PDA

View Full Version : lcd tv?

shell
2005-10-20, 23:09
I needed a notebook for mobility and so I bought the 12" PowerBook, but I also don't want to be restricted to the small screen size at all times. At my office that's not a problem as I have an external monitor. I am planning to buy an lcd TV for my home anyway, so as long as I am I might as well be able to use the TV as an external display for my laptop. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup and if it works out fairly well for them? I'm looking for a modest sized screen, something in the 19-25" range, does anyone know a good place to buy one?

DMBand0026
2005-10-20, 23:26
You'll need a computer display that can double as a TV. Most TVs don't have the resolution you'll need to be able to use it as a display. A lot of people around here are big fans of Dell's (http://www.dell.com) displays. I believe some double as TVs too. If you look for rebates (search around DealMac (http://www.dealmac.com) you can usually find one or two) you can get the 20" widescreen for around $800.

Reid
2005-10-20, 23:32
I saw a 19" widescreen Westinghouse TV at BestBuy for about $500. Resolution was 1440x900, and I'm pretty sure it had DVI input. The screen was surprisingly bright and clear, even compared to the more well-known brands sitting around it. I'd been thinking about getting one to go with a Mac mini, but then they had to trot out those hot new iMacs and I'm just going around in circles with myself...

shell
2005-10-21, 03:21
You'll need a computer display that can double as a TV. Most TVs don't have the resolution you'll need to be able to use it as a display.

That's true, I see alot of the cheaper models are 600x800 reolution, which doesn't even look good for TV, let alone a monitor. On another note, I also heard that DVI only caries video, not audio. Is that the case? I guess its not big deal if that doesn't, just another thing I need to hook up if I want sound (which I may not all the time).

MCQ
2005-10-21, 08:05
Yes, DVI carries video only.

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-10-21, 10:28
Hence the name Digital Visual Interface.

Maciej
2005-10-21, 10:49
I have a 46" DLP in my dorm room that takes output from my Powerbook. Its sufficiently big, however I fear the resolution wouldn't be better than whatever the HDstandard is?

I haven't given it a try yet, maybe tonight when I get home.