PDA

View Full Version : Just saw 20" & 23" Al LCDs at Apple Store

stangmatt66
2004-07-20, 16:45
For all of those that think these LCDs are of poor design, you have to see them in person, they are truely breath taking! I just got back from the South Coast Plaza Apple store and I was WAY impressed. The casings are a perfect match with the G5's!

The 20" LCD is about an inch thick while the 23" is slightly thicker. The left and right ends of the LCDs are white plastic; the birghtness and sleep buttons are identical to the touch sensitive buttons on the 3G iPod and are located on the right side. Imagine a matchbox, the outer case being aluminum, while the inner sliding part is white, that's what these monitors look like. Adjusting tilt of the screen is incredibly easy and takes only one finger like the curent iMac. The single leg doesn't look as horrible as in pictures, although it is a little large, but is the perfect place to store the keyboard when not in use.

The quality compared to the older acyrlic LCDs in the store is amazing, these new LCDs are way brighter and sharper, especially when you compare them to the notebook displays!

Just had to share how impressed I am by them! Any questions?

psmith2.0
2004-07-20, 18:16
Just had to share how impressed I am by them! Any questions?

Yeah, why didn't you just tag this on to the other 7-plus page thread about these very products? :p ;)

Kidding. Good post. I just saw them in real life also, and was very impressed...for all the same reasons you mention.

hmurchison
2004-07-20, 18:26
Yeah the bastards even photograph better than the last ones. The increased brightness is much better.

stangmatt66
2004-07-20, 19:27
Yeah, why didn't you just tag this on to the other 7-plus page thread about these very products? :p ;)

Cause that thread was all about the announcement of the LCDs and everyone complaining about the 'boring' design. This was more of a *review* of the LCDs.

MacUsers
2004-07-20, 19:32
Yes the new displays are SuperCool®

Akumulator
2004-07-20, 22:24
But are they WickedAwesome™?

MacUsers
2004-07-20, 23:40
I think they may just be that too.

DMBand0026
2004-07-21, 02:41
How about (and I can't believe y'all forgot this), Insanely Great®?

Moogs
2004-07-21, 09:11
Liquid Crystal Delights.

;)

SonOfSylvanus
2004-07-21, 14:40
The left and right ends of the LCDs are white plastic

:wow: :wow: :wow:

I NEVER noticed that in any of the dozens of promo photos I have seen. I thought the displays were entirely clad in aluminium! I not sure what I think about that...

:|

stangmatt66, if you see what I wrote in another thread commenting that the displays are all aluminium, ignore it

:o

MacUsers
2004-07-21, 14:45
It doesn't look bad... and the buttons are like iPod 3G buttons

stangmatt66
2004-07-21, 15:10
:wow: :wow: :wow:

I NEVER noticed that in any of the dozens of promo photos I have seen. I thought the displays were entirely clad in aluminium! I not sure what I think about that...

Ya, this was part of the reason why I made this a seperate thread. ALL the promo pics and QTVR of the LCD's on Apple.com are dimmed just enough to make the displays look all aluminum, when, in fact they are not! Not sure if everyone knows this or not. Sneaky Apple!

porter
2004-07-27, 18:52
Hehehe... I saw them today, sexy things they are.

But did you notice that the back of the monitors were warm? It felt like a laptop...

Anybody see any discounts on the older flat panels?

stangmatt66
2004-07-28, 11:24
But did you notice that the back of the monitors were warm? It felt like a laptop...

Went back to see the LCD's again (i'm in love!) and did feel the back, it seems that more than just the back of the LCDs is warm. The whole thing was hot! Hmmmm...as long as it doesn't light my desk on fire...lol

murbot
2004-07-28, 11:43
I checked the thread about the displays, and actually a link that Escher posted a couple of weeks ago here (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=14662#post14662), links to a MacNN member who posted pics of his new display.

Here's the shot showing plastic:

http://homepage.mac.com/waltafalla/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-07-14%2015.05.27%20-0700/Image-469F00F9D5E111D8.jpg

I don't know, looks kind of cool to me. :)

Gabriel
2004-07-28, 13:29
Also note, in the above shot, how well these new screens maintain brightness and color sharpness when viewed from the side.

thedustin
2004-07-29, 00:27
Looks like the top & bottom of the minis.

stingerman
2004-07-29, 01:55
Tricksy Apple, trying to hide the design cues of the new iMac...

wyvern
2004-07-29, 02:38
Just ordered mine yesterday (Wednesday) morning, and it shipped that afternoon, despite the "2-4 weeks" shipping time. Yay for overly conservative shipping estimates! *wipes drool* Can't wait. Personally, I think mine shipped fast because Messiahtosh's iPod was slow, and I did Apple's work for them: flaming him for being stupid. Thanks for being yourself, 'tosh! :D

Gabriel
2004-07-29, 06:47
Tricksy Apple, trying to hide the design cues of the new iMac...

Not to mention the fact that the 4th generation iPod has the aluminium & white look to it also.

Merovingian
2004-07-29, 07:41
Also note, in the above shot, how well these new screens maintain brightness and color sharpness when viewed from the side.

I was just going to post the same comment. It is quite impressive indeed. I suppose you'd expect that after paying top notch dollars for one. I can rotate the arm on my 15" iMac to one side, and the screen goes dim and "yellow", as do most cheaper LCD screens.

As for the controls on the side, they look cool.

Also, to the guy who took the photo, why do you have an iPod and iPod mini? m. :smokey: :D

Escher
2004-07-29, 11:29
I checked the thread about the displays, and actually a link that Escher posted a couple of weeks ago here (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=14662#post14662), links to a MacNN member who posted pics of his new display.

From the number of new hardware pictures posted there, it's clear that the MacNN forums still have singificantly more traffic than AI or AN. I always go to MacNN looking for new product shots. It's not a bad place to get information. It's just not a community like AI or AN.

Gabriel: Have a look at this thread (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44282&perpage=40&pagenumber=2) on AI. It contains two more shots that show the fabulous viewing angle of the new displays -- both vertical and horizontal. Simply fabulous!

Escher

Gabriel
2004-07-29, 14:06
No wonder Steve came across as more than a little taken by them in the Keynote.

psgamer0921
2004-07-29, 18:33

Here's the shot showing plastic:

SNIP

I don't know, looks kind of cool to me. :)
What's that bar at the bottom of the monitor screen? It looks like a windows taskbar

SilentEchoes
2004-07-30, 01:18
Yeah thats actually the first thing I thought when I seen that picture. And thats like a 15-20 degree angle. My CRT is not even that bright at that angle. Kudos Apple.