PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I just found! ! !

Wickers
2004-07-20, 13:38
Not one but TWO PowerBooks! In a garbage pile, ready to get trashed.

1. PowerBook 145b
2. PowerBook 150

Both look to be in working condition. . . but both were opened when found so I still have to test them out.

Both have all the needed parts for a working system. . . however if I can only fix one, it would be the 150.

So, up for grabs is one PowerBook 145b as is. . . free to anyone who wants to pay the shipping for it. Just PM me.

Now I am off to grab a power supply. . . sigh. . . 7.5Vdc 2-3a. .

spotcatbug
2004-07-20, 13:52
1. PowerBook 145b
2. PowerBook 150That's exactly what I was going to guess.

Wickers
2004-07-20, 15:11
hehe. . . the same night I also found two working PCs. . . A P120, and a P166, both need a hard drive and some ram but I have some extra parts around the house (when you fix computers for a living, parts tend to build up) so atleast one of them is running. . . the other needs a Dell Power Supply (non-standard).

Chinney
2004-07-20, 15:27
Amazing what people throw out.

On a side note, the issue of throwing out computers is a special problem, given that they have ‘ingredients’ that, when they break down, are quite toxic. Ideally, computers that are beyond all usefulness should have these parts removed/recycled, rather than just being thrown in the dump. Unfortunately, most such old equipments is just going directly to the dump.

Wickers
2004-07-20, 15:29
I know what you mean, the two powerbooks were tosses with two dead batteries. . . they just kill nature.

e-waste is getting to be a problem here in Toronto.

HOM
2004-07-20, 15:42
Hehe, about six years back I was walking home and saw a black keyboard in the trash. I poked a round for a second and saw a complete NeXT Cube with keyboard, monitor, and mouse. I took it all home to see if it worked. Alas it did not and I didn't have the technical skills to bring it back to life.

A week later I sent it in to be recycled.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-20, 16:13
Hehe, about six years back I was walking home and saw a black keyboard in the trash. I poked a round for a second and saw a complete NeXT Cube with keyboard, monitor, and mouse. I took it all home to see if it worked. Alas it did not and I didn't have the technical skills to bring it back to life.

A week later I sent it in to be recycled.Why would you not keep the NeXT Cube as a muesum piece? Oh man... :err:

MacUsers
2004-07-20, 16:18
Why would you not keep the NeXT Cube as a muesum piece? Oh man... :err:

That's what I thought myself... were they in really bad condition?

InactionMan
2004-07-20, 17:36
I was at Riverdale Collegiate (in Toronto) on something apparently related to my job and the had a massive pile of Macs (at least 30 of them) waiting to meet their maker. They were some sort of PowerMac AIO. May have been the G3 AIO or one the latter models from '97. So, Wickes, if you want a haul of PowerMacs, there in the parking garage, the door is usually open. :)
Edit - I was just checking out apple-history.com and I think they may have been the G3 AIO. Did Apple sell many of these? If it is not that then they were really old, probably pre-1997. The school will probably be getting a shipment of Dell's for the next school year. :no:

Wickers
2004-07-20, 18:01
Hmmm. .. . now how would I get to Riverdale Collegiate? I live walking distance from Riverdale st. so I might check it out.

InactionMan
2004-07-20, 18:06
It's at the corner of Gerard and Jones.

If they're the G3 AIO, save me one. :p

Wickers
2004-07-20, 18:28
It's at the corner of Gerard and Jones.

If they're the G3 AIO, save me one. :p
If you wanna pay for the shipping on one of them beasts, I'll do just that. But I gotta figure out how I will transport just one (let alone two) back to my place. ;)

I'll take a look, got nothing else to do anyway. :p

HOM
2004-07-20, 19:05
Why would you not keep the NeXT Cube as a muesum piece? Oh man... :err:
A museum piece? It was broken and I had no use for it.

I have no allegiance to NeXT. I never bought one of their computers nor did I ever want to.

Now if it was a BeBox I don't care how busted it was I would have spent the time and money bringing it back to life.

http://www.schrotthal.de/misc/bebox-front.jpg

Bill M
2004-07-20, 19:47
Slightly off-topic:
Anybody knows how much can be asked (other than donating it) for the following:

Power Computing Powerbase 180 (Upgd' G3 400) 10gb/256mb USB CD
Sony 15" SVGA
Apple Color Stylewriter 2500
Original CDs (7.6) and Original MacOS 9.x CD

Everything seems to be in great condition; kid stopped using it last year after replacing it with a FP 15" iMac and HP DeskJet.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Luca
2004-07-20, 20:03
Not much. $50?

2004-07-20, 21:17
So, up for grabs is one PowerBook 145b as is. . . free to anyone who wants to pay the shipping for it. Just PM me.Have you still got it? My Mac Shrine™ would love the addition :)

Wickers
2004-07-20, 22:40
Have you still got it? My Mac Shrine™ would love the addition :)
Someone asked for it and is looking into shipping. . . But you are now next on the list if he desides not to grab it. (it's not etched in stone yet, so your chances are good.) I'll PM you if he does not take it. :)

LoCash
2004-07-21, 02:48
Question.

Where do you people walk at night that leads you past all these garbage piles with computers?

Moogs
2004-07-21, 09:10
Throwing computers in the trash is a bad idea. There's all kinds of toxic shit inside them that is not landfill / water table friendly. Most suburban areas have programs once or twice a year where the refuse and recycling company team up with a local business or mall to provide a place where you can take your old monitors, computers, radios, batteries, etc and they will dispose of them properly.

Wickers
2004-07-21, 10:17
Question.

Where do you people walk at night that leads you past all these garbage piles with computers?

Hehe. . .

The standard of living here in Canada is higher then that of the states. :p

Just around my neighborhood. My friend who lives just a few blocks has found about 5 monitors this year. They all worked. He keeped a 17" for himself, and I sold the rest for him.

ast3r3x
2004-07-21, 10:52
Hehe. . .

The standard of living here in Canada is higher then that of the states. :p

Just around my neighborhood. My friend who lives just a few blocks has found about 5 monitors this year. They all worked. He keeped a 17" for himself, and I sold the rest for him.

Well when they spend all of their money on living standards and not english education ;)

^ I just wrote a fragment with no puncuation:lol:

^ The sentence above this is very similar to the fragment with no punctuation that it talks about.

Wickers
2004-07-21, 12:17
Well when they spend all of their money on living standards and not english education ;)

^ I just wrote a fragment with no puncuation:lol:

^ The sentence above this is very similar to the fragment with no punctuation that it talks about.

Yeah, yeah. . . my browser does not do a spell check as I type, unlike some more privileged members here at AI.org.

PS. AI.org all the way, fuck the AN shit.