenhybrid

2005-07-09, 13:50

Franz, could you explain a bit more?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-09, 13:55

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-09, 14:03

Quote:
Franz, could you explain a bit more?
Assuming your Mac has an Airport Extreme card, you plug the Airport Express unit (4" x 3") in at the wall socket, connect it to your existing sound system (standard RCA connector etc etc) and iTunes will pump your sound wirelessly to the sound system. AE creates a wireless WiFi hotspot in your flat / dorm. I use it with a 12" PB and a Bose CD Clock radio - it is so much better than having to change CDs.

If you have a sound system you like already (which may not be portable), it allows you to use this rather than buy speakers. Worth also saying you can use it for wireless browsing.

Link kindly provided by atomicbartbeans
greenhybrid

2005-07-09, 14:07

That looks real interesting, but since I'm moving to a college dorm I'll have to buy speakers.
flail

2005-07-09, 17:46

Yeah, I'm in the same boat here, off to college in the fall, and want a nice 2.1 system that will last and I can count on for some clear output at higher volumes.

I like the look of the Logitech Z-2300 Luca mentioned and the price is right. The aluminum color is a great match for my PowerBook.

Any objections? Is Logitech coming out with any newer, better offerings soon?
Or are there any other systems for that price where I could get more performance or you guys would recommend.

Thanks!
zac

2005-07-09, 18:11

Do you guys honestly think you're gonna be blasting music in your dorm? Seriously, get a good pair of headphones.
ironlung

2005-07-09, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac
Do you guys honestly think you're gonna be blasting music in your dorm? Seriously, get a good pair of headphones.
definitely. No dorm room party is complete without a good music system...and good selection of music of course
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-07-10, 02:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac
I blasted music both years I was in the dorms and so did everyone else
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-10, 04:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
I blasted music both years I was in the dorms and so did everyone else
At the risk of sounding just a tad silly, how many are there normally to a dorm? And, assuming it's more than one, isn't it a bit hard to work ......
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-07-10, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
At the risk of sounding just a tad silly, how many are there normally to a dorm? And, assuming it's more than one, isn't it a bit hard to work ......
we had 4 people to a suite.....2 singles with a double in the middle. 250+ in the building.

The other dorms are 2-3 people in a room.

If you want to work you go to the study lounge or the library or outside in the fresh air..... or just ask the person playing music to be quiet for a couple hours. Not a big deal.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-10, 12:40

Since you've strayed off topic a little, I think it's time to ask my own question...

What are a good set of portable speakers for the iPod Mini? Must be able to run on battery. A dock connector is useful but not necessary.

I've heard good things about the JBL OnTour speakers, as well as the InMotion Mini. I like the former for its price.

Any insight?

The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-07-10, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Since you've strayed off topic a little, I think it's time to ask my own question...

What are a good set of portable speakers for the iPod Mini? Must be able to run on battery. A dock connector is useful but not necessary.

I've heard good things about the JBL OnTour speakers, as well as the InMotion Mini. I like the former for its price.

Any insight?
a boombox with line in?

I've always thought the portable iPod speakers were kinda goofy and expensive for what they are. But I guess they fullfill certain needs
sobelizzard

2005-07-10, 18:07

for what its worth, i really like my JBL Creature II's (white). Sound is crisp, and in a small environment (aka a dorm room) the sub makes them plenty powerful. And, if looks are important, they look rad

you must be insane
greenhybrid

2005-07-10, 18:14

I think I'll probably get them. They're $81 including shipping from NewEgg. Think I should go for it?