PDA

View Full Version : iTMS: you can browse the foreign stores, but you can't buy.

porter
2004-07-15, 21:56
OK, so I upgraded iTunes and I started browsing on the UK site, found a song I like and found out that I couldn't buy the song because my account is only for the US store- is there anyway to to buy a song on a different iTMS?

HOM
2004-07-15, 21:59
No.

I wonder if you could authorize a copy of iTunes to play a European song.

Hobbes
2004-07-15, 22:27
I believe you need an account with a credit card no. in the country you want to buy a song from.

hmurchison
2004-07-16, 01:34
*cough* Poisoned *cough*

http://gottsilla.net/

DMBand0026
2004-07-16, 01:37
*cough* *cough*

DON'T STEAL MUSIC!!!

*cough* *cough*

hmurchison
2004-07-16, 02:18
Emphasis added.

found a song I like and found out that I couldn't buy the song because my account is only for the US store- is there anyway to to buy a song on a different iTMS?

I cannot and will not support a system that sets up barriers to commerce that make absolutely no sense. This artist wants to play music and sell it too. If this consumers's money is no good to the distributor then I can't fault him for obtaining the song in less eithical ways. I don't like pimps, and that's exactly what the music distributors are.

chucker
2004-07-16, 06:01
Buying the song from a different store would be breaking the law. These songs are only licensed for the country they are sold in.

iMeowbot
2004-07-16, 06:14
Imports are one of the few things that are nice about the traditional recording business. The royalties & all get paid when the stock is purchased, before it gets shipped abroad, so everyone's basically happy. iTMS is licensing directly, so more attention has to be paid to those details :\

porter
2004-07-16, 06:17
What are the barriers holding Apple and the recording companies back?
If we can't buy, what the hell is the point of going to different iTMS stores? The potential for making money is huge- there is no extra distribution, marketing, promotion, or any extra costs for that matter for the parties involved. You put a song on iTMS and if people like it, they buy it and get charged their respective iTMS price.

When iTMS Japan comes out, they better have this feature- do you know how much money they could make off of the anime and japanese pop music fans? There is such a big subculture here in the states for that stuff... do this and I guarantee you those people will seriously take a second look at a Mac for their next computer. Hell, I can think of a few people who, if Apple did this today, who would trade their computer in right now for a Mac.

Personally I do think that Apple wants iTMS to be truly international so you can buy from anywhere in the world, but it is probably still in discusion with the recording companies. Why else have that feature to switch iTMSs? It's like having a DVD player that you can switch region codes on but can only play DVDs from the region you live in. Utterly worthless.

hmurchison
2004-07-16, 11:04
What are the barriers holding Apple and the recording companies back?
If we can't buy, what the hell is the point of going to different iTMS stores?

The barriers, as you see, are artificially constructed by the distributors. They wish to control distribution in such a way that if Apple wanted worldwide sales they would likely have to pay higher licensing costs. DVDs are the same way with region encoding(oops just read your blurb on DVDs). This type of scenario enables the distributor to make maximum profts but what about artist that they claim to want to help?

Let's put it like this for music neophytes. The benefit of going with a Major Label(ML) is distribution. Today you go with a ML if you have goals of being played on clear channel radio stations or MTV. If your music style isn't once that is likely to be played on the radio or MTV then you may as well stay indie. iTMS should be able to liberate this users. Think about how great music is in Eur ...it's likely because %25 of the top groups are Indie. Now look at the US...our music sucks because Indie is what less than %10

Apple should have negotiated "Virtual Import" pricing for tracks. I'd be willing to pay more for the ability to buy some of these tracks.

Oh "this" is funny.

DMB doesn't like iTunes (http://www.nancies.org/news/691/)

DMB intends to start selling their albums through on-line music services, but that they are, unusually, not considering iTunes Music Store. This is presumably because Apple requires the sale of each track individually, which conflicts with the band's belief that each album is a work unto itself,

Riiiiiiight Dave. You know I just happened to listen to your albums and thought to myself, "man, I haven't heard a concept album like this since Pink Floyd" :lol: Wake me up when you're off the pipe man. The whole "Work of art unto itself" schtick is utter BS. The radio doesn't play your "work" in it's entirety so why should people have to purchase that way? Yeah I know.."It's all about the money"

SKMDC
2004-07-22, 09:14
how frustrating! you can look but not touch. do i have to establish a british residency or what?
it's fun to look, but maddening not to be able to buy something.

DMBand0026
2004-07-22, 10:33
Your credit card number has to be one from that country or else it wont' work. It kinda sucks, but thats how it goes. That's the reason for the multiple stores.

SKMDC
2004-07-22, 10:37
Your credit card number has to be one from that country or else it wont' work. It kinda sucks, but thats how it goes. That's the reason for the multiple stores.

well i understand the reason, actually no i don't, i can go to amazon uk and buy whatever i want with my "yank" mastercard.
it just annoys me that i can have access to the store but not buy anything.

_Ω_
2004-07-22, 10:40
welcome to my world :lol:

psmith2.0
2004-07-22, 10:41
Are there songs and artists on the UK store that aren't on the US one, or any of the others? :confused:

SKMDC
2004-07-22, 10:49
Are there songs and artists on the UK store that aren't on the US one, or any of the others? :confused:

oh yeah, in my particular case, i was looking at the UK store for the group THE JAM, and they have all of them and the US store, has just one compilation.

i think The Jam are revered in in the UK because they never broke in the states.

psmith2.0
2004-07-22, 11:04
Ha...my band used to play "A Town Called Malice". :)

Good stuff. What about The Smiths? They've got three songs on the US store...any more on the UK one? I'm not near iTunes 4 right now, or I'd look...

SKMDC
2004-07-22, 11:14
Ha...my band used to play "A Town Called Malice". :)

Good stuff. What about The Smiths? They've got three songs on the US store...any more on the UK one? I'm not near iTunes 4 right now, or I'd look...

no, the same three cuts from the smiths (self-titled) album.

goldfish
2004-07-24, 12:48
i think The Jam are revered in in the UK because they never broke in the states.

I doubt anyone in the UK cares whether The Jam broke in the US or not. They're a very anglo-centric band singing about very anglo-centric stuff. "Down in the tube station at midnight" or "Eton Rifles" won't mean much over the pond after all.

As for buying stuff in foreign music stores, it's purely because of the licensing agreements made with the record companies. No doubt you Americans won't have twigged this, but until June, noone outside the US could use the iTMS at all.

Simon

goldfish
2004-07-24, 12:56
If we can't buy, what the hell is the point of going to different iTMS stores?

There isn't one. :D

Simon

Luca
2004-07-24, 13:04
I merged the two "buying music from foreign stores on the iTMS" threads for you guys.

SKMDC
2004-07-24, 13:07
I doubt anyone in the UK cares whether The Jam broke in the US or not. They're a very anglo-centric band singing about very anglo-centric stuff. "Down in the tube station at midnight" or "Eton Rifles" won't mean much over the pond after all.

Simon

the clash was just as anglo centric and did quite well. i used to read trouser press and many other brit music papers and always noticed that when bands broke out, outside the u.k. they got turned on somewhat. it wasn't my imagination.

goldfish
2004-07-24, 13:27
the clash was just as anglo centric and did quite well. i used to read trouser press and many other brit music papers and always noticed that when bands broke out, outside the u.k. they got turned on somewhat. it wasn't my imagination.

It's nice when bands are successful in other markets, but we don't lose sleep if they aren't. It just reinforces our superior taste. ;)

SKMDC
2004-07-24, 13:40
where were you 25 years ago? ;)