PDA

View Full Version : Best place to purchase a Mac Mini right now?

5646Leon
2005-10-10, 17:43
I am in the market to purchase a Mac Mini. Could you tell where the best place I could get one for the best deal? I can get the Educators' Discount through Apple. Just wondering if I could get one cheaper than the Educator Discount. I know the entry level Mac Mini is being fazed out for an updated one. Also, any coupons/discount would help.

Thanks!!

kscherer
2005-10-10, 18:02
You're not likely to find one any cheaper than the Apple Student Teacher pricing. However, you will get more value for your money by purchasing from a local Apple Reseller, even if you have to pay a bit more out-of-pocket. You're saving what, $20?

If you're looking to save a dollar or two, you should not be playing the Mac game. You cannot afford it.

Support your local economy and don't trip over dollars to pick up pennies! :no:

atomicbartbeans
2005-10-10, 18:03
I buy Apple computers at... um, let's see... the Apple Store. :)

That place rawks! :p

awilso
2005-10-10, 18:05
That place rawks! :p

Typo or translation please Atomic :err:

atomicbartbeans
2005-10-10, 18:09
Sound it out. :)

Luca
2005-10-10, 18:19
If you want to make sure you get the updated one, I'd suggest Best Buy. They have a very nice return policy - you get to return any desktop computer within 14 days without a restocking fee. You can do that and then go buy another one, and repeat until you get one of the newly upgraded minis (though I've heard the new ones are pretty common so hopefully you'll get it on the first try). If you buy from the Apple store, you have to pay a 15% restocking fee unless the computer is unopened, and there's no way to determine which one you got unless you open it.

Also, in some cases, you might pay more by buying from Apple, even with the educational discount applied. It's not a lot more, but just calculate $479 + sales tax (since Apple charges sales tax). In my state, it works out to about $510. Some online retailers don't charge sales tax, and some also don't even charge for shipping. So you might be able to get it for a flat $499.

Still, a lot of these online retailers are tricky and don't tell you about sales tax charges until AFTER you irreversably place your order, and they might even hide shipping charges. They might also have older stocks, so you'll be less likely to get one of the newly upgraded minis. I'd suggest waiting at least until Wednesday, and then buying from the Apple store.

awilso
2005-10-10, 18:21
Just done a lookup on Google and have now been officially granted middle age status according to the children.

And ther I was thinking I spoke English

Dah! :grumble: