PDA

View Full Version : Nickleback's song formula

bborofka
2004-05-17, 03:25
Check this out...

http://www.nintendorks.com/brandon/temp/nickelbacksucks.mp3

It's 2 Nickleback songs playing at the same time ("Someday" in the left, "How You Remind Me" in the right). As you can tell, both songs are exactly the same length, tempo, key, and all the chorus', bridges, verses start/end at exactly the same time. As far as I know, the songs aren't modified on this mp3.

Ummm.... nice formula Nickleback? :( Sure tarnishes my image of these guys. Makes me wonder if they even write this stuff... it has no originality. At least they play instruments I guess :rolleyes:

The funny thing is, these 2 songs overlaid sound better than either one individually :D

-----------------

Edit: I just compared "Someday" on my computer (ripped from CD) with this mp3, and it's in a slightly lower key and slower tempo, so I guess the mp3 has been modified a bit. Still though, there's eerie similarities in the length of the 2 songs relative to their tempos, and where the verses/chorus' are in the songs.

eventhorizon
2004-05-17, 04:23
This is NICKELBACK you are talking about. They suck regardless.

Wrao
2004-05-17, 11:47
You could do this to millions of songs.

murbot
2004-05-17, 12:04
True enough. There are TONS of songs with similar tempo and timing. Most popular songs are very close in length, have the same number of choruses...

Someone has a lot of time on their hands, I guess.

:)

Akumulator
2004-05-17, 13:05
This is NICKELBACK you are talking about. They suck regardless.

Yes they do. There's just some bands and music out there, especially Top 40 whatever radio stations, that just make me want to go on some freakin' rampage. I hate it! :mad:

curiousuburb
2004-05-17, 13:19
Ghostbusters, (stolen from Huey Lewis and the News) had its Grammy revoked, IIRC. Older members might remember George Harrison losing a legal fight over My Sweet Lord.

Without even touching the issue of sampling and proper credit in the more modern era, there are numerous cases of musicians suing over the (un)originality of music. Seems to me that John Fogerty had some issues with CCR which basically amounted to an ex-band member in court against the original band when 'similar' tunes and royalties came into conflict.

Nickelback might have a case against themselves for copyright infringement.

:p

HOM
2004-05-17, 13:36
Ghostbusters, (stolen from Huey Lewis and the News) had its Grammy revoked, IIRC. Older members might remember George Harrison losing a legal fight over My Sweet Lord.

Without even touching the issue of sampling and proper credit in the more modern era, there are numerous cases of musicians suing over the (un)originality of music. Seems to me that John Fogerty had some issues with CCR which basically amounted to an ex-band member in court against the original band when 'similar' tunes and royalties came into conflict.

Nickelback might have a case against themselves for copyright infringement.

:p
Fogerty was sued by his old manager, who had the rights to all the CCR music as part of their first contract, for plagiarizing himself because his solo songs sounded too much like CCR songs. The court ruled that an artist has a right to a particular 'sound' that he/she can be identified by.

xdahcx
2005-09-15, 13:39
Wow! I know this is an old post but wake up. All bands use song formulas!

What's pathetic is not only is the audio pitch shifted, but there are actually parts cut of the song to make it the same length! Of course the two are the same length, whoever did this made them fit the same length!!!

For the record, the formula isn't the same either. There are pre-choruses that don't match. The verses were made to start at the same time...otherwise they wouldn't.

Get a clue. You could write anything 1/1000th as good as these songs.

Brad
2005-09-15, 13:46
Wow! What exactly was the reason for bringing up this nitpick? Are you a huge Nickelback fan or something? Gotta defend their honor since they're not here in person?

Well, you're absolutely right. I could write something 1/1000th as good as them; most people could probably write something much more than 1/1000th as good. :)

The Return of the 'nut
2005-09-15, 13:53
Wow! I know this is an old post but wake up. All bands use song formulas!

What's pathetic is not only is the audio pitch shifted, but there are actually parts cut of the song to make it the same length! Of course the two are the same length, whoever did this made them fit the same length!!!

For the record, the formula isn't the same either. There are pre-choruses that don't match. The verses were made to start at the same time...otherwise they wouldn't.

OMG! Ladies and gentlemen, CHAD KROEGER has joined our message board.

Let's give a warm welcome to the ugliest man on the face of the earth
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/djs/colinandedith/images/ugly/chad_205.jpg

curiousuburb
2005-09-15, 13:53
Wow! What exactly was the reason for bringing up this nitpick? Are you a huge Nickelback fan or something? Gotta defend their honor since they're not here in person?

Well, you're absolutely right. I could write something 1/1000th as good as them; most people could probably write something much more than 1/1000th as good. :)
And with Auto-Tune, you could sound better too.

FFL
2005-09-15, 14:00
Wow! Someone registered just to reply to a really old and very silly thread about a totally mediocre band!

psmith2.0
2005-09-15, 14:12
That's why this site is the best. The BEST! :lol:

Hey, I'm just appreciative of the fact that Green Day has not come up ONCE in all this! :eek:

oldmacfan
2005-09-15, 14:18
Wow! Someone registered just to reply to a really old and very silly thread about a totally mediocre band!

He was doing a Google search for the band and found us.

Results 1 - 10 of about 308,000 for Nickleback. (0.06 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,040,000 for Nickelback. (0.08 seconds)
But only if spelled correctly

Results 1 - 8 of about 34 for Nickelback applenova. (0.29 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 37 for Nickelback applenova. (1.12 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 43 for Nickleback applenova. (0.38 seconds)
But only if you spelled it wrong again.

Somewhere in the middle of 2 million + links but only if he can spell Nickelback.

Wrao
2005-09-15, 14:55
It is interesting the randomness that happens on the net sometimes. I haven't officially 'launched' my webpage yet, but it's still managed to get some hits from google. I have a bunch of my video game music sitting on it, and somehow, amidst millions and millions of more popular links, a few people have stumbled upon my humble little site while searching for various video games' songs. Thing is, when I try and recreate the searches myself, I never find my page.

xdahcx
2005-09-15, 14:55
Actually, I am a fan of Nickelback. They are talented writers for what they do, and understand what sells.

I did just register here, but not for this thread. It just happens to be the first I responded too. I plan on staying here a while, so I figure, why not start somewhere.

I found it by googling Nickelback and song formula. That this was a mac site, I thought was cool!

Anyway, I listened to the audio and thought "Here someone manipulated something by someone popular to get people to go to their site...to probably make $$ from the clicks"

What amazed me was the number of ignorant people there are about this.

I actually mistyped, I doubt anyone on here could write something 1/1000th as catchy.

You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean it sucks. So you don't like it. So what? I hear bands all the time I don't like. That doesn't mean they suck.

Who cares if they use a formula? EVERY BAND DOES!!

It find it funny that people will rip on them for doing this, but overlook the FACT that the bands they like do.

Incidently, if the two songs were unaltered you would see that they are different enough as well.

I could take 2 songs from any band and edit them the way these two were and have the same result.

'nuff said.

Who wants a beer?

The Return of the 'nut
2005-09-15, 15:01
I could take 2 songs from any band and edit them the way these two were and have the same result.

Can you please do that Chad?

xdahcx
2005-09-15, 15:11
Could and want to are two different things.

As Murbot said "someone has a lot of time on their hands". I'm not one of those people.

Look, if you like a song by a band, chances are they have a "style" they play in. Otherwise everysong would sound so different it wouldn't work.

On top of that, they typically use the same, or similar chords, or progressions.

They many times play with in the same or similar keys because of the vocalists range.

They usually follow a song structure. Like intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus. Chances are, other songs they have follow something similar.

People are funny. We like certain sounds. When we find a band we like, we want to hear songs from them that sound different from the other songs, but retain the things that makes the band sound like it does. We are at odds with ourselves. We like things that sound familiar enough to what we like, but varied enough to not get boring.

All bands are repetitious within themselves. It happens.

I just never liked it when people say a band "sucks" because it's not the sound they like.

Also, autotune can make a bad singer sing more in pitch, but it can't make your voice sound good. It wouldn't make you as good of a singer as CK is, weather you like his voice or not.

curiousuburb
2005-09-15, 15:27
-snip-

'nuff said.

Who wants a beer?

Now you see, that as a first post would have gotten you a much warmer response...

Cheers, and welcome... I'll have a pint.

xdahcx
2005-09-15, 15:41
[QUOTE]Now you see, that as a first post would have gotten you a much warmer response...

Cheers, and welcome... I'll have a pint.[QUOTE]

Very true...It probably seemed a little odd someone posting this on an older thread.

Why I feel the need to voice on this, who knows?

I don't take things all the seriously to begin with so...

Thanks for the welcome!

Batman
2005-09-15, 16:00
So what - some person out there made a not so bad mash-up of two nickelback songs (listen for it on the good 'ol Delta Sierra Charlie sometime in the comming weeks). There is no need to flip out.

DMBand0026
2005-09-15, 16:15
Actually, I am a fan of Nickelback. They are talented writers for what they do, and understand what sells.

Haha. It's cute that you think that just because a band "understands what sells" that it makes them talented. :lol:

All disagreements aside however, welcome to AppleNova. :)

SKMDC
2005-09-15, 16:42
I've never understood the castigation of bands, by fans ("oh I used to buy their stuff, but they've sold out, so fuck 'em") and otherwise, for selling records.........that's the idea right?

Wrao
2005-09-15, 17:02
I've never understood the castigation of bands, by fans ("oh I used to buy their stuff, but they've sold out, so fuck 'em") and otherwise, for selling records.........that's the idea right?

Usually the 'selling out' process is coupled with severe changes to their songs. Changes that the fanbase that supported them in the earlier days may not like because they feel almost cheated out of the band that they liked. Of course, These changes are more often than not a byproduct of label demands than actual band artistic license. Otherwise, another common byproduct to 'selling out' is that band's become pressured to release more material on a more rigid timeframe, causing their material to weaken and/or change to accommodate their new work patterns.

One thing you'll hear often "X had 10 years to make their first album and 1 year to make their second"

Incubus is a band I always think of when this topic comes up. They went from raw, energetic funk-rock where they were doing drugs, had wild hair and were very awesome. To making 'mellow' rock songs about love and such. Is the old incubus awesome? definitely Is the new one terrible? I don't think so, they still make some good tracks and they still put on a great live show. But, their sound is radically different from what it used to be, so there is bound to be a fallout as far as the fanbase is concerned.

That explains a good deal in a nutshell.

THAT SAID.

*there is nothing wrong with selling out*

The truth of it is. Nickelback are professional musicians working for a professional music label. Art and personal expression need not apply. This is not to say they cannot make good music, that's subjective and open to interpretation and ultimately an impossible statement to make. But it does mean that they are making money doing their jobs. Like it or not, that's what keeps them eating.

A Word about art in general. A lot of people think that Art and business are mutually exclusive. While there are many things that divide them, this is not necessarily the case. Ultimately, The way I look at art(I consider myself an artist thru music), it is an honest expression of myself. I make music. I make tons of it, I have over 200 'songs' recorded. They are all honest expressions of what I feel and experience, and some of them just sound good.

I'm presently working on an album. I'm happy with the tracks I've made for it so far, but they are radically different from each other, to the point where I don't believe I could successfully market the album to anyone. Will that dissuade me from doing it? no way, but I'm also not operating under strict terms established by a label.

Ultimately, if a label approached me and said "sign this 5 album contract, we're going to make you BIG!" I would say "sure, just so long as I can live comfortably out of it, I'll be your bitch" At the end of the day, even if I whored myself out to the industry, made 5 pop albums for someone else, toured the world, made music on someone else's terms. While it'd likely be very draining, I would STILL have my artistic integrity, something that no one could ever take away from me, because it is me.

Dig?

Sorry for the rant, just some stuff that's been on my mind lately. You may disagree, I dunno, that's fine if you do.

The Return of the 'nut
2005-09-15, 17:39
Usually the 'selling out' process is coupled with severe changes to their songs. Changes that the fanbase that supported them in the earlier days may not like because they feel almost cheated out of the band that they liked. Of course, These changes are more often than not a byproduct of label demands than actual band artistic license. Otherwise, another common byproduct to 'selling out' is that band's become pressured to release more material on a more rigid timeframe, causing their material to weaken and/or change to accommodate their new work patterns.

One thing you'll hear often "X had 10 years to make their first album and 1 year to make their second"

Incubus is a band I always think of when this topic comes up. They went from raw, energetic funk-rock where they were doing drugs, had wild hair and were very awesome. To making 'mellow' rock songs about love and such. Is the old incubus awesome? definitely Is the new one terrible? I don't think so, they still make some good tracks and they still put on a great live show. But, their sound is radically different from what it used to be, so there is bound to be a fallout as far as the fanbase is concerned.

That explains a good deal in a nutshell.

THAT SAID.

*there is nothing wrong with selling out*

The truth of it is. Nickelback are professional musicians working for a professional music label. Art and personal expression need not apply. This is not to say they cannot make good music, that's subjective and open to interpretation and ultimately an impossible statement to make. But it does mean that they are making money doing their jobs. Like it or not, that's what keeps them eating.

A Word about art in general. A lot of people think that Art and business are mutually exclusive. While there are many things that divide them, this is not necessarily the case. Ultimately, The way I look at art(I consider myself an artist thru music), it is an honest expression of myself. I make music. I make tons of it, I have over 200 'songs' recorded. They are all honest expressions of what I feel and experience, and some of them just sound good.

I'm presently working on an album. I'm happy with the tracks I've made for it so far, but they are radically different from each other, to the point where I don't believe I could successfully market the album to anyone. Will that dissuade me from doing it? no way, but I'm also not operating under strict terms established by a label.

Ultimately, if a label approached me and said "sign this 5 album contract, we're going to make you BIG!" I would say "sure, just so long as I can live comfortably out of it, I'll be your bitch" At the end of the day, even if I whored myself out to the industry, made 5 pop albums for someone else, toured the world, made music on someone else's terms. While it'd likely be very draining, I would STILL have my artistic integrity, something that no one could ever take away from me, because it is me.

Dig?

Sorry for the rant, just some stuff that's been on my mind lately. You may disagree, I dunno, that's fine if you do.

BLA BLA BLA....a lot of words but in the end it just comes down to the fact that Nickelback is crap :-P

Haha. It's cute that you think that just because a band "understands what sells" that it makes them talented.

cough...Stand Up...cough....Everyday....cough

xdahcx
2005-09-15, 17:40
Haha. It's cute that you think that just because a band "understands what sells" that it makes them talented. :lol:

All disagreements aside however, welcome to AppleNova. :)

Wow! You took what I said out of context and changed the meaning. Hmmm... not really a good thing to do to make your point.

Re-read it and get back to me about what I said. I'm curious how long it will take you to get it.

Thank you for the welcome! :)

SKMDC
2005-09-15, 17:44
Wrao that was my point, the minute you put a record in a shop (or on iTMS) you're trying to SELL it. Every artist tries to reach as many people as possible. That was Sting's excuse for the JagUar commercial, and it worked, consequently all major acts were seeking out that lucrative commercial tie-in.
I come from a time when that would have been particularly galling, but times have changed, it still makes me cringe, but I understand.

I will give one example of someone who sold-out. When Michael Jackson did Thriller, well, it was brilliant! Actually a great blend of creativity, craftsmanship, with commercial appeal. When he followed it up with Bad, I felt instead of being more inventive he just tried to REinvent the wheel, ignoring his artistic side, for the side that wanted to sell 100 million units.
(he had post-it notes and signs everywhere in his home and studio that said 100 Million.) It was an okay record but then he did again and again, when he actually lost his gift, I'm not sure.

you know Wrao when i listened to your track "One Mo'gin", I thought "blimey. poor wrao, he's really souled out on this one!"

:lol: cause it was kind of funky....get it? ha!

RowdyScot
2005-09-15, 23:58
Formula? Kind of like that 3 or 4 chord progression dealie that all the kiddies seem to love?