PDA

View Full Version : $75 for clamshell ibook, should I get it?

usurp
2005-10-17, 14:15
A friend of mine is offering to sell me his orange clamshell ibook for $75. Its 300mhz and has 32MB of RAM.

I am thinking of getting it so i can surf the web from the living room. Will use probably OS 9.2 on it, wouldnt mind using OS10 if it works. Battery doesnt hold a charge so i would need to keep it plugged in. Comes with original box and cds, very clean condition.

Should I get it? Will I be able to install OS10? I also just checked, adding 128MB ram would cost me $29 which isnt allot.

chucker
2005-10-17, 14:18
Panther will run on it, since it has USB. You'd end up with 160 MB of RAM, though, which would be really, really slow.

Luca
2005-10-17, 15:13
OS X will just barely work, but I wouldn't recommend it. The first machine with which I used OS X was a PowerBook G3, 233 MHz. It had a 233 MHz G3 (even slower than the one in that iBook), 160 MB of RAM, a 2 GB hard drive (1 GB smaller than the one in the iBook), and a 14" screen. The biggest area where you'll have problems (other than the generally weak capabilities of the machine) will be the screen. 800x600 is just not enough to use OS X comfortably.

You can feel free to install both 9 and X, and do make sure to install that RAM (it's essential... even in OS 9 you want at least 128 MB). But you'll probably get frustrated with OS X and end up using OS 9 more. I'm not sure it's even worth $75, with the dead battery.

staph
2005-10-17, 15:28
It'd run Linux quite handily with the extra memory… whack Ubuntu and Firefox on it, and your loungeroom surfing problem is solved.

Provided you can deal with Linux, of course. ;)

Clamshell iBook batteries (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook/battery/ibook-g3-clamshell/)

And I'm sure those machines can take 256MB memory modules… maybe even 512. You might want to check Mactracker.

FFL
2005-10-17, 15:30
Before you go planning on exactly what you would install, what is the hard drive capacity?

If it's less than 10 GB (I am thinking it's a 4 GB), you would have to remove most options and print drivers and languages when installing OS X, just to get it to fit.

Otherwise, I think it would be a toy worth having, especially if you are happy surfing in OS 9.

PB PM
2005-10-17, 15:33
They are good little machines. Just tell OSX not to install the extra print drivers and langauges (who uses them anyway?) and it will save a ton of space. If all you want it for is surfing the net, that should be great.

usurp
2005-10-17, 16:22
i think it has a 3.2GB drive. All i want to do is surf the web, thats all. I also dont want to spend too much money. Now since i will be using the ibook mostly in the living room i figured I would just keep the power plug next to the couch.

another thing is my wifes 12inch powerbook poweradapter is a bit messed up and a new one is not cheap. so i figured worse comes to worse she could use the old ibooks power adapter, it would work right?

linux on the ibook?? sounds interesting, i wanted a linux machine in the house so i could connect to my tivo with.

i found 256MB ram but it was like 100$. 128 is only 29$ which is decent.

The 20th anniversary mac I have is really slow, I am hoping this will be atleast faster then that. The problem I have with os9 is no firefox. I would love to browse with firefox so if I do end up installing osx or linux its just so i could use firefox. i dont need ANY other software (maybe just adium) installed on the ibook. I will still do my main surfing and email checking from my powermac, this will just be a web surfing mac in the living room.

I called my friend he will pass by tomorrow with the laptop, will check it out and probably go with it. I was checking ebay for prices awhile ago and seems $75 is pretty good deal.

Luca
2005-10-17, 16:33
The power adapter used by the old iBook is not compatible with any 12" PowerBook. The connectors aren't even the same size.

If you buy just 128 MB of RAM for it, you'll basically be limited to OS 9. Either put up with using OS 9, or spend the extra cash to get 256 MB. Believe me, OS X is going to suck on that thing even with 256 MB of RAM. With only an 800x600 screen, a slow processor, a tiny hard drive... no way. OS 9 is made for that machine. You have to decide whether you'd rather have a fast, responsive OS, or one with a lot more features that also happens to be extremely slow and frustrating to use. It's up to you but I would suggest the former.

The main problem is the availability of web browsers for OS 9. There are basically none. They don't work with a lot of sites, and they're usually really slow and bloated as well. But you still have options... Internet Explorer for OS 9 isn't nearly as bad as IE for OS X, especially when you compare it to the other browsers available. And I think you can also get Netscape 7. The last OS 9-compatible version of Mozilla is the nearly-prehistoric version 1.2.1. Then there's iCab, which is actually still being developed, but it also has some major suckage going on.

This is a real dilemma for these early G3s. They're just barely fast enough to run OS X, but they're often frustratingly slow. But there's so little software available for OS 9 that you only want to run it if you are forced to do so.

torifile
2005-10-17, 16:45
Linux. It doesn't cost anything and should be more than adequate for surfing. I'd take a Linux install over an OS 9 one any day for doing web stuff. You can't get a decent browser on OS 9.

PB PM
2005-10-17, 16:55
I found 256MB ram but it was like 100$. 128 is only 29$ which is decent.
I called my friend he will pass by tomorrow with the laptop, will check it out and probably go with it. I was checking ebay for prices awhile ago and seems $75 is pretty good deal.

Go for the 256 RAM, (you can get for $29 at OWC) but OSX needs at least 256 to run well. I had an old Wallstreet 266Mhz Powerbook G3 with 128MB RAM, and it was fine for just surfing the web in OS 10.2.8.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iBooks-PowerBooks/G3-iBook/

Luca
2005-10-17, 17:01
There you go, torifile. I knew Mac Linux had a use! I can't see any reason to use it if you have OS X available, but for these older machines, it's nice to have recently updated software combined with a non-demanding, responsive operating system.

staph
2005-10-17, 23:42
If you're friend's coming around for you to check it out, maybe you should download the Ubuntu Live CD (http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.10/) so you can check it out without installing it first.

NosferaDrew
2005-10-18, 00:25
It's Tangerine BTW, not Orange. :)

My sister is still using the one I "loaned" her five years ago.
It's still going strong.

usurp
2005-10-18, 02:49
ok thanks allot for the comments. i dont have a problem with using OS9 except for the browser issue. OSX I am sure will be slow and sluggish which is gonna cause me to hate the ibook. This is why I am going to try and install Linux on it. Am downloading the Ubuntu cd now to give it a go when my friend passes by.

i am disappointed about the poweradapter part, for some reason i thought it would be backward compatible with the current ibooks and powerbooks..

anyway, will keep u guys posted on what happens and will take pictures if i decide to get the "tangerine" ibook :)

Luca
2005-10-18, 07:29
Ubuntu might be a bit demanding. I've heard that it's not as "Lite" as other versions of Linux. I'm not sure what to tell you to install, though. I'm no Linux guru, I've only heard that from others. I think Yellow Dog Linux is another Mac-compatible distro you can try. It's older and probably less demanding.

Live CDs are awesome though. You should definitely try a few distros.

usurp
2005-10-19, 02:13
http://static.flickr.com/25/53823504_3f8c0aadcf.jpg

i got the ibook yesterday. Its very clean and in great condition. the battery doesnt hold a charge at all, thats the only downside.

the machine is running pretty quick, i was expecting it to run slow like my twentieth anniversary mac but it runs allot quicker. 32MB of ram is definetly not enough. Took me around 8 minutes to open mozilla! Internet Explorer runs quick though. The screen is great was expecting it to be crap for some reason. 800x600 in OS9 isn't bad at all.

i tried running the Live version of Ubuntu and it would run, gave me a bunch of compression errors. Worked when I ran it on a powerbook though. Will try working on it again tonight. So far i love it.

tman87
2005-10-20, 15:42
hey i used a powerbook 333mhz with panther and I guarentee it ran faster than os 9 did. Not to mention os 9 freezes whereas os x has force quit. Just don't plan on multi tasking too much. Mine had 192MB of ram and it's good enough for websurfing. I have heard linux runs good on slow macs from my cousin. You can't go very wrong, and youll probably use it more than you think.

Macabron
2005-10-21, 00:13
I had a 466 clamshell, with 320Mb of Ram and it was a good all around machine, it was my main computer for almost 4 years until I sold it and got myself a 1.8 DP power Mac. Right now it is runing tiger and the guy who bought it installed a 512 MB chip, and he is happy with it.

usurp
2005-10-21, 03:57
well i just placed an order for a 128mb ram stick for $29
i didnt want to pay more for ram since this isnt reallly gonna be my main mac, just a tv room mac. i have tried to install linux but it needs 128mb ram and i only got 32 at the moment. OSX is tempting to install and i probably will first before linux just to test it out. i wont be multitasking because i wont be using anything else except for firefox.

one thing i have noticed though, damn this ibook is heavy!!

usurp
2005-11-15, 03:13
just an update for anyone who is interested. I found a 38$ 256MB memory stick by kingston. It wasnt the one they were recommending (they recommended a 79$ 256mb stick) for my ibook but the specs seemed similar so i orderd it. I installed it yesterday and i quickly so speed improvements in OS9.

I then proceeded to install Linux (unbuntu) and after over an hour of installation it finished. I played with it for a bit, the OS was pretty responsive but there were some weird bugs and the whole thing felt strange (CTRL T to open new tab instead of Command T)

So I decided to try OSX. I figured worst case didnt work would go back to OS9.

Well to my surprise OSX installed and it is very usable. I have 288MB ram and a 300mhz processor but the OS is responsive and browsing using firefox is perfect. I have a 3GB harddisk the total OSX install took around 1.5GB, i left out itunes, iphoto, printer drivers.. etc.. cuz all i need the ibook for is firefox and msn. Pretty cool so far..

Kyros
2005-11-16, 19:58
Awesome, I plan on doing a similar thing with a 333 mhz Lombard. I want the ability for 2 batteries, and was going for a Pismo, but I found a good deal for a Lombard first. Probably picking it up tomorrow 175 Canadian dollars, but no battery or ac adapter. Still, it's less than 150 US dollars and I have an adapter lying around anyway. With 2 high cap batteries from OWC, it should run for over 10 hours :). I really want to upgrade the hard drive (it's 4 gb right now), but even small drives are more expensive than I thought they would be. Later on I might look into getting a processor upgrade, but basically as long as starcraft works I'm happy.

PB PM
2005-11-16, 20:11
You should be aware its almost impossible to get upgrade cards for Lombard Powerbooks. I had one for a while and wanted to do so, but they don't make them anymore and nobody seems to be selling old ones. Most likely because there aren't any new ones. :( You can get upgrades for Wallstreet Powerbooks and Pismos, but not for Lombards, I guess they weren't very popular. If you do get it be cautious since the Lombards had cooling issues, like the fact that the cooling fan almost never comes on, even when running at over 70C!

Kyros
2005-11-16, 21:20
Thanks for the response, I'll still get it, though, the price is too nice :).

PB PM
2005-11-16, 22:36
Once you buy a good HD for it (at least 40GB) its around $200 US, not a bad deal, but then again its a 333Mhz model, where as mine was the 400Mhz model.

iDorf
2005-11-16, 23:20
Have fun with the Tangerine iBook! I love my Lime iBook. Yea - they are heavy. Took mine out for a field trip the other day - geeee - it's a beast! The screen at 800x600 is not bad at all - pretty nice actually. You just gotta get the desktop to match the iBook's color. I know your pic is with OS 9 - but get a nice match to the body. They are works of art!
http://www.karlw.citymaker.com/i/PICS/Museum_iBook2.jpg

Kyros
2005-11-18, 17:41
Once you buy a good HD for it (at least 40GB) its around $200 US, not a bad deal, but then again its a 333Mhz model, where as mine was the 400Mhz model.
It turns out I have a 20 gb drive lying around already anyway, which is enough for me (lived on that much in my cube for a long time), although I probably will buy a new power chord for it since the one I have is in pretty bad shape, so it will end up around $200 anyway, but it's from a local dealer, so I get to see it in person and they are reputable.

Radarbob
2005-11-21, 14:38
I use an original iBook running OS 10.2.8...

The Specs
300MHz G3 and 4MB video ram (standard issue)
40 GB drive (upgraded from 3.2GB original)
544MB memory (32MB internal + 512MB memory stick)
OS 10.2.8
OS 9.2 (a separate OS install, this is not "classic mode")

Yes, this iBook WILL take a 512MB stick - I don't care what the official Apple line is.

W/ 2 OS installs, all my files, iTunes library (don't do photos) the drive is about 1/2 full.

Running OS X w/ the original memory and drive is, for practical purposes, simply impossible.

The Experience
You gotta accecpt the limitations. I do know what speed is like. We have a top-of-the-line gaming PC at home and web pages load at the blink of an eye. So I just mentally downshift when I use my iBook. I rather have a slowish Macintosh than a blazingly fast PC any day.

OS X is just gonna be slower thant OS 9 (which is slower than OS 8.6, which is slower than 8.0....). No CD burning. USB 1.1. But ethernet and modem are as good as on any new iBook.

I launch all the apps I want. Plenty of memory. I'm not seeing a "page swap" slowdown.

I'm finding that more and more web pages/sites over time do not render properly or even load on an OS9 browser - specifically IE 5.2 (I think it's dot-two).

Safari is the fastest OS X browser I've seen, so I use it 90% of the time. The other 10% is Firefox. It's good enough - been using it for about 2 years now. Coupled w/ my broadband at home it is acceptable. For example I watch movie trailers from the Apple/quicktime web page, no problem.

OSX mail client is insufferably slow & would try the patience of Job (as in the Bible guy, not Steve). I use Eudora in classic mode instead. I also use Eudora in OS 9 - both versions use the same files.

scrolling through a file list using the arrow keys is sluggish. I simply aviod doing it.

Palm OS desktop uses separate files for the OS 9 / X versions. Gotta pick one.

MS office 2000 runs well in classic mode.

iTunes runs just fine. I don't use the "ooh, look at the pretty picture" mode. It's a bit slow but doesn't impact playback if I really want to use it.

Don't have an iPod - music file xfer at USB 1.1 speed would be agonizing I imagine - and Apple does not officially support USB 1.1 w/ iPod.

800x600 screen is no showstopper. It's a laptop, after all.

Airport works well. Some have reported less-than-spec range on their clamshell iBooks, however. Mine *did*. Now that more of my neighbors have wireless I can get online anywhere in my house!

Believe it our not the word processor released for OS 7, WriteNow, will run! How cool is that?

Further upgrades
IMHO going to OS 10.3 (Panther) or higher would be a waste of money. My trusty iBook simply doesn't have the video oomph, CPU & buss speed, and velocity engine. I'd love to have expose, but I sense that it would simply not perform acceptably. I've heard Panther performs better than Jaguar, but I'm not plunking down dough to find out.

arnoct
2005-11-21, 14:48
Don't have an iPod - music file xfer at USB 1.1 speed would be agonizing I imagine - and Apple does not officially support USB 1.1 w/ iPod.

It is agonizing. Found that out the hard way--my PC only has USB 1.1 while my laptop has USB 2.0. All my music is on the PC. Turned out it was faster to transfer the files onto the laptop first than it was to put stuff on the iPod directly from the PC.

However, the iPod still works with USB 1.1 :P

Radarbob
2005-11-21, 20:54
It isHowever, the iPod still works with USB 1.1 :PThat's good to know. I never got a straight answer from the folks at the local Apple store; but they did mention the 15% restocking fee if it didn't!

usurp
2005-11-22, 02:06
Radarbob 512MB of ram must rock. with me 10.3 was running alot faster the OS9.2
But I was trying to use OS9.2 to surf the web and I guess its IE's fault for making my whole 9.2 experience with my clamshell miserable.

One thing I hate about the clamshell is the location of the trackpad button. its right at the edge so if you are lying down on the sofa and you have your knees up like this

o__^_

with the ibook resting on your knees while you type, your stomach keeps pressing the trackpad button. Very unpractical.

Luca
2005-11-22, 03:07
However, it also means that if you're holding it any other way, it's more convenient because it's receptive to pressing at an angle, not just straight down. That was something that always bothered me about Apple's trackpads since the TiBook and white iBook... they only seem to respond if you press straight down. If you hit them at any kind of an angle, it doesn't work.

Radarbob
2005-11-22, 20:27
Radarbob 512MB of ram must rock. Yeah, it's pretty good. I knew my trusty iBook would be slow enough and I didn't want limited memory to contribute to the problem. I save time by not shutting down apps to make room for yet another one, and once running they can get all the memory they want.

with me 10.3 was running alot faster the OS9.2
I'm I reading you right? Are you saying that OS 10.3 is runing faster than OS 9.2 on a 300MHz iBook?

But I was trying to use OS9.2 to surf the web and I guess its IE's fault for making my whole 9.2 experience with my clamshell miserable.Yeah, I avoided IE until Netscape 7 came out. NS7 seems to be greatly bloated - quite sluggish. I think NS7 want's to be everything - browser, email client... and trying to be real pretty, I think makes screen rendering slower too.

One thing I hate about the clamshell is the location of the trackpad button. its right at the edge so if you are lying down on the sofa and you have your knees up like this

o__^_

with the ibook resting on your knees while you type, your stomach keeps pressing the trackpad button. Very unpractical.Man, I love the location and shape of the trackpad button on the clamshell. For me, the thumb naturally falls on "the back" of the button, where it's curving down. I'm pressing in as much as down. It's very comfortable. The new iBook button is a striking, and unwelcome contrast

usurp
2005-11-23, 02:28
Yeah 10.3 is faster then OS9.2 and unbuntu. But all i am using it for is firefox and adium. I haven't tried anything else yet but so far the OS has been very responsive and i only had one choke when I visited thesun.co.uk and they had this flash overlay crap something that crashed my firefox..

Radarbob
2005-11-23, 22:40
Yo, usurp! Thanks for the Panther tip. Would *never* have thought a newer OS w/ more features would show improved performance. And I just assumed expose would be useless w/out more video ram

I just installed OS X.3.2 Sweet!

It really is faster than 10.2. dunno about faster than OS 9 though.

Expose works nicely. It doesn't feel sluggish AT ALL.

Email client is definitely faster, especially noticeable when deleting messages. I'm noticing faster scrolling in finder lists, faster scrolling in Safari.

Expose is sweet! No more Windoze envy just because it can "clear the decks" to reveal the desktop.

Man, imagine.. This iBook started out on OS8.6. Went to OS 9, 9.1, 9.2, OS 10.1, 10.2 and now 10.3 Try that on a PeeC!

BarracksSi
2005-11-24, 00:09
Yo, usurp! Thanks for the Panther tip. Would *never* have thought a newer OS w/ more features would show improved performance. And I just assumed expose would be useless w/out more video ram

Man, imagine.. This iBook started out on OS8.6. Went to OS 9, 9.1, 9.2, OS 10.1, 10.2 and now 10.3 Try that on a PeeC!
Dude, I used to tell you that people were doing well with 10.3 on the old clamshells.

I still have to get it for mine (3 gigs, but 544 MB), but good to see that you've finally gotten yours up to speed.

Mac+
2005-11-24, 00:39
Just chiming in - have you noticed how much more responsive Preview is in Panther!?! That was "the" icing on the cake for me. :D

PB PM
2005-11-24, 01:18
When I upgraded my 400Mhz G3 Powerbook, I was also shocked by the speed difference between 10.2 and 10.3, to bad it died two weeks after the upgrade. Thanks to that thou I had an good reason to get a new ibook. ;)

usurp
2005-11-24, 01:39
I was planning on installing Puma first on my clamshell since I figured because its old it would be lighter and quicker but then i read somewhere online while researching that 10.3 would actually run faster and even faster then panther so I decided to give it a shot. I wish i knew I could install 512MB of ram though...

Robo
2005-11-24, 02:06
Dang, iDorf! You're so lucky for having the Key Lime iBook...it's a rare color! I remember seeing it on Apple's online store, against the stark white background, and thinking it looked ugly - but in "real life," against, you know, other colors, it looks great.