PDA

View Full Version : Links defaulting to Explorer...help?

psmith2.0
2004-05-17, 08:46
Lately - within the past week or two, it seems - when I click on a link in an e-mail or anywhere outside Safari (in a PDF, for instance), Internet Explorer will launch.

I don't use IE (but have it installed, just in case Safari has trouble with a site). Thing is, seems that before when I'd click a link in an e-mail message, that page/site would just open up in Safari. Now it doesn't.

Where do I go/what do I do to make Safari the end-all/be-all browser of choice to open any links I may click on in an e-mail, PDF, etc.?

I'm running Panther with the very latest updates. Use Safari and Mail for browsing and e-mail. Am I just dense and looking right past the answer somewhere? I just want Explorer to quit launching any time I click a link in Mail. I'm trying to think back to when this first started and if it coincided with any sort of Apple update.

Go easy...it's been a long weekend. I realize the answer it going to be painfully obvious and I'm going to feel like a real bonehead...

:D

alcimedes
2004-05-17, 08:52
no, you're not dense.

this is something Apple did that was very MS like, which i wasn't very impressed about.

you have to use Safari to set your default browser.

Go Preferences, then General. you should be able to set your default browser there.

psmith2.0
2004-05-17, 09:12
Thank you. I'll do it when I get home. I knew it had to be something "right there", and wouldn't you know it...I probably skipped right over that, just not thinking.

alcimedes
2004-05-17, 09:30
well, it really shouldn't even be in Safari. what do i do if i chuck Safari? how do i set my default web browser now? but oh well, that'll be in Tiger i'm sure. :)

Defiant
2004-05-17, 09:37
well, it really shouldn't even be in Safari. what do i do if i chuck Safari? how do i set my default web browser now? but oh well, that'll be in Tiger i'm sure. :)Interestingly enough, OmniWeb has the feature to set the default browser too. Hehe. :D
But you're right, it's not the best move from Apple regarding Safari.

thuh Freak
2004-05-17, 10:49
i think theres a way to do it from sysprefs. internet settings or something. i'm not in front of a mac, so i'm hazy on details. i think it was under an internet section, and possibly involved a drop down with 'Web' as the proper item to select.

FFL
2004-05-17, 10:54
i think theres a way to do it from sysprefs. internet settings or something. i'm not in front of a mac, so i'm hazy on details. i think it was under an internet section, and possibly involved a drop down with 'Web' as the proper item to select. Ahh, you silly Freak... :cool:
That was exactly how it worked in Jaguar, but Internet disappeared from System Prefs in Panther.

psmith2.0
2004-05-17, 12:56
Yeah, that's where my problem stemmed from...I kept approaching it from a system-level standpoint, instead of looking in Safari. Duh. :)

thuh Freak
2004-05-17, 14:38
whoa. theres a new version of macosx? :o i better crawl back under my rock.

Defiant
2004-05-17, 15:24
Yeah, that's where my problem stemmed from...I kept approaching it from a system-level standpoint, instead of looking in Safari. Duh. :)But, as alcimedes pointed out, this was also totally right for you to look there. :)whoa. theres a new version of macosx? :o i better crawl back under my rock.Hush hush! ;)