* Find songs fast with the Apple Click Wheel
* Listen longer with up to 12 hours* battery life
* Shuffle songs in the main menu
* Save multiple On-The-Go Playlists
* Adjust speed for Audiobooks
* Sync and charge via included FireWire or USB 2.0 cables
* Benefit from more language support
* $100 Price Drop ;)

This is text here because you can't do a quote and not write anything.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 07:57
I wanted this iPod because I outgrew my mini rather quickly. I will have more than enough room for my songs now. All I wonder though, is if this was the big update to the iPod line, or if it was just a placeholder to keep the competitors in check. Obviously it's a big step in the right direction (higher capacities at lower prices) but maybe the next iPod update will bear more feature fruit. haha.

Hopefully that story gets leaked, so I can unload my 4G on some poor, unsuspecting eBayer. :D

BrandonAllan
2004-07-19, 08:05
I posted this in the other thread right before it was locked.

Looks like the 20GB doesn't come with the dock, remote, or carrying case. They both now include a USB 2 cable though.

My 20GB is going in for a warranty repair. I wonder if they will send a new one. That ever happen to anyone?

2004-07-19, 08:08
Well, now we know (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jul/19ipod.html) what's up with the HPods:

“The best digital music player just got better,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The fourth generation iPod features Apple’s amazing Click Wheel for superb one handed control, 12 hour battery life and the new Shuffle Songs command in the main menu—all in an even smaller design that puts up to 10,000 songs in your pocket.”

“HP has chosen iPod and iTunes as the best products to integrate in to our digital entertainment strategy,” said Carly Fiorina, chairman and chief executive officer at HP. “We decided to wait for this amazing new fourth generation iPod, as it will offer our customers an even better experience. HP’s version of the new iPod will be available in September.”

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 08:16
I'm really surprised - and kinda irked - that, once again, the "low end" model doesn't come with all the goodies. I guess there's some sort of law in place that states "any iPod costing $299 shall not have a dock, remote and carrying case. Won't all those newbies (and upgraders) be thrilled...

:rolleyes:

Otherwise, a nice update. I like having only two models, fairly wide apart in capacity. Makes much more sense than having a 15, 20 and 40.

Would love to see the minis get 6-8GB and hit the $199 mark at some point before year's end. Then you'd have an easily designated, wide-spanning product line, separated by a nice, even $100 each and roughly doubling capacity with each $100 leap (8GB > 20 > 40...and eventually allowing for the 60GB that is sure to come, right, probably costing $499?)

I'm sure by the holiday season, some of the above will come to be (60GB iPod and either a capacity increase or price drop on the minis).

Still pissed about that 20GB not coming fully equipped...people are gonna get ticked, especially newbies and those expecting dock, remote, etc.

I suppose the new rule to live by is to believe whatever the hell ThinkSecret says, huh? ;) They're freakishly on target with most all their reports and info...

porter
2004-07-19, 08:19
I posted this in the other thread right before it was locked.

Looks like the 20GB doesn't come with the dock, remote, or carrying case. They both now include a USB 2 cable though.

Well I don't care much for the dock (still using my 1G iPod) and I already have a case for it.

I like the new look- wasn't really a big fan of the last generation iPod with those 4 buttons on it.

I guess once my iPod dies out I'll get this.

MacUsers
2004-07-19, 08:23
I rarely use the dock with my 3G iPod but it's still kind of cool but the remote and case (It think) are totally unnecessary, I got a different case so I could actually use it while in the case and the remote, well... I just never used it... too many cables, maybe.

Luca
2004-07-19, 08:27
The remote and case are not listed as being included with either one. The 40 GB apparently includes a dock (which you can't buy separately, yet; the one available in the store is for 3G iPods only), but it doesn't say whether it includes a case or a remote. I don't much care though - I wouldn't buy the 40 GB, and the case and remote are both useless items anyway.

EmC
2004-07-19, 08:29
WOOT!! (http://www.luser.info/Web/ipod.jpg)

Why does Apple keep releasing things that I just have to get. I wish they would just stop updating crap. :lol:

MacUsers
2004-07-19, 08:32
The remote and case are not listed as being included with either one. The 40 GB apparently includes a dock (which you can't buy separately, yet; the one available in the store is for 3G iPods only), but it doesn't say whether it includes a case or a remote. I don't much care though - I wouldn't buy the 40 GB, and the case and remote are both useless items anyway.

The specs list a remote coming with the 40GB though.

HOM
2004-07-19, 08:38
The specs list a remote coming with the 40GB though.
Yup. The 20 GB comes naked except for the cables and AC adapter. The 40 GB comes with the remote, the case, and the dock.

Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 08:39

Luca, go here (http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html).

On the row where it says "included accessories" (and under the 40GB iPod header), you'll notice:

Earbud headphones, dock, remote, carrying case, AC adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable, 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter

As for whether or not something is "useless", that's quite a subjective, YMMV thing, isn't it? I can imagine lots of people liking a nice little belt-clip pouch to put the iPod in while they're jogging or on the treadmill (and no, not having to go drop $29 or more for some third-party solution). And the remote? I don't use one, but I could see where many would. "Useless" to YOU, not the entire planet.

;)

IMO, the iPod should be the ONE thing that comes, out of the box, with all the accessories, across the board. You've got lots of non=Mac people and newcomers to digital music buying these things. What a shitty impression it must give for them to open their cool new 20GB and realize "hmm, I have to go drop another $100+ to get the same stuff that comes with the 40GB...why didn't I just buy the damn 40GB?"

There should be no gap or open holes in this product. If there were, say, four models to choose from, yeah...maybe the low-end one could be sold without the goodies. But if you buy an iPod - especially now, now that there are only two models - you get the whole deal. No one is felt lacking or screwed. $299 is plenty to pay to expect a full complement of doo-dads.

Good sense and good karma.

:)

MacUsers
2004-07-19, 08:44
Actually the 40 gig might not be coming with the case and remote... this is weird.

Edit: Nope doesn't come with it, just called them up and they said you need to purchase them separately if you wanted them.

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 08:51
:lol: Well they can ALL go to hell then. :p They need to fix their website.

Actually, if neither come with it, then that bothers me less, I guess. Make it standard, across the board, either way: either both come with the stuff, or neither. That way everyone's on equal ground from the get-go, and no sore feelings.

I can live with that (the 40GB not coming with them either). People can just buy what they need, I suppose.

The need to clarify all this better on their site. People ordering 40GB models, based on the tech spec page, are expecting those things.

Gonna be a big stink raised in about 3-5 days when these things start arriving to people...

:err:

onlyafterdark
2004-07-19, 08:54
Thats weird, maybe they just forgot to take the remote and the case out on the hardware page. Oh well, I have my iPod ordered. :D

torifile
2004-07-19, 08:56
I read through the terms for the "Cram and Jam" rebate and it seems that this iPod is eligible too! That's cool. Now I need to decide if I want to upgrade my pbook or not...

HOM
2004-07-19, 08:57
The 40 GB comes with the dock at a minimum. Quoth Apple's PR Juggernaut:

Pricing & Availability
The new 20GB and 40GB iPods are available immediately for a suggested retail price of just $299 (US) for the 20GB iPod and $399 (US) for the 40GB iPod through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Both iPods include earbud headphones, 1.2m 30-pin to FireWire cable, a 1.2m 30-pin to USB cable, and a CD with iTunes 4.6 for Mac and Windows computers. The 40GB model also includes an iPod dock.

Moogs
2004-07-19, 09:01
Screw the accessories, if they want to really impress newcomers, they should package every new iPod with a certificate for 1 free album from iTMS. The minis should get a certificate for say 3 free songs. That would really be a cool gesture on Apple's part and earn a lot of good will.

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 09:06
That guy who always seems to be pissed at Apple (no, not Dvorak)...the one who had the Cube cracks and whatnot (know who I'm talking about). HE'D be one to file some class-action thing upon receiving his 40GB without the promised goodies.

:D

Remember, it's America, 2004. We're a perpetually medicated, sue-happy gaggle of hand-wringing malcontents and petty little pisspots.

Not all of us, of course...

;)

MacUsers
2004-07-19, 09:07
It's just interesting how they "reduced" the prices...

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 09:09
Screw the accessories, if they want to really impress newcomers, they should package every new iPod with a certificate for 1 free album from iTMS. The minis should get a certificate for say 3 free songs. That would really be a cool gesture on Apple's part and earn a lot of good will.

Hey, now that's a good idea. That would be quite awesome. Give people a free one, get 'em hooked!

;)

Would that lead to a population of track whores?

"Hey baby...I'll do whatever you want for .99. Come on, I'm hurtin, baby...".

MacUsers
2004-07-19, 09:11
:lol:

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 09:21
The 40 GB comes with the dock at a minimum. Quoth Apple's PR Juggernaut:

This is slightly dissapointing to say the least. I was all ready to pull the trigger on a 40 gig because in my eyes it was a better deal. Being $100 more expensive but including ~$90 worth of included accessories that the low model didn't have. Maybe I'll call and beg later before I order mine. Either way, by the end of the day I'll be an iPod owner :)

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 09:43
Update:

Well, it sure didn't take long for me to crack.

My 20gig ships in 1-2 business days :D

Luca
2004-07-19, 09:47
Man... this is hard for me too! My iPod works often enough that I don't really NEED to replace it... but on the other hand the click wheel is calling me and singing the praises of its sturdy headphone jack that will never break.

Thing is, I might want to upgrade to the new style even if I CAN fix my current one. It's sexay. It would drop me another $300 or so, which is not a good thing considering I'll be living on my own soon...

Then again... my paycheck comes in two days so that won't make a huge difference... and I know I won't buy one once I actually move in to my new place... argh the decisions!

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 09:54
The ability to delay or set aside instant gratification is the sign of a mature, well-adjusted individual who has their priorities set straight.

Or a motherf***er who ain't got no money.

Either one.

Luca
2004-07-19, 09:57
The ability to delay or set aside instant gratification is the sign of a mature, well-adjusted individual who has their priorities set straight.

Or a motherf***er who ain't got no money.

Either one.

The problem is that I DO have money, but I really shouldn't be spending it. But I do have it.

And come on, don't tell me you're not tempted by these. Are you going to not buy one purely because you want to show off how "mature" and "well-adjusted" you are? Or maybe you'll show off how "already owns a working iPod" you are. :p

dviant
2004-07-19, 09:59
I like the scrollwheel ala Mini... but too bad they didn't backlight them like 3G buttons are. Oh well, cheaper is better I guess.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-19, 10:02
The backlight would have been cool but it really isnt needed. The click wheel should be pretty intuitive.

Luca
2004-07-19, 10:02
Actually, the buttons on the scrollwheel do light up.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-19, 10:04
Drool. That is gunna be so sweet. I can see the look on peoples faces now. (We need a drool emoticon)

Moogs
2004-07-19, 10:09
Hey, now that's a good idea. That would be quite awesome. Give people a free one, get 'em hooked!

Would that lead to a population of track whores?

"Hey baby...I'll do whatever you want for .99. Come on, I'm hurtin, baby...".

:lol:

Can't you just picture Dave Chappelle doing his crack addict routine with that? "Cummown baby... I suck yo di--!"

onlyafterdark
2004-07-19, 10:12
:lol: That would be awsome. :lol:

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 10:23
And come on, don't tell me you're not tempted by these. Are you going to not buy one purely because you want to show off how "mature" and "well-adjusted" you are? Or maybe you'll show off how "already owns a working iPod" you are. :p

Nope, not really. If my 15GB was bulging at the breaking point and I had more CDs and downloads I still wanted to add, sure...I'd order one today and dig it endlessly. Or if my 15GB was acting up and on the fritz, sure...I would've already ordered the 20GB two hours ago!

But I've got less than 10GB of music (with all my CDs converted), I don't use my iPod every day, I've got other things I could - and prefer to - spend money on right now, etc.

So no, actually...I'm really not "tempted" by these at all.

I do think the click-wheel is a better navigation design, but it's nothing I need or will go out of my way to get. I think they're great and I think it's awesome for anyone who's waited for an iPod or who needs to upgrade. A great new design, good prices, etc.

But I'm not much of a gadget freak or new gear monkey, so I don't buy things I don't need, just because they're new and the "next thing". That's the crux of the matter. Just ain't my bag.

:)

I can easily wait until my 15GB craps out, OR I suddenly go on a wild-ass music-buying binge and find myself blowing past that 15GB ceiling. Then I'd get one.

The "mature" and "well-adjusted" line was just a set-up to the other part of that post. I'm neither mature or well-adjusted, trust me. That has NOTHING to do with anything.

;)

thegelding
2004-07-19, 10:42
put me in the group that has the cradle, the belt clip and the remote with his 3g iPod...i don't use the belt clip (freezing up about 20 minutes into a run with the belt clip...bought a madison side pouch thingy and no more freezing, even if i run like a spaz), the remote is somewhere in my trunk (used once...too long of cords with it), but i like the cradle...yes not necessary, but it is nicer than having the iPod laying flat when you are charging and updating and such....

now the question is iPod mini or 20 gig 4g iPod.....

or neither (i don't "need" another iPod), but is that really an option??

g

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 10:51
When do we see that new commercial? :confused:

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 11:14
snip

Hey, I'm mature and well adjusted. I don't have an iPod yet. :p

;)

I knew these suckers would be out before long, so I waited and pulled the trigger this morning, and I know it's gonna be worth every last hard earned penny. :D

Moogs
2004-07-19, 11:21
Have fun cruisin the Lakeshore with your new iPod, home-slice! I hear chics dig 'em.

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 11:47
Have fun cruisin the Lakeshore with your new iPod, home-slice! I hear chics dig 'em.

I've already got it all planned out. Chicks and all ;)

You should see me right now, all smiles this morning :D

I'm finally getting an iPod!!!

thegelding
2004-07-19, 11:49
wrong thread

old tired brain at work

g

drewprops
2004-07-19, 12:53
Wow. This may be the one that cracks my wallet open a tinch.

jph1971
2004-07-19, 13:34
Actually, the buttons on the scrollwheel do light up.

Where's this from?
There was a fake pic yesterday on the MacRumors forums but I didn't see any 'real' on the updated Apple site (on the other hand I didn't look too hard for it).
Any link?

jph

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 14:46
I think the photo that is being referred to here is the fake one that showed up last night. However, I don't doubt the buttons will light up...at least I hope they will, it would only make sense.

Quagmire
2004-07-19, 16:29
In my opinion it was smart of apple to drop all aceesories that came with the 40 GB(except the dock). We all probably the low end will end up the same spec list as the old one. If apple had left the accessories with the 40 GB ipod, when you added all the stuff that came with the 40 GB to the 20 GB, the price would have been more expensive then the 40 GB.

thegelding
2004-07-19, 17:30
4 weeks wait for the iPod mini
1-2 bus. days for the new click wheel iPod

guess i know which one to get if you want one fast

still thinking of the mini for my birthday in sept...guess i should order one in a couple of weeks if i want to get it by mid sept

g

InactionMan
2004-07-19, 17:50
Gack! $429 Canadian for the 20 GB. It looks like Apple has decided not to swallow the cost of the Piratey Levy and has passed it on to the customer. Conversion is 399 exactly, the levy is 25 bucks. Well, $319 for the Mini with edu discount, $389 for the 4G iPod. Decisions. Decisions.

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 18:17
4 weeks wait for the iPod mini
1-2 bus. days for the new click wheel iPod

guess i know which one to get if you want one fast

still thinking of the mini for my birthday in sept...guess i should order one in a couple of weeks if i want to get it by mid sept

g

I'm seriously starting to doubt the iPod mini even exists. I think they just mocked up some photos on the website, and anyone "claiming" to have one is full of shit and in on the joke.

;)

Seriously, we're coming on up on EIGHT MONTHS...what the hell?!?

:no:

HOM
2004-07-19, 18:27

I'm seriously starting to doubt the iPod mini even exists. I think they just mocked up some photos on the website, and anyone "claiming" to have one is full of shit and in on the joke.

;)

Seriously, we're coming on up on EIGHT MONTHS...what the hell?!?

:no:
Ah, come to NYC. Here the few iPod mini owners have no shame in their promotion of that fact. If a person has a mini it is proudly displayed on their belt or arm in a way of saying, "Yes, I do have a mini. I have the status symbol of all status symbols."

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 18:28
Liar. They don't exist and you know it. ;) :p

thegelding
2004-07-19, 18:50
i saw a woman riding on the bike path with one about 3 weeks ago...haven't seen her since...i knew at the time that i should jump her and take her iPod mini...but i didn't because it was a pink one....now i regret that...sigh, hopefully i'll see her again...got my taser all ready

g

must remember to add smileys when joking

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 18:57
I've only seen one. At a swim meet I was at one of the simmers had a silver one. You should have seen the people flock to her just to check it out. It was pretty amazing the buzz that one little iPod mini generated.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-19, 19:41
I havent seen any. :no:

torifile
2004-07-19, 20:49
I saw a green mini on a bulky weight lifter at the gym back in May. Since then, I've seen neither hide nor hair of them in the wild.

Is there any confirmation that these iPods are eligible for the cram and jam rebate? I looked at the forms and there was no mention of eligible models, just the ineligible ones (all the iPod minis). I'm seriously thinking of getting myself a new 15" powerbook and iPod for graduation.... Someone stop me. Please.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 20:57
This just in: I've converted 3 of my friends (yes, I do have friends) to the Macintosh, all because of the iPod. Ryan is getting an iBook and a 40 GB iPod with the Cram and Jam Promo. Dominic bought an eMac and will add a 20 GB iPod shortly. Matt bought a 15'' PowerBook and will get a 20 GB iPod as soon as he gets his next paycheck.

3 of my friends, 3 Macs, 3 iPods. :)

haldrogen bomb
2004-07-19, 21:18
This just in: I've converted 3 of my friends (yes, I do have friends) to the Macintosh, all because of the iPod.

Heh... I'm sitting here in front of a brand new G5 I bought last week, and a new 20" Cinema Display that arrived today, and it's all because of the iPod I bought last August. I had been a diehard PC user for all my life until I opened that little cube package and saw the words, "Designed by Apple in California." When I unfolded the Rubik's Cube of a box and got at the iPod within, I was hooked. It took a year, but I think Jobs' little scheme of lring consumers in with the 'pod and hooking them on the Mac worked.. unfortunately for my wallet!

oly
2004-07-19, 23:13
New features as listed above, blah blah blah...

Missing Features:
* Case
* Remote
* Backlit Buttons!!! (someone tell me otherwise)

is this really the update we've all been waiting for?

thedustin
2004-07-19, 23:31
is this really the update we've all been waiting for?

The battery life and screen are great. I thought something else like built-in FM transmitter, WiFi or video out were for sure this time around. Guess not. I'm not buying. I'm fine w/ my original iPod...for now.

_thedustin

Messiahtosh
2004-07-20, 08:34
The current iPod revision is very weak, technologically. However, the revision is a very methodical one, as it will encroach even further on the sales of other competitor's players. Apple has yet another winner on its hands because it has delivered a good capacity, at a good price, with a great design.

Maybe the 60 GB iPod will come with more of the tech features some of us have been waiting for, and then it will migrate down to the rest of the line as time goes on. Price is the biggest concern when talking about adding new features.

EmC
2004-07-20, 09:53
Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 07/19/2004. Transit time will depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive within 10 days of shipment.

Product # Product Description Qty Ext Price

__________________________________________________ ______________________

M9282LL/A IPOD 20G W/CLICK WHEEL-USA 1 269.00

__________________________________________________ _______________________

SHIPPINGC OVERNIGHT SHIPPING CHARGE 1 15.00

__________________________________________________ ______________________Any time now folks. http://forums.applenova.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

DMBand0026
2004-07-20, 12:02
Any time now folks. http://forums.applenova.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Why did yours ship and mine didn't?

Not sure how I feel about this ;)

I just want my iPod!

onlyafterdark
2004-07-20, 12:15
Mine hasnt shipped yet either and I ordered mine right when the store came back up. Come on Apple, send it out today. I dont know if I can last much longer.

EmC
2004-07-20, 16:48
Mine hasnt shipped yet either and I ordered mine right when the store came back up. Come on Apple, send it out today. I dont know if I can last much longer.I wouldn't worry, even though it says shipped and I have a tracking number, FedEx still has not scanned it into the system and it is 5:30pm. However, my apple care package that wasn't supposed to ship for 5-7 bus days has already arived.

FedEx lost my iPod.http://forums.applenova.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

ThunderPoit
2004-07-20, 17:07
wouldnt suprise me, the dropped my QS 867 off at a neighbors house 1 block down the road. no signature, no nothing. my neighbor called me when she got home from work, thankfully. she knew me cuz she works at the bank

Messiahtosh
2004-07-20, 17:35
I'm the lucky bastard, since I'm on campus at Penn State and my Dad works at the Old Main administration building, I just pop in there on my way back from class on friday. I'll get my iPod then head to the dorm, hook it up, and rock.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-20, 18:18
Here are some nice pics for all to enjoy.

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,2394,l=&s=1489&a=131820,00.asp

EmC
2004-07-20, 23:20
Whew, looks like someone at fedex got off thier ass and found my iPod.

Jul 20, 2004 6:55 am Left FedEx Ramp* SACRAMENTO CA
Apple Care package left later than that and I got it before noon. Come on iPod get here.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-20, 23:55
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/7/0,1311,sz=1&i=76393,00.jpg That is some crazy ass engineering, wow! I can't believe how close in size the new iPod is to the mini, makes the mini not so mini anymore, except for the storage capacity. ;)

Mac+
2004-07-21, 01:01
It's not too far off from the mini size ... and the 1st gen looks totally brick-like, by comparison! :wow:

Luca
2004-07-21, 01:27
Look at the 3G iPod they show there though... it's obviously comparing either the 30 GB or 40 GB 3G iPod to the 20 GB 4G. I can definitely tell by looking at the size of the dock connector and how much room there is to either side that it's thicker than the 10 GB 3G I owned a while back. Don't know about the 1/2G that is pictured... as I recall, the 2G 10 GB was the thinnest of the old models, and the 2G 20 GB was the thickest.

That's way more than a millimeter.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-21, 07:39
In any case, Mac+ is right, the new iPod is not much thicker (if at all) than the iPod mini. :wow:

DMBand0026
2004-07-21, 09:09
In any case, Mac+ is right, the new iPod is not much thicker (if at all) than the iPod mini. :wow:

.07 inches to be exact. Hardly a noticeable difference, unless you're really looking that is.

EmC
2004-07-21, 10:50
I got and went to school this morning(one class today fitness) hoping that when I could get home to catch the delivery. I missed it, thankfully my sleep until noon little brother was up early enough to sign for it. I got a very pleasant suprise when I walked in. Here (http://www.luser.info/iPod/iPod.htm) are the pictures of the unveiling. Enjoy. :) :) :)

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The backlight is a more bluish color than the 3g and unfortunately the menu options on the click wheel do NOT light up. Sorry.

MacUsers
2004-07-21, 11:10
Cool :)

sunrain
2004-07-21, 11:39
I got and went to school this morning(one class today fitness) hoping that when I could get home to catch the delivery. I missed it, thankfully my sleep until noon little brother was up early enough to sign for it. I got a very pleasant suprise when I walked in. Here (http://www.luser.info/iPod/iPod.htm) are the pictures of the unveiling. Enjoy. :) :) :)

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The backlight is a more bluish color than the 3g and unfortunately the menu options on the click wheel do NOT light up. Sorry.

Thanks for the pictures. Could you post some comparison images from the side? I'd like to see how much this baby has slimmed down.

psmith2.0
2004-07-21, 11:48
I like the colorful new box design.

EmC
2004-07-21, 12:05
Thanks for the pictures. Could you post some comparison images from the side? I'd like to see how much this baby has slimmed down.

Done.

I think the pics in the posts above are much better for what you are looking for. It is more dramatic between the 2G and the 4G.

Unfortunately my skills as a photographer are only a little better than M$' skills at writing an OS. Sorry for the REALLY crappy pictures. :lol:

Link (http://www.luser.info/iPod/iPod.htm)

onlyafterdark
2004-07-21, 13:27
Thanks a lot EmC for the pics. The comparison between the 3G and the 4G are a little more like what I expected them to be. Hopefully my iPod will show up this week.

sunrain
2004-07-21, 17:07
Done.

I think the pics in the posts above are much better for what you are looking for. It is more dramatic between the 2G and the 4G.

Unfortunately my skills as a photographer are only a little better than M$' skills at writing an OS. Sorry for the REALLY crappy pictures. :lol:

Link (http://www.luser.info/iPod/iPod.htm)

Thanks. I have a 3G, so I was curious as to the difference in thickness. Not as dramatic as I thought.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-22, 10:44
Well my new 40gig has been delayed until the 26. :( Wonder what the holdup is. :confused:

DMBand0026
2004-07-22, 16:29
Well my new 40gig has been delayed until the 26. :( Wonder what the holdup is. :confused:

I got the 20 gig, and apparently no one has seen it since sometime on the 20th, cause FedEx seems to not know where it is...unless it really still is sitting on a truck somewhere in Sacramento. Tracking says it "departed" but I'm having trouble believing that after departing 2 days ago it hasn't come any closer to Chicago.

Oh well, I'll keep waiting patiently. But it sucks :(

Quagmire
2004-07-22, 16:58
Well my local apple store just got them in today and I rushed to get one. In my opinion the grey click wheel looks better then the white touch wheel. I still got mine in the box. It is a 20 GB ipod and they didn't have the new docks yet. :( Looks like I will be ordering the dock online.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-22, 18:35
My Applecare for the iPod shipped today but the actual iPod hasnt yet. Oh well, at least I know Apple didnt forget about me. Ill just have to tough it out for a little longer. I mean, hell, I have been holding out since December whats a few extra days.

EmC
2004-07-22, 18:48
Ok, I have been using my 4G non-stop for about a day and a half. The guys at Apple have really outdone themselves. It's hard to believe that you could improve on something as great as the iPod, but then they go and add the click wheel.

My biggest peeve with the 3G was that I had turn the hold button on to put it in my pocket, not very condusive to changing the volume or skipping through a song. Or at least not if you want to keep it in your pocket. The click wheel lets me leave the hold off. I can even skip/pause with it still in my pocket without even putting my hand in my pocket. Just reach down and click through my khakis (I keep it in my cargo pockets).

I'll agree with undertaker in saying that the grey wheel looks much better. When looking at the iPod it is almost like an optical illusion, with the click wheel appearing the be slightly in front of of the rest of the iPod. It's kinda' like when you are looking at one of those magic eye posters and the hiddin image appears to be slightly in front of the garbled mess(nothing about the iPod is a garbled mess though).

Damn I really wish the buttons on the click wheel lit up. White not orange or the same blue-ish tint of the screen or maybe user selected colors. Well, I guess they have to leave something for the 5G.

[Daydreaming at Work]
NEW Fifth generation iPod, 5TB of storage, integrated iTrip, and user programable backlight and click wheel colors.
[/Daydreaming at Work]

psmith2.0
2004-07-22, 19:05
Wait a minute...those little navigaitional symbols on the wheel (the pause/play/back/forward symbols) DO NOT illuminate???

:confused:

MacUsers
2004-07-22, 19:27
Wait a minute...those little navigaitional symbols on the wheel (the pause/play/back/forward symbols) DO NOT illuminate???

:confused:

That's correct

Unbeliever
2004-07-22, 19:30
nope
that pic at spymac was fake ;)

EmC
2004-07-22, 19:32
--Answered--

InactionMan
2004-07-22, 19:39
No illuminating click wheel makes me sad. And makes me want to get the mini instead. Speaking of which, the international launch is this Saturday is FutureShop in Toronto is advertising that they have a whopping 1500 iPod Minis for available in Toronto. And there are a hell of a lot of FutureShops in Toronto. I'm guessing it'll be a feeding frenzy come Saturday morning. Crud.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-22, 19:41
No illuminating click wheel makes me sad. And makes me want to get the mini instead. Speaking of which, the international launch is this Saturday is FutureShop in Toronto is advertising that they have a whopping 1500 iPod Minis for available in Toronto. And there are a hell of a lot of FutureShops in Toronto. I'm guessing it'll be a feeding frenzy come Saturday morning. Crud.Spoken like a true Mac user.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-22, 19:48
I just got an email that explains Apple is sorry for delaying my iPod because of overwhelming demand, blah, blah, blah. Makes me wonder how they ship products out. I ordered mine at 630am PST, you would think it would be among the first to go. Oh well, maybe its Apple Canada's fault.

(Wow, I think this iPod stuff is making me a little crazy, I need to get some fresh air.) :devil:

DMBand0026
2004-07-23, 00:12
I have no indication of a delay from Apple. No e mail, nothing :(

I wonder if mine is delayed or what? According to tracking it hasn't left Sacramento. And it's been there since it shipped on Tuesday (it's now Friday).

onlyafterdark
2004-07-23, 00:32
Ya something is not right.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-23, 00:35
My status has not been updated at all either, stil says on or before 7/22/04. :err:

Eugene
2004-07-23, 00:38
If anybody wants to buy a 4G iPod, it's easiest just to go down to the Apple Store/Fry's/CompUSA/Best Buy. All of these stores have plenty in my area. No reason to order from the online store if you don't have to.

DMBand0026
2004-07-23, 01:05
If anybody wants to buy a 4G iPod, it's easiest just to go down to the Apple Store/Fry's/CompUSA/Best Buy. All of these stores have plenty in my area. No reason to order from the online store if you don't have to.

For some of us, it's already too late ;)

And I get an education discount for being a college student, so the online store makes the most sense for me.

Sounds like I'm in better shape than some here...I got the e mail from Apple saying it had shipped, but that was 3 days ago. And FedEx tracking says it hasn't left Sacramento yet.

kcmac
2004-07-23, 09:34
I received two emails from Apple yesterday.

The first said they couldn't meet the 7/22 time but would be shipping 24 hours after that. The second said my shipment date had been revised to on or before 7/28.

This morning I received another email from Apple. My order has shipped!

I ordered ground shipping but my tracking is via Fed Ex. Maybe it will continue that way to my house. Fun is on the way. :)

DMBand0026
2004-07-23, 10:15
I still have no e mail from Apple, nothing from FedEx, nothing from anyone. I think it's lost :(

I hope it gets here today though, that would be sweet :D

Quagmire
2004-07-23, 15:57
For the people looking to buy one I would second the nearest apple/best buy. compusa store. The only thing I would reccomend getting the new dock(for 20 GB only) online. My local apple store said sometime mid August for them to arrive.

FFL
2004-07-23, 16:21
For some of us, it's already too late ;)

And I get an education discount for being a college student, so the online store makes the most sense for me.

For future reference, you can get your student discounts on hardware purchases at an Apple Store, if you have your Drivers Lic. or other photo ID, and your Student ID (or other proof of studenthood like a class schedule).

DMBand0026
2004-07-23, 17:17
For future reference, you can get your student discounts on hardware purchases at an Apple Store, if you have your Drivers Lic. or other photo ID, and your Student ID (or other proof of studenthood like a class schedule).

Yeah, but it was too hot to walk down to the Michigan Ave. store Monday ;)

I knew about that...I think. I'll certainly remember it next time though, would have saved me a lot of trouble.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-23, 17:39

And I live in British Columbia, Canada.

psmith2.0
2004-07-23, 19:36
Hey, just a quick and friendly head's up: I was in my local Best Buy an hour or so ago, and they had A LOT of the new iPods...20GB AND 40GB.

:eek:

I was surprised to see these new ones in such a healthy, ready-to-go quantity, but it was them: the new colorful boxes, new click-wheel (I know an iPod model when I see it), etc.

So if a smaller, one-Best Buy town like Chattanooga, TN has a crapload of the new iPods in stock on a Friday evening, those of you living in or near larger cities might want to swing by or call your local Best Buy...if my store is any indication, Best Buy could be your Best Chance for getting one of the new iPods this weekend!

* And, of course, not a single iPod mini in stock...

:rolleyes:

BlueRabbit
2004-07-23, 19:36
And I live in British Columbia, Canada.
If you live around Vancouver, you could take a 4-hour trip down to Bellevue Square (http://www.apple.com/retail/bellevuesquare/) or University Village (http://www.apple.com/retail/universityvillage/) and get your hardware discount there. :)

Messiahtosh
2004-07-23, 20:31
Since it didnt ship on time, why dont you call in and ask for a free dock. :D :p

onlyafterdark
2004-07-23, 22:33
I phoned them today and the guy was useless. I asked if they shipped differently in Canada than the states and he said no. But I do realize that they have probably gotten a shit load of calls about it so I wasnt too upset. But it really doesnt feel like they use the same shipping method as the states cuz I ordered mine at 630 am PST and people who ordered theirs on tuesday and later have already gotten theirs. And the people in the UK have been getting theirs too. Oh well, Im Canadian, I am used to waiting for stuff to come in. :) I just hope it comes in before I leave for holidays.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-23, 22:46
Here is a cool pic compairing a 40gig 3G and a 40gig 4G.

http://www.spymac.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=1463779

Messiahtosh
2004-07-23, 23:33
Can you say 'negligible?' :wow:

Eugene
2004-07-23, 23:50
So if a smaller, one-Best Buy town like Chattanooga, TN has a crapload of the new iPods in stock on a Friday evening, those of you living in or near larger cities might want to swing by or call your local Best Buy...if my store is any indication, Best Buy could be your Best Chance for getting one of the new iPods this weekend!
Is there an echo in here? :p

Yeah, my local Fry's was in the middle of building a man-sized pyramid ouf of iPod boxes when I visited the store. Needless to say, there is no shortage of 4Gs anywhere.

The new boxes are very sexy.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-24, 02:09
I'm curious to know how much "Free Music For Your iPod" there is on one of those gift cards that are pre-packaged with each new iPod, does anyone know?

DMBand0026
2004-07-24, 02:16
I'm curious to know how much "Free Music For Your iPod" there is on one of those gift cards that are pre-packaged with each new iPod, does anyone know?

I thought it was $5, or 5 songs.

Good news about mine though, it has been sighted ;) Arrived in downstate Illinois (about 3 hours south of Chicago) this evening and has departed already for my local distributing center. I'm feeling it, tomorrow will be my day! :D

psmith2.0
2004-07-24, 06:17
Is there an echo in here? :p

Yeah, my local Fry's was in the middle of building a man-sized pyramid ouf of iPod boxes when I visited the store. Needless to say, there is no shortage of 4Gs anywhere.

The new boxes are very sexy.

Oops, didn't see your other post...

Quagmire
2004-07-24, 10:00

I don't think any. I have mine in front of me and it is only the free song every week thing. It has no code. If there is something hidden from me please let me know.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-26, 07:36
Jul 26, 2004
7:29 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery*
STATE COLLEGE PA

Wooohoooooo! A full review with many 5.1 megapixel pictures is forthcoming. :)

DMBand0026
2004-07-26, 07:38
I don't think any. I have mine in front of me and it is only the free song every week thing. It has no code. If there is something hidden from me please let me know.

Nope, it's just an ad for the iTMS and the free single of the week. No coupon for free music. :\

Messiahtosh
2004-07-26, 11:05
Well, now I've got my new iPod!

http://homepage.mac.com/untitled5/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-07-26%2009.03.37%20-0700/Image-52A28884DF1C11D8.jpg

Happy as a bitch with a whip!

trailmaster308
2004-07-26, 12:59
5.1 megapixel and thats the best you can do? :p

thequicksilver
2004-07-26, 13:06
Mine today too, 40GB… first impressions very very positive. Replaced a Gen 2 10GB.

Share my out of box experience (http://www.mikeserieys.co.uk/uploads/newipod/index.html)

psmith2.0
2004-07-26, 13:13
Wow, quicksilver...now THAT is a proper "unpacking my new Apple gizmo" photo sequence! :eek:

Good pics...almost felt like I was there! :D

Eugene
2004-07-26, 19:53
It looks like the new iPods don't come with the ultra useful little 6-pin female to 4-pin male FireWire adapter. I never used it with my 3G iPod but it is invaluable to me when I connect my computer or camcorder to my TV.

Paul
2004-07-26, 20:49
It's official!! :)

http://www.apple.com/ipod

http://images.apple.com/ipod/images/indexipod_20040719a.gif

New features:
* Find songs fast with the Apple Click Wheel
* Listen longer with up to 12 hours* battery life
* Shuffle songs in the main menu
* Save multiple On-The-Go Playlists
* Adjust speed for Audiobooks
* Sync and charge via included FireWire or USB 2.0 cables
* Benefit from more language support
PLUS
Hynix HY5V56D SDRAM - 256Mb memory (http://www.ipoding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1867&mode=thread&order=1) (this is where the extra battery life comes from)...

Not too shabby... how long until it gets turned into a REAL pda?

Luca
2004-07-26, 20:58
That's 256 megabit memory. 256 divided by 8 = 32 megabytes. Nothing new on that front. Besides, while 32 MB of flash memory is super cheap nowadays, 256 MB is still expensive enough to drive up the price of the iPod too much. I bought a 256 MB CF card for about $40, and even if Apple can get them for $20, that's still a large amount to add to the cost just for a single component.

Paul
2004-07-26, 21:09
damn... well then... nevermind...
I was hoping that it would be upped to at least 64 or so... just so you could use the lossless codec without too much worry about getting files larger then 32MBs

Quagmire
2004-07-26, 22:14
Sorry if this is a repost. The battery is soldered on the click wheel preventing people to change it on there own and there is some new hardware in it.

http://www.ipodding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1861

trailmaster308
2004-07-26, 22:34
Sorry if this is a repost. The battery is soldered on the click wheel preventing people to change it on there own and there is some new hardware in it.

http://www.ipodding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1861

Its not soldered on according to that post you linked to. It says "Another Update: We went ahead an pulled the battery out. Having removed the logic board, we put the iPod's plastic front in the sun for about 10 minutes. This was enough to loosen the adhesive holding the battery to the Click Wheel modulez"

It seems like a pain but it can be done.

Quagmire
2004-07-26, 22:36
Its not soldered on according to that post you linked to. It says "Another Update: We went ahead an pulled the battery out. Having removed the logic board, we put the iPod's plastic front in the sun for about 10 minutes. This was enough to loosen the adhesive holding the battery to the Click Wheel modulez"

It seems like a pain but it can be done.

It is still not easy to replace the battery. I have to give apple credit for doing this. I might hate it but, you have give credit where credit is due.

DMBand0026
2004-07-26, 22:40
It is still not easy to replace the battery. I have to give apple credit for doing this. I might hate it but, you have give credit where credit is due.

Why do you have to give Apple credit? Because they put adhesive on the battery? :confused:

It may have made it slightly harder for the user to change them, but it still can be done. And I promise that the most zealous iPod fans won't be deterred by a little glue.

trailmaster308
2004-07-26, 22:40
True, but the truth is that most of us aren't gonna wait until the battery dies anyway, right? We gobble them up after one maybe two gens. Or maybe thats just me. :err:

DMBand0026
2004-07-26, 22:43
True, but the truth is that most of us aren't gonna wait until the battery dies anyway, right? We gobble them up after one maybe two gens. Or maybe thats just me. :err:

I know I'm gonna get full use out of my battery :)

But the second that sucker goes down, you won't see me opening it up, I'll pull the trigger on another one :D

Not that I can't do the battery replacement, I just don't want to :P That, and I figure I'll have some disposable income by the time my 4G dies.

onlyafterdark
2004-08-04, 13:21
Just got my new 4G today. I know everyone has probably seen it by now but I posted some pics on my .mac for some friends and I thought I would share them with anyone here who is interested. You can find the pics at http://homepage.mac.com/natolangley/PhotoAlbum7.html

sobelizzard
2004-08-17, 13:26
Just a quick question about the dock for the new iPods... i know the Apple store says that the 4G docks are not compatible with 3G's... if I have a 3G dock, is there any way it will work with the new 20GB iPod? Is it a thickness thing? a battery thing? Thanks

Luca
2004-08-17, 14:58
Just a quick question about the dock for the new iPods... i know the Apple store says that the 4G docks are not compatible with 3G's... if I have a 3G dock, is there any way it will work with the new 20GB iPod? Is it a thickness thing? a battery thing? Thanks
It's the thickness. A 3G dock will technically work with a 4G iPod, but you should hold it steady while it's in the dock because the dock won't hold it securely upright and you risk damaging the connector in the dock.

sobelizzard
2004-08-17, 16:11
sweet. thanks! might have to mod the dock to make it fit more snuggly. we'll see. Anyone else tried?

stevegong
2004-08-17, 19:27
sweet. thanks! might have to mod the dock to make it fit more snuggly. we'll see. Anyone else tried?

it shouldn't be very hard. I can think of a thousand ghetto ways to do it.