AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iBook G4 won't boot up - fan running & black screen

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook G4 won't boot up - fan running & black screen
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
gedto

2005-09-13, 14:17

Hello guys:

My 20 month old iBook G4 won't boot up. I left it in sleep mode yesterday and found it turned off this morning, though it was plugged to the charger.

I tried to start it without the battery, and it went well for five minutes, but then froze and the screen started to go brighter and brighter. I forced it turned off.

After that, it won't start up again. Whenever I push the start button it does nothing but start the fans, and they speed up quickly and start running at top speed. I hear no chime, nor hard drive activity or optical drive noise. It does nothing but start the fans full power.

Battery lights respond OK, they do not blink or anything. It is not a RAM problem, I extracted a RAM module I put in long ago (December) and replaced it with the original - still no response. What can I do?

Thank you very much.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-13, 15:09

Hold down the option key and turn it on. The ROM will boot the computer into a mode that will give you the option to choose your start-up volume. If nothing comes onto the screen, then your screen is probably dead. Then, you should pray that you got AppleCare.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
gedto

2005-09-13, 16:05

The iBook did not respond to PRAM, PMU or any other resetting, neither did it respond to any key combination. I found this thread somewhere http://www.powerbookcentral.com/clas.../t/001238.html where some guy had the exact same problem, and by letting the mac "rest" for a couple of hours without the battery, and restarting after that time, he got it to work.

I don't think it is a screen issue, as I could start it once for some minutes, and got to send an email before it froze. Do you think it is the logic board that's failing?

Thank you very much for your concern.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-13, 16:18

You should have a Hardware Test Disk with your compliment of CDs that came with the machine. Put that sucker in, hold down the option key, and boot the computer. If you can see the boot volumes, then your display is OK. Run the extended test and see what happens.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
gedto

2005-09-13, 16:24

I can't get a CD inside the slot-loading unit. The computer won't boot, I hear no chime, no startup sound, no nothing but the fan. I tried holding "option" while turning it on, but nothing happens... do you think I should insert the CD even though I hear no startup sound?

Actually I'm letting it rest for an hour or so to see if that works. Not hearing the sound is what puzzles me, thought the caps lock key lights up when pressed, and (surprisingly) the volume up key turns the Num-lock light on. ??
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-14, 00:29

You're not going to want to force a CD into the drive if the computer won't boot at all...that's not going to help you one bit. This sounds like a pretty serious hardware problem. I think your computer needs to be looked at by an Apple store or Apple service center.

Come waste your time with me
gedto

2005-09-14, 02:55

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think. I'll get it repaired... I hope the insurance I got covers the problem (it came after a small bump)...

Thanks for the help.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2005-09-14, 09:25

if you have an external monitor try hooking that up to the iBook and see if anything happens. Try the Option start, firewire mode, and other stuff like that with the external connected.

May be a long shot but it could help

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
gedto

2005-09-14, 10:03

Already tried... bad luck, won't work. The iBook does not do anything when I press the start button, apart from starting the fans at top speed. There is no startup sound, no hard-drive activity, no optical-drive typical "click"... I guess it's plain dead.

This same problem is happening all around the world lately, I just hope Apple realizes that there's also a problem with iBook G4 logic boards (especially RevA models), and that they extend their program.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-09-14, 10:51

Let us know what they say. I thought they had extended the warrenty on those models, but I could be wrong.

I've seen letting a machine just rest with everything unplugged work before on both desktops and laptops. I'd give that a try before anything else. Once the battery is out, try turning it on, that should drain any capacitors a little quicker.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-09-14, 19:34

I never heard of extending the warranty on G4 iBooks (I knew the G3 problems very well, and Apple gave me a G4 replacement).
camper2140

2005-12-31, 15:52

I had this problem last week with my iBook G4. My IT guy had me pull off my keyboard (there are two tabs at the top of the keyboard to pull down, then you can pull the keyboard up), then remove my Airport Card (or just pull it to the side), then under that, remove a metal panel (you'll need a tiny eyeglasses screwdriver), and under that remove my Memory Module. It worked! The Memory Module had a problem. (Bad RAM or something, he said.)
lb527

2006-01-01, 20:54

I had these very symptoms. It first started when all of the sudden my screen would go to pure blue, then green then red then finally black. Then I couldn't reboot--just got the black screen and fan at full blast. And it wouldn't go into Open Firware or be a target disk. Taking the battery out for 30 minutes or so would sometimes get it to boot, but after a few minutes the "full screen colors of death" would then reappear and bring the whole system down. I took out the exterior memory module and I think it booted once, but ultimately that didn't fix it. I've just returned from the Apple Store where they witnessed the death colors first hand. The tech guy said he had seen that before and you guessed it...sign of a bad logic board. Of course I didn't buy Apple Care and the machine is 3 months out of warantee. (I'd put a sad face here but that's really not going to make me feel any better.) I hope no one else winds up with this problem or if they do that it has a happier ending than mine. Will try to repost once it comes back from Apple fully diagnosed.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-01-01, 21:03

Too late for the above posters, but:

I can't stress this enough for people, but ALWAYS buy extended warranties on laptops.

ALWAYS.

Don't care who makes them.
FentonH

2006-08-23, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedto
Hello guys:

My 20 month old iBook G4 won't boot up. I left it in sleep mode yesterday and found it turned off this morning, though it was plugged to the charger.

I tried to start it without the battery, and it went well for five minutes, but then froze and the screen started to go brighter and brighter. I forced it turned off.

After that, it won't start up again. Whenever I push the start button it does nothing but start the fans, and they speed up quickly and start running at top speed. I hear no chime, nor hard drive activity or optical drive noise. It does nothing but start the fans full power.

Battery lights respond OK, they do not blink or anything. It is not a RAM problem, I extracted a RAM module I put in long ago (December) and replaced it with the original - still no response. What can I do?

Thank you very much.
Sorry to hear this. The same thing happened twice to my G4 iBook (933 MHz), and both times it meant: logic board defective.

Unless you are within warantee or have applecare, Apple is very un-sympathetic about this. I spent a half hour on the phone with Customer "Satisfaction" today, telling them that two new logic boards within 23 months is 100% unacceptable. They refused to take any pro-active action on the situation.
-FentonH
FentonH

2006-08-31, 18:29

Sell your PC? Yes.
Buy a iBook? Dubious.
Buy a user iBook? Hell, no.

The recall of G3 iBooks is past- you will be stuck with computer junk when it unexpectedly dies on you. I have a G4 iBook -two years old- and already two logic board failures. When I start looking for a new Macintosh laptop, under no circumstances will it be an iBook. The cheap, white crackable cases are another drawback.

Consider budgetting for AppleCare. If you buy it through a university, ask for "APLA " which stands for Apple Parts and Labor Agreement, i.e. AppleCare minus the telephone schnick-schnack. Consequently much cheaper. My info may, however not be absolutely current.

FentonH
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I'm getting ready to sell my PCs that I don't really use any more so that I can buy an Apple laptop. I don't need much, as I can use my mini for most things. I just want a cheap used iBook that I can taking notes, writing papers, and surfing the web. I found this one on Mac of All Trades:

12" iBook1 G3 / 600 / 20GB / Combo
2 USB / 1 FW
256MB RAM (I'm going to upgrade to 768)
$399

I just have a couple of questions on the laptop. I'm happy enough with the price (I'm struggling to find anything cheaper), but I was wondering: if I upgrade the RAM, will it run Tiger acceptably? I don't really care about Core Image and all that. Also, should I upgrade to 512 or to 768? It's almost $70 more to go up to 768, and I was wondering if it was worth it. All I really need to run on this laptop is iTunes, iCal, Camino, and TextEdit. I don't see it being a problem, but since I'm not the grizzled Mac veteran that some of you are, I thought I'd run it by you.
sparkyuiop

2006-09-03, 06:17

Hello all I have been having the same problem and I think I found the answer. I have a customers G4 ibook to repair and the fan runs at full speed and there is no chime or display.
I took the thing apart and inspected it but it looked fine. I tried removing the ram and trying all the reset combo's but nothing. I don't actually think the computer was in a position to accept commands.
I was about to give up when I plugged the keyboard in for one last shot while it was in bits and it booted. I then assumed it was either an intermittant fault or a dry joint.
I then reassembled it, booting it after I added each part and it worked untill I replaced the bottom armour protection foil.
I didn't take it apart again but when it was all together I tried putting pressure on it in different places to see what happended and hey presto!
I found that if you hold it in your left hand with your thumb next to the trackpad and your four fingers exerting pressure on the base of the laptop by means of its own weight while tilting it backwards it works every time. If you release the pressure it will die instantly.
So I assume this is indeed a dry joint, however I am yet to find it as the logic / motherboard has very tiny components on it and if it is one of those, a soldering iron would probably kill it for good.
This does seem to be quite a common fault on the G4 ibook and if I were to hazzard a guess on what causes it I'd say it was the casing. It is very flimsy plastic and if you were to continually pick it up by the way I got it to work, it could possibly cause the problem.
Anyway if anyone else try's this and it works for them please let me know. If I find the dry joint I will post a new comment to say where it is. Take care all.
sparkyuiop

2006-09-03, 12:25

Well I've been over it a thousand times with a magnifying glass and can't find the problem. I think it is in the circit track rather than a component. Oh well, nothing ventured.....
sparkyuiop

2006-09-03, 13:16

Heres another idea, I will try this tonight.
http://www.applefritter.com/node/10193
sparkyuiop

2006-09-03, 18:55

OK problem solved! But for how long I don't know.
Insert cardboard rolled as thick as you can between the bottom cover and the foil armour in the corner left of the trackpad (about 3 inches by 1.5 inches) and screw it back together!
The only other way to do it without buying a new logicboard is to apply a heat gun to the underside of the video chip but that's seriously risky.
Anyhow I hope this info has helped someone.
Take Care all.
Krientle

2006-09-07, 12:56

That's strange, I have the exact same model iBook (early 2k4 right?), and I had the same problem. Luckily I was in KC at the time visiting my girlfriend when it wouldn't wake up from sleep mode, and when I tried restarting just the fans went on. Kansas City has an Apple Store about 5 minutes away from my girlfriend's dorm, so we headed down to the Apple Store where they proceeded to remove every part they could (extra memory, wifi card, even the keyboard). Still no luck. So it was sent off for repair, right now a part is on order so I figure it's the logic board.

Good luck and I'll post what happens.

~ K

1 ghz iBook G4 w/768 MB of RAM, 30 GB HD
30 GB 5th Gen Ipod
Athlon 2000+ w/512 MB of RAM, 1x 120 GB HD, 1x 250 GB HD
thoughtful186

2007-05-16, 17:48

The same thing is happing to me right now. It's my brothers ibook, and it's just dead. He needs it for college and I know he's going to blame me. But since it happneed to you as well, maybe it's not my fault. I guess tyeh best thing to do is get it checked my apple.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2007-05-16, 17:55

We have a couple of machines at my work that do that. I've found that sometimes pulling the battery and unplugging it, then putting the battery back in will let it fire up again.

Don't know that I'd want to be writing my term papers or thesis on a machine after that though.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-05-16, 19:50

This is a design problem in the iBook G4 which Apple refuses to accept. I believe the Danes are trying to force Apple to repair or replace the machines out of warranty, but I doubt that will help those of us in the rest of the world. My own iBook G4 died from this fault after two years.

I often picked up the machine in my left hand, gripping the area to the left of the trackpad. This stresses the computer's frame, and because it's insufficiently stiff, it flexes. This, in combination with temperature cycles, causes a solder joint to weaken and eventually break, leading to the black screen/full fan situation.

Some people have been able to get their iBook to work for another few weeks by inserted flat objects inside the computer to exert constant pressure on the joint. However to simply get data off the computer you can usually get it to boot by doing this:
  • Pop out the battery and leave it to sit without power for a few minutes, as mentioned by alcimedes.
  • Apply firm (and in some cases, ridiculously firm) pressure to the centre of the smooth area to the left of the trackpad, from above and below simultaneously. One way to do this is to place a coin or coins of suitable thickness below the machine and stack books on the left side of the iBook (this renders the keyboard and trackpad unusable so you need external ones).
  • Sacrifice a chicken to Steve's ego.
  • Nobody move nothing!
Usually good enough to pull data off the hard disk without opening everything up and getting an external case.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
stephenkapple

2007-10-10, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyuiop View Post
Hello all I have been having the same problem and I think I found the answer. I have a customers G4 ibook to repair and the fan runs at full speed and there is no chime or display.
I took the thing apart and inspected it but it looked fine. I tried removing the ram and trying all the reset combo's but nothing. I don't actually think the computer was in a position to accept commands.
I was about to give up when I plugged the keyboard in for one last shot while it was in bits and it booted. I then assumed it was either an intermittant fault or a dry joint.
I then reassembled it, booting it after I added each part and it worked untill I replaced the bottom armour protection foil.
I didn't take it apart again but when it was all together I tried putting pressure on it in different places to see what happended and hey presto!
I found that if you hold it in your left hand with your thumb next to the trackpad and your four fingers exerting pressure on the base of the laptop by means of its own weight while tilting it backwards it works every time. If you release the pressure it will die instantly.
So I assume this is indeed a dry joint, however I am yet to find it as the logic / motherboard has very tiny components on it and if it is one of those, a soldering iron would probably kill it for good.
This does seem to be quite a common fault on the G4 ibook and if I were to hazzard a guess on what causes it I'd say it was the casing. It is very flimsy plastic and if you were to continually pick it up by the way I got it to work, it could possibly cause the problem.
Anyway if anyone else try's this and it works for them please let me know. If I find the dry joint I will post a new comment to say where it is. Take care all.
I have just tried this hand manoeuvre and the ibook screen comes to life. Has a longer term solution been found - I have seen some articles that refer to ibook G3 and the use of tea lights filled with alcahol or paint stripper placed on the display module and lit which after a few minutes generates enough heat to rebed the display module.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-10-10, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
This is a design problem in the iBook G4 which Apple refuses to accept. I believe the Danes are trying to force Apple to repair or replace the machines out of warranty, but I doubt that will help those of us in the rest of the world. My own iBook G4 died from this fault after two years.

(...)
That was exactly what happened to my old iBook.

I'd say your iBook is toast, gedto.

Your best course of action would probably be to check out your country's consumer protection laws to see if they might offer some leverage against Apple.
sparkyuiop

2008-04-13, 13:08

Just coming back to this after some time as it's interesting that so many of you have had this problem.
It was definatly an Apple cock up which I believe they would not admit.
It was as we all seemed to work out between us, a crappy case design stressing the graphics chip on the logicboard.
My bodge job failed after 3 weeks which I thought was good actually and then it was thrown in the bin minus any reusables. The best place for the G4 I reckon.
If anyone has read all of these posts in vain to fix theirs then I'd save yourself alot of time and trouble and sling it now if I were you.
Good thread though, I guess we all learned something - Apple need to treat their customers better!

Sparkyuiop.
inkWavesLife

2008-07-31, 18:26

omg, I love you thanks. I just fixed my iBook that has been sitting on a self for 2 years since i got my macBook Pro. and I just spent 2.5 hours ebaying for logic boards or PBg4 upgrades. None needed...sweet. and my girl thinks i killed it when I installed Leopard beta on it. damn logic boards. Thanks.

Tom
arnoldbuhmann

2008-09-24, 15:29

this worked for me ...
I needed to resolder the chip in the pics
http://www.coreyarnold.org/ibook/
tyguy23

2009-06-10, 23:02

Hey everyone... I have an iBook G4 that I've let sit dormant for a year now. Reason being it wouldn't start up. When I turn it on, it sits on the screen with the Apple logo and the spinning "thinking bars" go round and round indefinitely. If anyone can help me cure it of this aliment I'd really appreciate it.