PDA

View Full Version : Buying from Amazon.co.uk?

Wrao
2005-10-13, 17:35
I recently discovered that for the past decade or so, my favorite childhood comic Asterix has been made into a half dozen animated movies and 3 live action movies, that they have all been big successes and there are 3 more movies being made.

This has me going ballistic, because apparently they were all dubbed(or at least subbed) to english, and are readily available on DVD through amazon.... .co.uk :(

Can I get them from the states? Is there a procedure to do? taxes? import fees? something... surprisingly the movies are all pretty cheap, even after currency conversion. So, I would totally buy them all if I could, What's the word on this?

DMBand0026
2005-10-14, 11:52
Have one of our UK friends by them for you than you send the money and cover the costs of shipping to the US?

Yeah...that doesn't sound like a very good idea to me either. :\

SKMDC
2005-10-14, 12:01
I buy DVDs from amazon uk all the time.
no different from the states other than it's a good idea to know the exchange rate.
Royal mail is really fast and your postman will look upon you with new respect as he'll think you're getting mail from the Queen.

Do you have a DVD player that will play them?

Wrao
2005-10-14, 13:26
Do you have a DVD player that will play them?

Computer? and I believe we modded our PS2 a while back to accept multiple regions, but I forget if it worked. Regardless, I'd figure something out.

SKMDC
2005-10-14, 13:41
If need be, you can buy a region free player here, (http://www.regionfreedvd.net/players.html) just get one that does the region switching automatically.

Engine Joe
2005-10-14, 14:06
I'll join in with SKMDC here - I get DVDs form Amazon.co.uk quite often. Works without a hitch, though shipping is slow (and keep an eye on the exchange rate).

Fahrenheit
2007-12-24, 11:09
Just to announce that Royal Mail special delivery can go and suck my dong.

Dorian Gray
2007-12-24, 11:18
Just to announce that Royal Mail special delivery can go and suck my dong.
Seconded: go suck his dong. Someone's birthday was a couple of days ago and my present to him, estimated by Amazon to arrive by December 21 and shipped on time, still hasn't arrived.

(Though credit where its due: my Christmas stuff arrived, albeit mostly today.)

Fahrenheit
2007-12-24, 11:33
To expand slightly, Amazon shipped my goods Special Delivery to arrive 24th (today). They have not. On the track and trace, they said they had been delivered, yet no parcel nor 'you were out' card was left (and we were in!).

I went to both the local (I say local...) sorting office then the delivery office, and neither could help. The local PO's are all closed. The Royal Mail phone line has gone all automated over Christmas so there is simply nobody to speak to.

(Special delivery is guaranteed and has to be delivered otherwise the sender gets the cost back). My parcel contained 4 gifts for tomorrow. I am quite unhappy, just by how the Royal Mail office told me that they had obviously tried to deliver it to me but I was out. I said 'fuck' for the first time to a customer service assistant in my life. The Royal Mail just don't seem to care about their customers. Its not the first time they have fucked up. In fact, most of the time they fuck up

Fuck.

kieran
2007-12-24, 13:21
I was assuming you had ordered something for tomorrow and it hadn't arrived yet.

That sucks Farenheit.

I hate all postal delivery companies. They all seem to fuck up at the worst possible time.

chris e boy
2007-12-30, 12:57
Seconded: go suck his dong. Someone's birthday was a couple of days ago and my present to him, estimated by Amazon to arrive by December 21 and shipped on time, still hasn't arrived.

(Though credit where its due: my Christmas stuff arrived, albeit mostly today.)

Mine didn't. Royal Mail are a joke these days.

On topic: I've ordered stuff from Amazon.COM in the past and had no problems getting them delivered over here so no reason why it shouldn't work the other way round. Orders did take quite a while to arrive however.