PDA

View Full Version : What are the best reasons to wait for mactel 2006?

Bamrae
2005-11-01, 21:18
Buy now or wait for new revolution? I'm in no rush.

atomicbartbeans
2005-11-01, 21:19
If you have the dinero, buy now. Apple has a solid lineup that will serve you well for many years to come. :)

psmith2.0
2005-11-01, 21:36
If you don't have the dinero, buy later. Apple is working on a solid lineup that will serve you well in the year they come. :)

Seriously, it's hard to know. Are you currently without a computer? Are you truly up against it, and losing work/income/enjoyment from your current model?

If so, then buy a Mac now. It's really not rocket science.

NOBODY knows a) when the switch will happen, b) which Macs are slated to go Intel first, second, third, etc., c) what "Rev. A woes" may be present, d) availability and prices and e) what you do for a living and your needs are.

faramirtook
2005-11-01, 22:04
If you have the dinero, buy now. Apple has a solid lineup that will serve you well for many years to come. :)

if you were to buy a new Powermac, you'd still be using it in 2010, and it would still be very useable, because OS X gets faster with each release. And there's no viruses, and everything will be able to be run on Intel and PowerPC forever, conceivably, but at least for the next 7-10 years or so.

SKMDC
2005-11-02, 00:18
My innate fear of buying obsolete equipment is why I'm still on my Commodore.
That and the action of the keyboard........sweet.

admactanium
2005-11-02, 01:23
if you make money from your computer then buy now because there's no reason to risk any business income on the first generation of intel-based macs. that's why i bought my quad-core. i'm an early adopter myself, but in this case, my business needs outweigh my needs to be on the cutting edge. but i would probably buy an intel mac mini or something just to see. :p

gsxrboy
2005-11-02, 23:08
*goes googling for battery powered vic20 & c64's*

byzantium
2005-11-04, 12:24
If you're willing to wait until WWDC for a intel mac (which is how long it might be), then feel free. If you need a machine now; well just about everything got an update in the last 2 months - no reason to wait.

Bamrae
2005-11-04, 20:43
Buy now or wait for new revolution? I'm in no rush.I am looking for accurate info regarding what the new intelmac will be able to do that a ppc is not at this time.

kaseyha
2005-11-04, 21:00
I think that most people are having a hard time imagining much of a "revolution" at all. Things will most likely work like they always have, but on new, faster, more desireable looking hardware. One exception may be the ability to run Winblows natively on an Apple box, so if that trips your trigger, you might want to wait.

Otherwise, buy now. I curse my Quicksilver every day because I have no real excuse to replace it.

Ryan
2005-11-04, 21:26
I am looking for accurate info regarding what the new intelmac will be able to do that a ppc is not at this time.Um, work faster?

Require less power?

Put out less heat?

Cost less?

All the information we have is what we know about the current x86 and PPC offerings. None of us knows what either AMD, Intel or IBM is planning, or what they are capable of offering a few years.

For more speculation, click that cute little button named "Search" at the top of the page. For fact, you'll have to wait and see. Just like the rest of us.

byzantium
2005-11-05, 18:54
Or go look in the Speculation and Rumors forum.

MCQ
2005-11-05, 21:07
I'm in no rush.

You answered your question. Wait till you *need* the computer, then buy. :)