PDA

View Full Version : Programming with Xcode

no1biscuit
2005-11-02, 08:59
Here is my delima. I am starting to program in Xcode (cocoa). I used to program in VB/ASP/.net and I am a switcher. So I currently have a PB17" 1.33 1g. and was wondering if I should by an iMac G5 or a Power Mac. Money is always an issue. If I buy an iMac is performance going to be a problem? Someone also suggested that if I was serious then buy the ADC $1,500 select membership and get the leased Intel box and when it comes time to return it I should have enough money to buy a New Mac. So what do you all think?

Thanks
Thom

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-11-02, 10:01
What is it you're looking for as far as an iMac or PowerMac is concerned?

I do all my Xcode development on my 2003 PowerBook, but I don't have oodles of source slowing down my build times. :) I do know that compiling is worlds faster on my iMac G5. That is, compiling is oodles faster when my iMac G5 is working :( .

no1biscuit
2005-11-02, 10:15
I am looking for a good dual monitor solution to allow programming in one window and help/debugging in the other. I have no performance requirements just want it to be fast... but cheap.
Thanks again.
Thom

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-11-02, 10:20
Well, Apple's i (iMac, iBook) products don't support spanning across multiple monitors, only mirroring (same on both displays). There are hacks to get this working on the iBooks and some iMacs. I'm not sure if the newest model iMacs can use the hack though, check out the list here --> http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html . At the moment it looks like no one has tried on the new iMac models, but I'd keep my eye on this list or use the forum link at the top of the page to see if any new iMac owners have tried the spanning hack. I don't think I'd want to be the first one to try this.

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-11-02, 10:21
Update: According to forum members (not here, but at the forums linked in the page I linked to above), both of the new iMacs work with the screen spanning hack.

carnellm
2005-11-02, 10:29
I am just getting into programming on OSX too. Yes, another switcher. Can anybody provide feedback on the benefits of the paid ADC subscription?

no1biscuit
2005-11-02, 11:07
Thanks for the hack info and yes some ADC subscription info would be awesome....

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-11-02, 12:53
Well, you can get the online ADC subscription which is free. This allows you to download the xCoDe (LOLLERSK8S) updates as well as some other SDKs and such, but no access at all to pre-release software.

Paid ADC memberships bring various benefits, such as hardware discounts. The number of discounts go up as the amount of money you pay goes up. :) If you're interested in the Intel dev box lease, you have to pay at least $1500, although I believe about $999 of that is for the Intel lease.

Paid memberships also get you discounts on WWDC tickets, as well as support incidents where you can talk with Apple engineers and I think you might also get Apple lab access. Your best bet would be to look over the ADC membership info at http://developer.apple.com and check it out.