PDA

View Full Version : I have a networking issue...

oldmacfan
2004-07-22, 00:30
I need to make my Mac and PC talk to each other so I can transfer some files. I did this once before with this router, and I can't seem to duplicate it.

Mac is 10.2.8

PC is XP Pro with all updates.

DMBand0026
2004-07-22, 00:56
Set up an FTP connection between the two. Go into "system preferences" on your Mac, than into the "sharing" pane and turn on Windows Sharing or FTP sharing and read the information that comes up under the list of sharing preferences. It will tell you where other users can access your computer.

That should get the job done if the Windows box doesn't automatically show up in your "Network" window. Good luck.

Gargoyle
2004-07-22, 02:22
You have to make sure that both computers are on the same subnet. If they get thier IP addresses from the router, they should be fine.

On the PC, click start->run and then type "cmd" in the box. In the DOS window, type "ipconfig /all" and make a mental note of the IP address. (its probably something like 192.168.1.2.

On the Mac, goto your network prefs and select the network you are using (Ethernet or Airport, for example) and then click the TCP/IP button. Your mac should have an IP address similar to your PC and a subnet mask the same.

Then do what DMBand said! :D

spiff
2004-07-22, 14:18
The PC should come up in the network box. I think you have to have the firewall off in windows XP for it to come up.

I have a PC and Mac networked together in my house also, I'm running panther though. I have to keep the firewall off on the PC so I can transfer files and print to the printer hooked up to the PC, which I don't like because with all of XP's vulnerabilities I think it's a good idea to keep the firewall on.

You should be able to open a port on the PC to get it to work but I've never had any luck. Does anyone know what port to open up on the PC so you can keep the firewall on and still do those two things?

oldmacfan
2004-07-22, 22:42
Just got home and trying the suggestions.

thanx

FFL
2004-07-22, 22:50
I suppose if you're using a broadband router, you can just disconnect its WAN port while the PC has its firewall open and its delicate bits swinging in the wind, and then reconnect when your files are transferred.

Nothing beats SneakerNet and a USB thumb drive, though.

The PC should come up in the network box. I think you have to have the firewall off in windows XP for it to come up.

I have a PC and Mac networked together in my house also, I'm running panther though. I have to keep the firewall off on the PC so I can transfer files and print to the printer hooked up to the PC, which I don't like because with all of XP's vulnerabilities I think it's a good idea to keep the firewall on.

You should be able to open a port on the PC to get it to work but I've never had any luck. Does anyone know what port to open up on the PC so you can keep the firewall on and still do those two things?

oldmacfan
2004-07-22, 23:13
It is done, and the firewall is back up. I needed to back up my iTunes. Sorry no burner on my original TiBook. I put Jag on it and my external burner and it refused to work any more in Jag. Oh well thanks guys.