PDA

View Full Version : duke freshmen get new iPods...let the beatings begin

thegelding
2004-07-19, 11:44
story (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/07/19/duke/)

i see all the seniors pounding a few froshes for their iPods in the days to come

g

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 11:46
If I hadn't already ordered one, I'd enroll in Duke and promptly drop out once the iPod was in my hand. They'd let me keep it, right? ;)

thegelding
2004-07-19, 11:53
what was that scene from animal house:

"mind if we dance with your dates?"

"mind if we look at your iPods" and off they go

g

torifile
2004-07-19, 12:17
I'm lining up to beat down a couple freshman as we speak. I'm a first year post-doc here, does that count? It should.....

Admore
2004-07-19, 12:25
That is incredibly cool. Imagine just downloading all your lectures, listening to them sped up (a la the new audiobook feature) and being done 30% faster...

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 12:31
...yes, amidst the the all-in-fun beat downs by frat jock pussies who couldn't take a pee without their brothers being in on it... :)

Kickaha
2004-07-19, 12:33
Great idea!

WRONG FUCKING SCHOOL!

AUGH!

No, *WE* (UNC) get the frickin' CCI - 'Carolina Computing Initiative', which has been the biggest flop you can imagine.

Overpriced IBM laptops, and Windows. Oooooooooh, gee, what a bargain *that* was for the students. Repair records that eMachines would be ashamed of, massive headaches for the IT staff... it's been insane.

And on top of that... get this. There is a site license for M$ products. But... if you didn't buy a CCI laptop, there's a $130 charge for any student who wants some.

M$ gets paid for Windows even if you bought a Mac, and now want Office.

Or worse, they get paid *TWICE* if you bought a non-CCI Windows laptop.

Fuckers.

The people making these decisions are so goddamned screwed up it isn't funny. It's so incredibly blatantly obviously the wrong thing to do, technically and financially, you have to wonder who got paid off. Seriously.

torifile
2004-07-19, 12:45
Great idea!

WRONG FUCKING SCHOOL!

AUGH!

No, *WE* (UNC) get the frickin' CCI - 'Carolina Computing Initiative', which has been the biggest flop you can imagine.

Overpriced IBM laptops, and Windows. Oooooooooh, gee, what a bargain *that* was for the students. Repair records that eMachines would be ashamed of, massive headaches for the IT staff... it's been insane.

And on top of that... get this. There is a site license for M$ products. But... if you didn't buy a CCI laptop, there's a $130 charge for any student who wants some.

M$ gets paid for Windows even if you bought a Mac, and now want Office.

Or worse, they get paid *TWICE* if you bought a non-CCI Windows laptop.

Fuckers.

The people making these decisions are so goddamned screwed up it isn't funny. It's so incredibly blatantly obviously the wrong thing to do, technically and financially, you have to wonder who got paid off. Seriously.
I got out of UNC right before that CCI crap started. Thankfully. I never would have been able to justify my Dell laptop purchase that eventually drove me to a Mac if I had gotten one through the CCI. Whew!

So, Kick, you wanna come over to Durham and snag some iPods??? :D

Moogs
2004-07-19, 13:43
More proof that Duke is a collegiate country-club, however respectable its academic programs and men's basketball team may be.

:p

Kickaha
2004-07-19, 13:57
Well duh. University of New Jersey, South Campus.