PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard and Mouse

Meltedbutter421
2005-10-18, 14:27
Ok... Im in the market for a keyboard and mouse for my powerbook when i use it on a desk... i really like the idea of getting the wired apple keyboard and mighty mouse... i would go for a wireless, but i dont like all the bad stories i hear about them. i know about the mighty mouse jumping to the top left or whatever of the screen, so is there any chance that they might update that say by christmas time? any chance updating the wireless keyboards? also what do you think they could do to help the wirless keyboards besides making it more battery efficient and better connectivity (ive heard how the connection just jumps out at times)... im kinna set on buying an apple keyboard and mouse... any ideas?

RowdyScot
2005-10-18, 14:47
I've personally never had such a huge problem with the Mighty Mouse. It does jump every once in awhile, but really only like once a week if that.

Luca
2005-10-18, 15:02
Don't bother waiting for a Mighty Mouse update. It won't happen. And I wouldn't recommend the Mighty Mouse anyway, since it behaves really strangely when right-clicking. You have to lift your left finger off the mouse before it'll register a right-click.

Personally, I think you should avoid Apple keyboards and mice. They're not really bad, but they're not very good either, and they're way overpriced. I can understand you wanting something that matches the look of an Apple keyboard, though, especially with the placement of the keys. You don't want to have to stare at an ugly Windows key on your Mac, right?

The good news is that you still have plenty of options for input devices that look great and have the Mac layout. I'm using a MacAlly iceKey, which feels far better than the Apple keyboard and only costs a little more. My mouse is a Logitech MX1000... admittedly it is gray and dark turquoise, not exactly a Mac-like look, but it's an amazing mouse. If you really want a white mouse, you can get a good looking one from MacAlly.

I'd recommend non-Bluetooth wireless peripherals. They track better than Bluetooth ones, cost less, and are more compatible.

Bryson
2005-10-18, 15:14
I have a Mighty Mouse, and although I wasn't sure to start with, to be honest, I quite like it now. I've never had it jump across the screen, not ever. The scroll ball takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it's fine. I can't reach the side buttons very well, but to be honest, I don't use them! It's not as bad as people say.

Yontsey
2005-10-18, 15:15
ill be honest with ya...i have a bluetooth keyboard for my PB and i love it. i bought it in july and the batteries are running strong so you dont have to worry about that, at least from my experience. and there is no lag time and it just takes a second or two once you turn it on for it to get picked up by the computer itself...i love it compared to a wired keybaord plus it frees up a usb slot for ya...id say give it a chance, even try ebay, thats where i got mine

judeobscure
2005-10-18, 15:25
Avoid Mighty Mouse. I bought one when they first came out and it stopped scrolling downward after a few weeks use. Apple told me to exchange it for another one and that one developed the same issue yesterday. It seems to be a rather common problem according to the message boards.

Koodari
2005-10-18, 15:51
Apple stuff isn't bad, but I have been really happy with this (http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/en/hhkeyboard/images/200B.jpg) and wanted to mention it. Details here (http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/en/hhkeyboard/). It's the best keyboard I have used. I paid twice the going price in the US, and if a freak accident destroyed it, I'd buy a second one in a heartbeat. (Would be a hell of an accident though.. this thing weighs as much as a fullsize keyboard, and is totally rigid.) Like the keyboards purpose built for Apple, this one has an USB hub and two downstream ports.

I can see the appeal of wireless if you have a screen on the big side, and a comfy chair you could sit back in and use keyboard in your lap... or a really big (second?) screen that you can use at couch distance. In that case the options are more limited. Apple apparently makes one of the best wireless keyboards. There is a decent one in Logitech DiNovo mouse+keyboard set, which is pretty expensive though, and when I tried a friend's used one it had a relatively cheap feel to it. I'd love to hear about other good wireless keyboards or sets.

For mouse I have Logitech MX310, which is excellent. If I went to buy a new one, I'd probably go for a more "ergo" Logitech model such as the MX510, but really even the basic Optical Wheel Mouse works well and I could live with it. I haven't tried Microsoft mice in a while (after their first couple opticals), but never liked them over Logitech.

Luca
2005-10-18, 16:06
The old beige MS mice that you see on every Win95 PC were pretty dang good. Sturdy and excellent tracking for a ball mouse. Their recent ones are really bad though. They're cheap and super lightweight, in a bad way. When I use one I'm always afraid I'm going to crush the thing with my hand. I probably could crush one if I really tried. The same can't be said for the Logitech mice I've used.

Logitech mice, especially their wireless ones, tend to be very heavy. But they're extremely sturdy and well made. They are comfortable and track well. I really can't ask for anything more from them other than good software. Logitech's software is pretty bad, but at least it works.

The Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2 looks really cool. It has exactly as many keys as you need, no more. And since it's meant for people who are constantly switching platforms, they've made it Mac compatible as well. If I didn't already have an excellent keyboard that I love (albeit a HUGE one), I'd be all over it.

PB PM
2005-10-18, 16:26
The good news is that you still have plenty of options for input devices that look great and have the Mac layout. I'm using a MacAlly iceKey, which feels far better than the Apple keyboard and only costs a little more. My mouse is a Logitech MX1000... admittedly it is gray and dark turquoise, not exactly a Mac-like look, but it's an amazing mouse. If you really want a white mouse, you can get a good looking one from MacAlly.

Yup, I like MacAlly stuff as well. I have the iceKey board and the Dotmouse, which other than the bright blue light (what a pain) is great, for such a low price too.

Meltedbutter421
2005-10-18, 17:43
ok... i dont seem to like any of the keyboards that you have all sugested so far... i do although seem to like the logitech mx518 (even though i really want that wireless g7... cant seem to spring $100 for a mouse, or even 70 for the g5) the only thing i dont like about the mx518 is that theres no side scrolling... thats one thing that i really do like about the mighty mouse... maybe i should just spring for the 30 inch cinema display and i wont ever have to worry about side scrollling :P

Koodari
2005-10-18, 19:08
ok... i dont seem to like any of the keyboards that you have all sugested so far...Can you be a little more specific? What features or characteristics do you want or not want?

Meltedbutter421
2005-10-19, 14:42
i want a full sized keyboard that looks good... the apple keyboard just looks amazing... not too expensive, i find $30 for the apple a pretty good price... i wouldnt mind paying like 40 tho

Luca
2005-10-19, 15:12
The Apple keyboard is not good! I realize it's not very expensive and it looks good, and it's an Apple, but looks aren't everything! Really, you should open your mind a bit. I was not happy with my Apple keyboard and I ended up spending another $45 on a MacAlly iceKey (which I love). I'm glad I bought my iceKey. It's an awesome keyboard. You should get one of those instead of an Apple one.

I'm serious. It's up to you which one you buy, but the Apple Keyboard is simply a poor-quality keyboard. You want something good, which is why I recommend the iceKey. It's so much better than the Apple.

Meltedbutter421
2005-10-19, 15:15
on macally.com they only have a blue tooth key up... it only says btkeyboard... thats not the iceKey is it?

PB PM
2005-10-19, 15:48
No, the iceKey is USB.

jer2eydevil88
2005-10-19, 16:13
I use the mac keyboard with my windows pc and its actually an amazing keyboard... having gotten it for free and all...

Buy an MX510 for a mouse and never look back..... it may not match in look but its the best quality mouse/price on the market..

Brad
2005-10-19, 18:00
The Apple keyboard is not good! I realize it's not very expensive and it looks good, and it's an Apple, but looks aren't everything! Really, you should open your mind a bit. I was not happy with my Apple keyboard and I ended up spending another $45 on a MacAlly iceKey (which I love). I'm glad I bought my iceKey. It's an awesome keyboard. You should get one of those instead of an Apple one.

I'm serious. It's up to you which one you buy, but the Apple Keyboard is simply a poor-quality keyboard. You want something good, which is why I recommend the iceKey. It's so much better than the Apple.
I have to second this.

While the Apple keyboard may be better than most cheap-o generic PC keyboards, it's certainly not the best option available. Heck, it's not even the best among Apple's past keyboards. The iceKey that Luca mentions is much better.