PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an iBook G4?

Tofufu
2005-10-16, 13:56
I just purchased an iBook G4 14" this Friday, but I've been debating on whether or not I should cancel my order. All of these updates that Apple has been releasing as of late make me anxious of a nearing iBook G5. I'm willing to wait a month or two for it, but I would feel pretty ridiculous if the price suddenly shoots up or if the update comes sometime later next year. Well, should I wait or just keep my order?

Edit: By the way, this is my first Apple/Macintosh purchase, besides an iPod.

geneman
2005-10-16, 14:02
I don't follow the rumors that closely, but if there's going to be a portable G5 I would think it would be the powerbook line-up first (and actually I don't think we'll see that).

However I think it's likely we'll see some sort of update on the powerbook line this week - check the speculation forum. The iBook is less likely to get an update since it's been updated recently (I know the same was said about the iMac).

2005-10-16, 14:02
All of these updates that Apple has been releasing as of late make me anxious of a nearing iBook G5. :err:

Such a beast will never exist, my dear. Besides, the iBook just got updated less than 3 months ago. Don't cancel your order. The chance of an iBook update (especially to a G5) are slim to none.

chucker
2005-10-16, 14:08
A PowerBook update, on the other hand, is quite likely next Wednesday (and otherwise, some time in the next few weeks). So if you want something with a little more "oomph", you may want to wait to see what the next low-end PowerBook will have to offer.

The iBook, on the other hand, just got updated. Don't expect another update for a while.

atomicbartbeans
2005-10-16, 14:18
What they said. :)

If the Powerbook gets a G5 next week, then it will finally be adequately spaced from the iBook. It's safe to say that the iBook won't get a new processor until the Intel switch.

Tofufu
2005-10-16, 15:22
Thanks so much everyone!
What they said. :)

If the Powerbook gets a G5 next week, then it will finally be adequately spaced from the iBook. It's safe to say that the iBook won't get a new processor until the Intel switch.
Is there any approximate date on when the Intel switch will take place?

2005-10-16, 15:28
Approx. Jan-June 2006 (at least *one* product before WWDC) - December 2007 (the purported cutoff for Intel transition).

Tofufu
2005-10-16, 15:39
Approx. Jan-June 2006 (at least *one* product before WWDC) - December 2007 (the purported cutoff for Intel transition).

o_o Goodness, that's a huge margin. Is this Intel switch really that great of an alteration/improvement? (Yeah, I'm not computer savvy.) Also.. is the price going to rise considerably?

chucker
2005-10-16, 15:44
o_o Goodness, that's a huge margin. Is this Intel switch really that great of an alteration/improvement? (Yeah, I'm not computer savvy.) Also.. is the price going to rise considerably?

I'm not sure where you got the impression from that this would have any effect on the price?

Tofufu
2005-10-16, 15:45
I'm not sure where you got the impression from that this would have any effect on the price?
I didn't get it anywhere, really. I'm just guessing. ^__^

2005-10-16, 16:05
o_o Goodness, that's a huge margin. Is this Intel switch really that great of an alteration/improvement?Depends on who you talk to / remains to be seen. ;)

Long story short, Apple looked at IBM's and Intel's processor roadmap and it liked what it saw with Intel's upcoming offerings. Now we're waiting for these upcoming processors to materialize, and that's probably going to take us into the latter part of 2007 to get *everything* fitted with an Intel. There's a bunch of more in-depth info in these forums (especially in Speculation & Rumours), so if you're really interested I'd suggest you go poking around a bit. And no, I don't expect a dramatic price increase, if at all.

Oh, welcome to AppleNova! :)

Tofufu
2005-10-16, 16:14
:) Thanks a bundle! I believe I'll keep my order. After all, as long as it does everything I need, there's no problem.

Oh, welcome to AppleNova! :)
^__^ Thank you bery muchly.

curiousuburb
2005-10-16, 16:40
Chance of an iBook G5 while the PowerBook is still a G4... -1% (less than zero)

Chance of an updated iBook... perhaps iSight integrated and Front Row (like iMac)... 10-40%

But as noted, these features will migrate to the PowerMac G5 and PowerBook before the iBook/eMac

If you won't take a hit financially for yanking the order, why not cancel and wait for Oct 19th.

At worst, you can reorder the same unit (if not penalty other than delayed delivery).
At best you might get a bump or price tweak (if you're an optimist).

mactivist
2005-10-16, 16:57
I would not be surprised to see the iBook and Mac Mini get upgraded to a G5 after the first "macintels" come out for the Power and iMac lines. But that's probably at least a year away.

Enjoy your iBook, just max out the RAM when you can afford it.

Tofufu
2005-10-16, 18:44
If you won't take a hit financially for yanking the order, why not cancel and wait for Oct 19th.

At worst, you can reorder the same unit (if not penalty other than delayed delivery).
At best you might get a bump or price tweak (if you're an optimist).
Ah, okay. I think I'll take your advice and just cancel and wait until October 19th to re-order. At least I won't have any regrets that way if something does indeed change. Thanks!

switchr92
2005-10-16, 22:35
Is portability a must for you, Tofufu? Because if it isn't, I would cancel the order and try to jump on the recently updated iMac (assuming you have th extra 200 or so dollars), because that is such an awesome deal right now, easily best bang-for-your-buck on any apple line right now. Just my two cents.
If portability is neccesary, than enjoy the iBook. I'm typing on one now via a (cringe) microsoft keyboard, and what a great machine. Wish I had a new iMac though.
Either way, u win, so good luck.

Kit Fisto
2005-10-17, 01:04
My take: The iBook was just updated. It is set until the end of January. Cancelling the order will just delay your getting a good machine.