User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Is there something out there to convert WordPress sites to static HTML?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is there something out there to convert WordPress sites to static HTML?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-27, 23:20

So I have an old blog that I'm not going to maintain at all. It's currently a self-hosted WordPress site though. Being that vulnerabilities and incompatibilities are discovered all the time I'd like to archive the site as a static site rather than dynamic with MySQL. Does anyone know of a tool that can help do this? I know there are programs that crawl the site but they miss things and don't follow links right all the time. I'm more thinking of something that is a plugin for WordPress if there is such a thing.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-27, 23:55

I think I finally found what I was looking for.

See, every time I searched the web for this topic I've been sent to really old links and plugins that are beyond obsolete. I finally searched again and found Simply Static. So far I'm really liking this though I've only done some basic testing. It seems to do exactly what I'm wanting it to do!

I'm still open for others posting their options though. I'm sure this isn't the only option out there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-28, 08:36

Last night I was looking at Site Sucker.

I'm in a hurry and mobile, else I'd search down a link.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-04-28, 10:20

FWIW, WP Super Cache is another popular plugin for this sort of purpose, assuming you would want to keep it running as WordPress and not a totally separate file tree. It tries a "best of both worlds" approach at using static files where possible and dynamically hitting the DB only when necessary (e.g. being logged in).

Quote:
The static html files will be served to the vast majority of your users, but because a user's details are displayed in the comment form after they leave a comment those requests are handled by the legacy caching engine. Static files are served to:
  1. Users who are not logged in.
  2. Users who have not left a comment on your blog.
  3. Or users who have not viewed a password protected post.
99% of your visitors will be served static html files. Those users who don't see the static files will still benefit because they will see different cached files that aren't quite as efficient but still better than uncached. This plugin will help your server cope with a front page appearance on digg.com or other social networking site.
I've been using WP Super Cache on a small installation for the last couple of years, and it's worked great. Admittedly, I don't expect I've been the target of any attackers, and I log into the admin console every month or so and apply all the available software updates.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-28, 10:39

Yeah, I use Super Cache for my live sites. In this case though I'm actually looking to ditch to WP backend completely and never update the site again. It's really just to archive it so I can look back at it if I ever want to and not have to worry about the updates and security concerns.