PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini 1.25 vs. 1.42

fwtong
2005-10-14, 00:45
I'm planning on getting a Mac Mini pretty soon. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the 1.25 Mac Mini instead of the 1.42 for a few reasons. First, it's cheaper. Second, it doesn't come with Bluetooth, which is fine since I own exactly 0 Bluetooth devices, and that won't change in the near future. I also don't need it to have wifi capability since my room is where the router is at, so I don't need it to have wifi. And if I do need to have wifi, I have a USB 802.11g adapter. Third, my main use of it is going to be web surfing, using Open Office and storing pictures. I know the hard drive is only 40GB, but I'm going to get a firewire enclosure for my 200GB HD, so HD size doesn't really matter. I don't do video editing and may do a small amount of photo editing. So, is there any reason to get the 1.42 version based on my planned use? Also, is 512MB of RAM sufficient?

Thanks

Brad
2005-10-14, 01:12
In case no one has said so, welcome to AppleNova! :)

And if I do need to have wifi, I have a USB 802.11g adapter.I wouldn't count on that working. I would check to see if it has drivers for Mac OS X before making any assumptions.

Third, my main use of it is going to be web surfing, using Open Office and storing pictures.Well, keep in mind that the Mac port of OpenOffice is not excellent quality. It runs and it's free, but the Mac side of that project has seen very little attention over the years and the application barely qualifies as a second-class citizen on Mac OS X by some definitions. OpenOffice.org doesn't even have a fully native port for Mac users at the moment. Instead, we have NeoOffice/J (http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php) that is a Java wrapper for much of the OO engine. It does a pretty good job, but it too isn't "Insanely Great" in the usability department. Free is free, though, and you get what you pay for.

If you can get by with it for a while, that's great, but you should consider investing a few dollars in the next version of iWork that everyone is hoping Apple will release in January. iWork has Pages (like Word) and Keynote (like Powerpoint) but lacks a spreadsheet application. Many people are hoping/expecting Apple to include such an application in the next major update to the iWork suite.

I know the hard drive is only 40GB, but I'm going to get a firewire enclosure for my 200GB HD, so HD size doesn't really matter.Sounds great! :)

So, is there any reason to get the 1.42 version based on my planned use? Also, is 512MB of RAM sufficient?For your intended uses, the 1.25 GHz model should be fine. :) Most people consider 512 MB to be just enough for general use. Previously Apple only included 256 MB and people were suffering major slowdowns because of that. I think the bump to 512 has alleviated the majority of VM paging issues for the casual user.