PDA

View Full Version : AlchemyTV DVR Or Elgato Eye TV

Mntnbkr83
2005-10-11, 16:05
I've got a powermac G4 and I would like to record TV. I believe I have 2 options. The AlchemyTV DVR and Elgato's Eye TV 200(i'm not interested in the 500 model) The AlchemyTV DVR is only $129 while the Eye TV 200 is $229(without rebates). I've heard great reviews of the Eye TV 200, but does anyone else notice the $100 price difference!? Anyone have the AlchemyTV DVR? I would like to get that, unless of course, it sucks horribly. Which way should I go?

Ebby
2005-10-11, 16:29
EyeTV has an incredible interface and is very stable. Alone, the software sells for like $80, so factor that into your purchase price. You are not only buying solid hardware, but a great program to control it. Elgato recently realized the gem of a program they created and now are working with 3rd parties to expand their options.

I have the EyeTV500, and the only problems I have are with hard drive space and digital TV signal strength.

But, I never used AlchemyTV, so my opinion is biased. ;)

Mntnbkr83
2005-10-11, 16:36
So the Eye TV doesn't come with software to run the machine? I need to pay 80 more dollars?

Mntnbkr83
2005-10-11, 16:58
Eh, I think you were saying that I should factor in that they give me $80 worth of software when I buy the Eye TV 200.

chucker
2005-10-11, 17:08
To clarify, he's saying that Eye TV comes with software that is generally applauded to be excellent and retails for $80. Naturally, the AlchemyTV also comes with software, but whether it's nearly as good is another question entirely.

(Or you could check if the Eye TV software supports AlchemyTV, buy AlchemyTV + Eye TV software and save a few bucks. If you would want to.)

Franz Josef
2005-10-11, 17:50
I've used EyeTV (EyeTV DTT) for a few months now and it is a very good product indeed. The software is excellent - functionality is first rate, the editor is very easy to use and it's feature rich - saved TV programs can be saved in a wide range of formats. I had a few questions which were answered in hours via their email support.

I'd very readily buy again from Elgato - the hardware / software interaction is worthy of Apple itself.

scuttlebuttin
2005-10-11, 22:16
I've got a powermac G4 and I would like to record TV. I believe I have 2 options. The AlchemyTV DVR and Elgato's Eye TV 200(i'm not interested in the 500 model) The AlchemyTV DVR is only $129 while the Eye TV 200 is $229(without rebates). I've heard great reviews of the Eye TV 200, but does anyone else notice the $100 price difference!? Anyone have the AlchemyTV DVR? I would like to get that, unless of course, it sucks horribly. Which way should I go?

El Gato offers other much cheaper setups that work just as well but have their minuses. At this point with those options available there is no reason to go with the Alchemy in my opinion

NosferaDrew
2005-10-12, 00:35
EyeTV has an incredible interface and is very stable.
...But, I never used AlchemyTV, so my opinion is biased. ;)
Just to echo Ebby, I have an EyeTV 200 and love it.

The integration with Toast is great also - burns DVDs with menus with one click.

Mntnbkr83
2005-10-12, 14:54
Does the EYE TV slow down your computer? It seems that the box does all the work. The alchemy chip makes your computer do the work, so el gato seems better, but I don't know if I want to pay that extra $$$.

Franz Josef
2005-10-12, 15:00
EyeTV DTT uses very little CPU capacity - 20% on my G4 PowerBook.

Ebby
2005-10-12, 15:51
It depends on what kind of compression you use. My EyeTV500 only used MPEG2, and a HDTV stream can use 1/2 my CPU power. (Dual 2Ghz) You would have MPED1, 2, 4 options I think. 4 would take the most CPU, but least disk space.

kretara
2005-10-12, 15:57
OK, this may be a stupid question.
I've heard conflicting stories about ElGato (200 or 500) being able to "see" the signal from Sat. receivers (Dish, DirecTV) and from Cable "digital" signals.

Anyone have any experience with this (esp. with Dish)?

naren
2005-10-12, 17:07
Has anyone used the Formac TVR?

http://www.formac.us/p_bin/?cid=solutions_converters_studiodvtv

I wonder how it really compares to Elgato.

kretara
2005-10-12, 21:19
I've never used the Formac TVR, but I have used other Formac products and have had nothing but problems with them. From my experience the customer service is horrible.

Ebby
2005-10-12, 21:35
Both those models can't use satellite TV. The 500 can do cable, but I don't have that.

The software/hardware will do the best it can but I live on the edge of TV reception so sometimes the signal drops out.

Another problem I had is with the auto tune feature. Sometimes a station will just disappear and magically reappear 3-4 days later. I don't know if that is a EyeTV500 problem or the broadcasters fault.