PDA

View Full Version : Joswiak:No 60 GB iPod anytime soon.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 12:35
Apple exec: No 60GB iPod anytime soon
July 19 - 12:31 EDT** Greg Joswiak, vice president of hardware product marketing at Apple, has dismissed rumors of 60 gigabyte iPod model, despite Toshiba saying the opposite. "We have no plans in regard to announcing 60 gigabyte models," Joswiak told Reuters. "We are trying to create a much more compelling lineup with two models for 20 and 40 gigabytes at extremely compelling prices." In early June, Toshiba said that a 60GB version of its 1.8-inch hard drive would enter mass production during July or August and that it had already received an order from Apple.

Is it me or has Apple been more open about dismissing rumors and confirming upcoming products? It certainly seems that Apple has changed its policy, at least when it comes to protecting the sales of their current offerings.

What then, are the 60 GB HD's for, since Apple supposedly did receive an order of them? :eek:

jph1971
2004-07-19, 12:39
If I remember correctly Maccentral reported that they received orders for about 350 000 units per month - so, something must be in the works, I guess.

No pda for sure but what else could it be?

jph

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 12:42
If I remember correctly Maccentral reported that they received orders for about 350 000 units per month - so, something must be in the works, I guess.

No pda for sure but what else could it be?

jphThe new iMac? A set-top box? What about a videoPod, which would be a completely different thing than the iPod. I have no clue, but that's why we love places like this right? Hmmm... :confused:

MacUsers
2004-07-19, 12:44
Maybe they got mad at them for blurbing out the news and canceled the orders... :p

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 12:50
Maybe they got mad at them for blurbing out the news and canceled the orders... :pDoubtful.

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 12:58
When I read this story, I thought the same sorts of thing. It can really only mean two things:

1. Joswiak is simply lying his butt off, or...

2. Those 60GB drives are for something else, quite small.

Of course, there are more than those two, but those are the most exciting.

:D

I have to opt for #1. I think "anytime soon" is subjective. One man's"not soon" is another man's 3-4 months. I think there will indeed be 60GB iPods, out before the holiday shopping seasons kicks in.

I don't know what else it could be. Surely not the new iMac...they'd be going backwards in capacity, right?

:confused:

ast3r3x
2004-07-19, 13:03
Well I guess we know how they are helping put the iMac on the back of the displays. Two 60GB drive...RAID in every mac ;)

jph1971
2004-07-19, 13:23
Maybe they got mad at them for blurbing out the news and canceled the orders... :p

Now, that would be very Stevesque...

jph

jph1971
2004-07-19, 13:28
But 350 000 per month is a very large number - they wouldn't sell > 4 million top-of-the-line iPods a year (even if the whole iPod thing is gaining even more momentum). Maybe it's for more than one device??? :confused:

jph

Moogs
2004-07-19, 13:40
Could it be Toshiba was misquoted, and did not take any orders from Apple at all? Just suggesting the always unpopular possibility that Apple is telling the truth here and has no immediate plans for a 60GB model. Although he says no plans for announcing them, which is probably just double-talk for "we have them in production, but we want you all to buy the existing new models NOW... and then buy the 60GB model later. Can't have you suckers holding off to buy the bigger model now, can we?"

:D

jph1971
2004-07-19, 13:53
Here's the quote from Maccentral (June 2, 2004):

"Ahead of the launch, Toshiba has been showing the drive to customers and has already received an order from Apple, Lee said. Toshiba is currently shipping 350,000 of the 1.8-inch drives per month to Apple for use in the iPod, which is manufactured by Taiwan's Inventec Corp."

While this was mentioned in the same article that was spreading the news about the 60 GB HDs, it didn't say that 60 GB drives would ship in such large numbers...

Hope that clarifies it a bit...

jph

BuonRotto
2004-07-19, 14:40
Remember that it was said that the iMac wasn't going to get a G5 chip anytime soon either, but as it turns out, later that year (September in that case) was considered "not soon." I still think Apple will ship a 60 GB model in time for the Christmac shopping season, announcing in November with product on shelves by Black Friday later that month.

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 14:44
Who else thinks he's lying?

<raises hand>

I think they're just saying this so people don't hold off on buying an iPod till the 60 gig comes around. That quote from Toshiba is pretty hard to argue with.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 15:00
Yeah, now that I think about it, the 60 GB iPod will probably be announced near the middle to the end of September. Thank God I don't have that much music, I can't even imagine how long it would take to scroll through all the songs on a 60 GB iPod! Overkill. :p

applenut
2004-07-19, 15:50
Yeah, now that I think about it, the 60 GB iPod will probably be announced near the middle to the end of September. Thank God I don't have that much music, I can't even imagine how long it would take to scroll through all the songs on a 60 GB iPod! Overkill. :p

that maccentral quote is apparently a misquote. the quote on other publications is significantly different. in the other quote toshiba is said to be planning production of 350,000 a month and that apple is one customer who has placed orders.

that does not mean apple is receiving 350,000. it just means they have interest in using it.

don't expect to see a 60GB iPod anytime soon if that's what they said. take their statements for what they are. they wouldn't say anything if they meant otherwise.

Moogs
2004-07-19, 16:08
Except that, usually, comments like these *don't* mean anything. They're certainly not specific enough to be legally binding in any way, and they've tried to quell talk of other products before, only to announce or release them not long (a few months) afterwards.

They're basically wanting to make sure people do no assume there's a third, larger model coming in the immediate weeks, thus potentially putting off their orders. "This is the lineup we want, buy now." That's the intent IMO. There's nothing there at all to suggest we shouldn't expect a 60GB model before the Holidays, for example.

psmith2.0
2004-07-19, 18:26
I agree. If Apple said "well, yeah...actually we DO have a 60GB coming soon...", serious music nuts with tons of music would ignore today's released models, and maybe much of the "gotta have the biggest" crowd that we all know exists.

Joz has to say "nah..." when we all know damn good and well there probably will be one announced within three months, in time for the holidays. I'd put good money on it, in fact.

"no time soon" is so subjective. What Apple might consider "soon" is 45-60 days. Where I consider any time before it turns 2005 (120-150 days) fairly "soon", in the big scheme of things.

No, I don't think there will be one by the end of September. I will, however, wager my left something-or-other there will be one by late October/mid November.

Spart
2004-07-19, 22:29
60 GB iPod, pah.

We all know that Apple is reserving the short supply of that particular drive exclusively for the new sub-notebook.

:p :smokey:

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 22:55
60 GB iPod, pah.

We all know that Apple is reserving the short supply of that particular drive exclusively for the new sub-notebook.

:p :smokey:

So you're gonna buy a sub notebook from Apple that will die after a month or so because the HD that it boots from isn't a drive that technically supports booting? You'd fry the drive in no time flat :\

nowayout11
2004-07-20, 03:57
Maybe they're for the HPod... Hey, it's not an iPod. ;)

Robo
2004-07-20, 04:04
If anything, they'd be for an iPod to come out soon after the HPod is announced in September - Apple's gotta keep their edge, y'know. ;)

I wonder if there really is some sort of iPod video in the works, though. 60 gigabytes is almost too much for music...though I'm sure some would beg to differ.

I think we will see a 60GB iPod nonetheless, though.

dfiler
2004-07-20, 07:28
Of course Apple will downplay the possibility of a 60GB iPod. They want to sell the ones they just introduced.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-20, 07:59
If anything, they'd be for an iPod to come out soon after the HPod is announced in September - Apple's gotta keep their edge, y'know. ;)

I wonder if there really is some sort of iPod video in the works, though. 60 gigabytes is almost too much for music...though I'm sure some would beg to differ.

I think we will see a 60GB iPod nonetheless, though.Exactly. Like I said in a nother topic, the 60 GB iPod will probably be announced by Apple once HP announces their versions of the 20 and 40. It gives Apple a bit of an edge and keeps them as THE iPod company. ;)

psmith2.0
2004-07-20, 08:42
Can I ask a question? What reason would one buy an HP iPod?

If the Apple one is the same on PC and Mac, works with iTunes and iTMS the exact same way, what benefit is there getting the HP-branded one? For loyal followers and diehard fans of HP? Do those even exist? Are the HP ones going to be a bit cheaper? Or sport some cool feature that isn't on the "real" ones? I highly doubt it.

:confused:

If the iPod were still a Mac-only thing and the HP models were the only ones engineered to work with Windows, then I could understand...it would make sense. But that's not the case at all. So who wouldn't opt for the real thing over a re-branded (and probably uglied-up in some way) clone?

I've wondered that since this deal was first announced...

I'd buy that off-brand Coca-Cola knock-off ONLY if the real Coke was not available at the moment. Otherwise, I get the real one that actually tastes good and has a cooler-looking can.

:p

Luca
2004-07-20, 08:52
They'll probably have some sort of special deal for buyers of HP systems. Since HP is actually the #1 computer seller, just ahead of Dell, they could theoretically move a LOT of hPods. So, if someone is looking to buy a new computer, almost certainly a PC since that's what most people have, and they go to HP's website, and see that they can get an hPod with their computer. Maybe at a discount. Maybe they hadn't even thought of getting an iPod, but this gets them to buy one. As much exposure as the iPod is getting, this will increase it even more. No, I won't buy an hPod for myself, and I doubt many people will specifically go to HP's website and buy an hPod from them, but it's something that I think a lot of people will kind of "discover" while shopping for a computer there. HP sells a LOT of computers... think of how many hPod sales they could make!

Brad
2004-07-20, 09:00
Can I ask a question? What reason would one buy an HP iPod?
They'll be available in more outlets.
Some stubborn PC users might be happier that it's not branded with an Apple.
HP may bundle it in sales with new machines or give a discount.

All this and Apple loses nothing. HP bundles iTunes on all new machines, giving all new HP users a major incentive to buy either an Apple iPod or an HP iPod. To Apple, it doesn't matter which they buy; Apple still gets a nice chunk of cash coming in from new buyers and that possibility of luring a few switchers later on. Letting HP sell a branded version of the iPod greatly increases the likelihood of people picking one up with the new PC.

After all, haven't you ever come across PC users (typically novices) who want *everything* for their PC to carry the manufacturer's name? I'm sure you must have at some point. Shoot, there is a number of Apple users in the same camp (remember back when Apple re-branded crappy inkjet printers too so people could have a one-stop shopping solution?).

So who wouldn't opt for the real thing over a re-branded (and probably uglied-up in some way) clone?If the demonsration given by that HP lady a few months ago is to believed, the HP iPod is identical to the regular iPod except for two things: a slightly bluish case color and the HP logo on the back. Of course, it you don't like HP blue...

Luca
2004-07-20, 09:08
Oh yeah, and Apple will reap some huge benefits from this.

1) HP iPod gets the iPod into a lot of people's hands.
2) All HP systems (even if you don't buy the HP iPod) come with iTunes installed with an icon on the desktop.

With the largest computer manufacturer now promoting the most popular music player and music store, this could seal the deal for AAC taking dominance over WMA. That is EXTREMELY important. This is as big as the Beta/VHS war, perhaps even as big as the Windows/Mac war years ago. It basically determines whether MS or Apple controls the digital music market. Think about how huge the music market is today, and how, ten years from now, it'll probably be taking place almost entirely in the digital realm. Imagine the money Apple would be making from controlling the format that every music store and portable player uses. It boggles the mind. Now imagine how f*cked Apple would be if MS was sitting on the top of the heap, and Apple was forced to discontinue the iTMS or start supporting WMA on iPods.

psmith2.0
2004-07-20, 09:12
Good enough. Answered my question, Brad and Luca. Thanks! :)

I saw that blue one Carly was holding...it was a bit ugly. :D

But hey...an iPod is an iPod, right? Sell those babies, and get everyone using iTunes and the iTMS. Maybe a few adventurous ones will be inspired to check out Apple a bit closer, and give the actual computers an honest look if they're happy with the iPod/iTunes/iTMS experience?

And I could very well imagine some PC-nut not wanting to own anything with an Apple logo on it. Makes sense. Well it doesn't, but I understand...the same way that I threw Internet Explorer's big blue "e" out of my Dock, for good, upon Safari's release.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-20, 09:42
Not to mention the fact that the iTMS will see an influx of new customers, once people decide to get the hPod bundled with their shitty HP computer.

Only later, will the duped customer realize that they are getting a half assed computing experience, then switch over once they have the funds for a new computer. Muahahaha! :p

Luca
2004-07-20, 09:48
Maybe, maybe not. Either way, Apple makes money :)

iMeowbot
2004-07-20, 10:13
So you're gonna buy a sub notebook from Apple that will die after a month or so because the HD that it boots from isn't a drive that technically supports booting? You'd fry the drive in no time flat :\
It's not really the drive itself but the iPod enclosure, with the disk sandwiched between the battery and boards (or in a rubber jacket on newer models).

IBM are using the same drives in the ThinkPad X40, they're fine when given the room to breathe.

applenut
2004-07-20, 13:23
It's not really the drive itself but the iPod enclosure, with the disk sandwiched between the battery and boards (or in a rubber jacket on newer models).

IBM are using the same drives in the ThinkPad X40, they're fine when given the room to breathe.

they are extremely slow

ThunderPoit
2004-07-20, 14:28
well you dont make a computer as small as freaking possible and expect it to do 100FPS in doom 3, now do you?

Xaqtly
2004-07-20, 15:33
Wasn't it Joswiak who, about a month ago, said "There are no G5 iMacs coming at all, period" or something to that effect? And then news sites all went crazy with that, telling everybody to stop waiting for G5 iMacs any time soon? And then a month later G5 iMacs were confirmed by Apple?

Patchouly
2004-07-20, 16:15
Toshiba uses the 1.8" HD ('iPod Drive') in their ultra portable (R100), as does Sony (TR) and IBM (X40). While they are noisier and have smaller capacities with only 2MB of cache, they aren't THAT much slower than a regular 2.5" 4200rpm HD. Personally, I prefer the quiet 5400rpm w/8mb Cache Hitachi's for my portable.

Back on topic, if there is a 1.8" 60GB HD available to Apple, there is no reason in the world why Apple will not be offering one (they are probably being prepped as we speak). You just know that will be the iPod in the $499 slot and I will certainly be in line buying one. ;)

nowayout11
2004-07-21, 03:58
Not many people need 400 gig HDs, but those are coming out soon too. ;)

These small drives will find applications in areas other than ipods, so their production will continue, and their size will increase, because those other applications will desire it, even if it is overkill for music.

With regular hard drives today, it would cost more to manufacture an 8 gig HD than a 40 gig HD, because the 8 gig process has been retired and would be a "special order" type of product.

Ditto with iPods. They get cheaper (or retain the same cost) to go with larger capacities over time. So heck, why not.

Still, digital music storage is destined to become a commodity when high capacities become cheap and beyond everybody's needs. That's when Apple will have to find their next killer app.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-21, 07:28
The point is, nobody is really competing on storage capacity anymore. Almost everyone's needs are already met by the ability to hold 10,000 songs on an iPod. Of course there will be people who want to be able to do more than that, and in time, they will be able to.

The competition is all about interface design, product size, and it's companion app on the computer. Apple is winning on all 3 of those right now, and is even competing on price and capacity. Good times. :)

Cant wait for my 20 GB on friday. :wow:

JLL
2004-07-27, 15:01
Wasn't it Joswiak who, about a month ago, said "There are no G5 iMacs coming at all, period" or something to that effect? And then news sites all went crazy with that, telling everybody to stop waiting for G5 iMacs any time soon? And then a month later G5 iMacs were confirmed by Apple?

No, he said that there won't a PowerBook G5 for a while, and that they were having problems fitting a G5 into an iMac because of heat issues - not that they weren't working on a G5 iMac.

psgamer0921
2004-07-27, 16:54
I bet it would have to be an ultra small imac